No announcement yet.

6.5 CM, 300 WIN, or 300 RUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd get a 6.5-- it'll do more than you need it to. That is, it'll take 1,000 ft-lbs. past 800 yards with about half the recoil energy of a .300 WM.
    Shoulder cannons are overrated. If they're so great why is the used gun rack at Cabela's full of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
      6 5mm fever is just a passing fad that started in 1894 in Scandinavia. It should die out any second now!!!
      Excellent

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Oh yeah! What was I thinking? [emoji16]

It’s not like they’ve been killing moose with a 6.5mm for decades or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Incorrect sir, I know of many that have been hammering Moose with a 264 WM for years which is the Grandfather of the 6.5.! CM is nothing new just the latest fad for sales

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
          Incorrect sir, I know of many that have been hammering Moose with a 264 WM for years which is the Grandfather of the 6.5.! CM is nothing new just the latest fad for sales

You definitely missed the sarcasm. [emoji6]

I’m well versed and a big fan of all things 6.5mm.

Well except the Creedmoor. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            You definitely missed the sarcasm. [emoji6]

I’m well versed and a big fan of all things 6.5mm.

Well except the Creedmoor. [emoji16]

My apologies sir, I must have thought I was speaking to someone who just watched Lone Survivor Well played

Comment

The only thing I see is grown men talking about less recoil with 6.5 for the 2 shots a year they take. I guess man cards are in short supply these days! The round is just a run of the mill deer gun when it comes to ballistics. Just the “hot” item right now.

To the OP 300 Win is the best choice of those three for the game listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WOW! Information over load.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                  wow! Opinion over load.

fify

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                    The only thing I see is grown men talking about less recoil with 6.5 for the 2 shots a year they take. I guess man cards are in short supply these days! The round is just a run of the mill deer gun when it comes to ballistics. Just the “hot” item right now.

2 shots? For me, it’s hundreds of shots (if not more). Set up at 1,000 and shoot 40 rounds with a RUM and then slide on over to the smart mat and watch me ring steel at 800. If I’m going to shoot at an animal, I’m for sure putting the range time in. You are correct there is always a hot item and a new approach in driving ammo and rifle sales. However, the necked down magnum approach with very little seated bullet allows for tons of powder capacity all while creating a more stable bullet as it leaves the case. Low drag and long bullets are resulting in better long range accuracy. Again, the average joe deer hunter doesn’t really use the difference. For a sheep/mountain long range hunting rifle it does.

Comment

x2

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                        LOl people get real butt hurt about the whole 6.5 deal. First, I never said a 6.5 wouldn't kill anything (I've owned one and killed plenty with it). Second it was more of a joke than anything. But it's no doubt a fad and it's kinda funny.
                        i disagree. the WSMs were a fad. with the advancements in bullets and of our better understanding, 6.5CM is here to stay.

Comment

do you not go to the range to practice?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Did you just come out of the closet?

Are you referring to the .308 comment or my comment in general as I don't post much anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                              Are you referring to the .308 comment or my comment in general as I don't post much anymore?
                              Yes!!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                Yes!!
                                And how did I know that would be your reply? lol

As far as the .308, I threw that in the mix just to ruffle some feathers but to also make a point. What's one of the calibers that a "new" calibers are always compared against when discussing ballistics? The .308 Hard to overlook a tried and true round. The threads of the "best" all around cartridge always make me snicker... There isn't a "best" round, only a "best" shot. It's ALL about shot placement. Every round has it's pros and cons. This is a bow hunting site (for the most part), right? How many of the large game that people reference in the "best" cartridge threads have been killed with a sharp pointy stick? Every one of them! When I see "best", whether it's a cartridge, broadhead, arrow, bow, etc., all I see is "what will make up for a poor shot placement"? Know your equipment, know yourself and know your limitations, that's "best" IMO

And I still lurk, just post a little more during hunting season these days.

Hope you're doing well

Comment

Working...
                                X