Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a new zero turn (need opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
    I'd be getting one of these $600 jewels and keeping that 12 year old JD working.
    I would love to repower and keep on using, but i dont want to shell out the 3k cash when i can borrow at 0%

Comment

Originally posted by Krk77486 View Post
      You may want to go back and look at your dads reciept. New 23hp kawasaki online is about $1800 and not a direct replacement. New 25hp is about $1900. 26hp honda conversion kit is $2400 and needs a little fab work toget it on there. These prices are for MOTOR ONLY. Direct replacement kawasaki from john deere is over $3k plus labor. May be worth the drive to the dealer your dad used if your numbers are correct.
      For 3k I'd drop a small block Chevy in it.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
        For 3k I'd drop a small block Chevy in it.
        Thats why im looking for a new mower.

Comment

I would love to repower and keep on using, but i dont want to shell out the 3k cash when i can borrow at 0%
          I did a little google-fu based on the model you have.
          If the shaft that runs the clutch is vertical (up and down) you can get out on the cheap (sometimes)
          If the shaft runs front to back (horizontal) - might as well scrap it.
          Then, there are a lot of other things that come into play in both scenarios above like muffler mounts and locations / wiring to the existing harness - even throttle and choke cable setups---------

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
            I did a little google-fu based on the model you have.
            If the shaft that runs the clutch is vertical (up and down) you can get out on the cheap (sometimes)
            If the shaft runs front to back (horizontal) - might as well scrap it.
            Then, there are a lot of other things that come into play in both scenarios above like muffler mounts and locations / wiring to the existing harness - even throttle and choke cable setups---------
            Horrizontal shafts...

Comment

You may want to go back and look at your dads reciept. New 23hp kawasaki online is about $1800 and not a direct replacement. New 25hp is about $1900. 26hp honda conversion kit is $2400 and needs a little fab work toget it on there. These prices are for MOTOR ONLY. Direct replacement kawasaki from john deere is over $3k plus labor. May be worth the drive to the dealer your dad used if your numbers are correct.

I know that’s what it was because it really surprised both of us. He was actually just planning on buying a new one too, but the guy that runs the shop at the jd house told him to let him at least price it. He did, and like I say, we were surprised at how cheap it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Horrizontal shafts...
                PM me pictures of the tags on your mower's engine. That will tell me more.
                But like you already said,,,,,, and I tell people this at least once a week....... (quality) internal engine work cost as much in labor and parts as a brand new engine --- it chokes down the repair shop with dealing with little stuff (their money maker) --- engines are sold to the manufacture in 10's, if not hundreds of thousands in a package - not one by one so there is no price break.

Comment

15 years on a Grasshopper, been a great mower

Comment

Originally posted by txarcher View Post
                    I know that’s what it was because it really surprised both of us. He was actually just planning on buying a new one too, but the guy that runs the shop at the jd house told him to let him at least price it. He did, and like I say, we were surprised at how cheap it was.

Sounds like i need to make another call in the morning. Any idea if your dad has a similar motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
                      PM me pictures of the tags on your mower's engine. That will tell me more.
                      But like you already said,,,,,, and I tell people this at least once a week....... (quality) internal engine work cost as much in labor and parts as a brand new engine --- it chokes down the repair shop with dealing with little stuff (their money maker) --- engines are sold to the manufacture in 10's, if not hundreds of thousands in a package - not one by one so there is no price break.
                      I will look tomorrow evening when i get home to see if i can find a tag on the engine.

Comment

Sounds like i need to make another call in the morning. Any idea if your dad has a similar motor?

I’ll ask him all of the specifics about it tomorrow and get back with you.

Comment

Just found out jd has 0% for 48 as well. Now looking at a z920m and a z930m. Anyone have any experience with these 2?

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                            Scag makes some good stuff. Have a scag freedom z and it’s held strong for the last 5 years.

Same here, Love my Freedom Z Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 312InchMagnum View Post
                              Love my Ferris! Ride is amazing.

x10000000000

Comment

Started out with a Toro 56" cut (plus or minus). It seemed to wear out pretty quick so I got a Scag Tiger Cub (53" or so) and have had it for about 7 years. Very heavy duty rig that can take a lot of use and keep on ticking. Will probably buy another Scag this summer.

BTW, anyone know a good tire source for these mowers? I'm talking about the big rear tires.

Comment

Working...
                                X