6.5 CM, 300 WIN, or 300 RUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
    LOl people get real butt hurt about the whole 6.5 deal. First, I never said a 6.5 wouldn't kill anything (I've owned one and killed plenty with it). Second it was more of a joke than anything. But it's no doubt a fad and it's kinda funny.

I am not butt hurt to be clear . I own plenty of rifles. Fad Well I do not think so but time will tell who is right and who is wrong . Hard to find a platform or manufacture today that is not using this round .

The 6.5 does have a place its a popular round and more and more guns being built in that caliber

But this is copy paste on a review that I read and it had me laughing . Enjoy the read

Q: I see lots of online haters and skeptics and memes that say the Creedmoor is not as good as the 6.5 Swede or the .260 Remington or the .7mm-08, and on and on. What gives?

A: In these joyless times, there are many lost and hollow souls who find reassurance in belittling that which they do not understand. These ignorant wretches have probably never shot a Creedmoor, or even seen one. The average Creedmoor hater is an 8th-grade dropout who spells it “Creedmore.” And in any event, never believe anything you read on the internet.

Q: Is the Creedmoor powerful enough for big deer and elk?

A: Contrary to popular opinion (some of which I’ve aided and abetted, to my shame), elk are not made of bronze or Kevlar, nor do they wear bulletproof ceramic armor. When I hunted in Sweden, I brought a .338 because we were hunting moose, and what I found was a whole bunch of 6.5x55s and 7x57s in the hands of Swedes who looked at me as though I was nuts for carrying such a cannon.

If you shoot a big deer or a moose or an elk in the lungs with a good, strong 140-grain bullet, it will keel over dead. End of story.

Q: If the Creedmoor is really so good, I should probably get one, right?

A: If you want a rifle for hunting within the traditional 300-yard limit, there’s no reason not to get a Creedmoor, but there are other rounds that will do the job as well. If you’re planning to hunt beyond 300, then either the Creedmoor or the .308 should be your two top contenders. If you plan to buy a dual-*purpose rifle to hunt and compete, the same answer applies. The beauty of the Creedmoor is that it kicks noticeably less than the .308, which for most shooters makes it the better choice.

Put simply, it’s hard to go wrong with the 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s a combination of insightful design, top quality, and super performance that is very, very rare. Is it everything people say it is? Maybe not. But even its most sycophantic devotee is not exactly wrong to gush.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
      I would split the difference and get a 7mm of some sort. 7 Remington Mag, Short Mag, or .280 for example. I used to own a 300 win mag and got tired of acting like the recoil didn't affect me.
      X2 on the 7Mag

Comment

The 6.5 can and has handled all of those animals quite well. It can be a tad light in some cases for Elk but the Swedes have been killing Moose for a long time with the 6.5. The 6.5 will have better barrel life, and considerably less recoil than either of the .300's. That being said, the .300's are hard to beat and there are many amazing custom guns in both calibers. Texas Custom Rifles( txrifles.com ) has done some amazing shooters in the RUM but the barrel life is sorta short. It will knock down any game in North America without any challenge though.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
          I am not butt hurt to be clear . I own plenty of rifles. Fad Well I do not think so but time will tell who is right and who is wrong . Hard to find a platform or manufacture today that is not using this round .

The 6.5 does have a place its a popular round and more and more guns being built in that caliber

But this is copy paste on a review that I read and it had me laughing . Enjoy the read

Q: I see lots of online haters and skeptics and memes that say the Creedmoor is not as good as the 6.5 Swede or the .260 Remington or the .7mm-08, and on and on. What gives?

A: In these joyless times, there are many lost and hollow souls who find reassurance in belittling that which they do not understand. These ignorant wretches have probably never shot a Creedmoor, or even seen one. The average Creedmoor hater is an 8th-grade dropout who spells it “Creedmore.” And in any event, never believe anything you read on the internet.

Q: Is the Creedmoor powerful enough for big deer and elk?

A: Contrary to popular opinion (some of which I’ve aided and abetted, to my shame), elk are not made of bronze or Kevlar, nor do they wear bulletproof ceramic armor. When I hunted in Sweden, I brought a .338 because we were hunting moose, and what I found was a whole bunch of 6.5x55s and 7x57s in the hands of Swedes who looked at me as though I was nuts for carrying such a cannon.

If you shoot a big deer or a moose or an elk in the lungs with a good, strong 140-grain bullet, it will keel over dead. End of story.

Q: If the Creedmoor is really so good, I should probably get one, right?

A: If you want a rifle for hunting within the traditional 300-yard limit, there’s no reason not to get a Creedmoor, but there are other rounds that will do the job as well. If you’re planning to hunt beyond 300, then either the Creedmoor or the .308 should be your two top contenders. If you plan to buy a dual-*purpose rifle to hunt and compete, the same answer applies. The beauty of the Creedmoor is that it kicks noticeably less than the .308, which for most shooters makes it the better choice.

Put simply, it’s hard to go wrong with the 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s a combination of insightful design, top quality, and super performance that is very, very rare. Is it everything people say it is? Maybe not. But even its most sycophantic devotee is not exactly wrong to gush.

Man I'm not really trying to argue with ya. I don't have anything against any calibers. There's always guys that have stated they have, or can kill anything with any caliber. I know an 85 year old man who has probably killed more deer than anyone on the green screen. His gun of choice is a .22 mag. I was just making a joke about the 6.5 group.
          Last edited by Arrowthreat; 11-16-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

300wm and put a break on it and never look back

Comment

Depends how far you want to take down an animal, according to an elk guide I hunted with. He scoffed at my 7 mag and recommended either use a 300 RUM or a 338 RUM.
              I ended up using his 338 RUM to take down a bull at 525 yds.
              I now own a 300 RUM. My dad uses 300 WM. Neither of us have connected yet with animals (since we just recently got the rifles and haven’t hunted enough yet), but I’m confident that they’ll both get the job done.
              I’m a bit of a wimp, so I definitely recommend that you get a muzzle break and limbsaver pad. And wear hearing protection ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                Man I'm not really trying to argue with ya. I don't have anything against any calibers. There's always guys that have stated they have, or can kill anything with any caliber. I know an 85 year old man who has probably killed more deer than anyone on the green screen. His gun of choice is a .22 mag. I was just making a joke about the bandwagon of the 6.5 group. But you gotta admit, people are very defensive about that caliber.
                Yes they are For one I do not get the man bun jokes though oxymoron but maybe I just really do not get it HA HA

To me its a balanced and blueprinted 308 . I build engines for a living so that is how I look at it myself . its a refined caliber

Looking back though we have soooo many choices today the entire WSM section the RUM selection the RUM SA selection, then we have all of the MAG calibers. then your STD calibers . an argument can be made for so many , if its recoil barrel life, bullet weight , cost of ammo belted or non belted etc etc etc .

One do all caliber well HA HA let the games begin . I have a love of math always have so the ballistic's are something I enjoy .

I use to reload but have zero time for it today .

A few pics of me shooting 878 on a steel plate pic is through spotting scope not the best set up but it works . Rig AR 10 308 178 Amax hand loads ringing steel all day was a very fun outting . In AZ its easy to go just about any where up north where I lived to shoot LR .

DSCF1968 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

38949012_1821428501227512_2635880034383953920_n by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                  Yes they are For one I do not get the man bun jokes though oxymoron but maybe I just really do not get it HA HA

To me its a balanced and blueprinted 308 . I build engines for a living so that is how I look at it myself . its a refined caliber

Looking back though we have soooo many choices today the entire WSM section the RUM selection the RUM SA selection, then we have all of the MAG calibers. then your STD calibers . an argument can be made for so many , if its recoil barrel life, bullet weight , cost of ammo belted or non belted etc etc etc .

One do all caliber well HA HA let the games begin . I have a love of math always have so the ballistic's are something I enjoy .

I use to reload but have zero time for it today .

A few pics of me shooting 878 on a steel plate pic is through spotting scope not the best set up but it works . Rig AR 10 308 178 Amax hand loads ringing steel all day was a very fun outting . In AZ its easy to go just about any where up north where I lived to shoot LR .

DSCF1968 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

38949012_1821428501227512_2635880034383953920_n by GMR Performance, on Flickr
                  That's a shot for sure.

Comment

If some need it to be about mathematics, the best Creedmoor won't ever measure up to the 7Mag. That's even while limiting the 7Mag to only 162gr. All the while, the bullet drop is also less.

Comment

Yes and a 7 mag vs a 7 RUM lets you add another 300+ to still be above the 1000 energy level over the 7 Mag with mild loads I know guys that have loaded the 7 RUM to the ragged edge vs the 7 mag loaded the same way and getting over 3100 on a 180 pill .

I own a 7 mag I do not own a 7 RUM however I would buy one if the deal was right .

You could throw the 7MM STW into the mix another rifle I do not own that seemed to be a passing round you do not hear much about it today

SOme one made a 7mm -300 RUM as a wildcat years back it was CRAZY fast

lets not forget the 408 tac round I mean it really never ends . Right down to my buddy that hunts with a 50 BMG yes massive know down at 1500 with easy . He has a You tube video of dumping a elk at 1380 on the spot . At what point is enough ?? A guy I would see time to time at the matches shot a 20MM gun 1500 grn bullet effective range ha ha well lets say way further than most will every shoot 3 mile range HA HA .

AZ is full of gun nuts and mean some are very nutty . Hunting with such a gun people say cannot be done well you dont have to move much find a very high shooting spot the best glass and wait .

Comment

Thanks for all the knowledge everybody

Comment

300WM for everything. Overkill on the low end and good for larger game. 300 RUM is some stout recoil. 6.5 is the current fad round and would be a little light for larger game IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                            Did you just come out of the closet?

Comment

If I were to pick from that list, I would get 6.5 Creedmoor and the 300 RUM. You would have most everything covered with those two. For the range of game you are talking about, I would not pick just one of those calibers, but it could be done, with any of the three.

Comment

Most certainly between the RUM and Creedmoor. The 6.5 has proven to be one of the best and common choices amongst long range shooters. It would do everything in North America outside of brown and grizzly bears. Moose is most certainly questionable. Barrel life on the 6.5 is much better, along with recoil friendly. The RUM is a beast in a bench and it almost forces you into a heavy platform rifle. The 6.5 out of the choices given would most certainly be my choice, but not my overall choice considering all calibers.

Comment

Working...
                                X