No announcement yet.

Menard 2018-2019 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but... some of y'all have mentioned axis and other exotics... I am looking in the Menard area(among others) for some property to retire on. I would like to have exotics on the place.

For you folks in McCulloch & Menard counties, where would be a good place to look for land that has exotics?

I Have talked to realtors about the ranches split up about 12 miles SW of Eden... are there others.

I hunt out towards Kerrville and can not get the axis to come to a feeder for nutin. They pass through though.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but... some of y'all have mentioned axis and other exotics... I am looking in the Menard area(among others) for some property to retire on. I would like to have exotics on the place.

For you folks in McCulloch & Menard counties, where would be a good place to look for land that has exotics?

I Have talked to realtors about the ranches split up about 12 miles SW of Eden... are there others.

I hunt out towards Kerrville and can not get the axis to come to a feeder for nutin. They pass through though.
      If you’re talking about the mesquite springs subdivision I haven’t heard anything good about it. We have axis and blackbuck. we are on the NW side of the county. I’ve seen them in ft mckavett and a few dead ones outside London. Junction has a good bit of exotics as well

Comment

Some serious flooding occurred in the last 2 days between Brady and Menard.. Our stock tanks went from being very low to running around the dams.. It takes a lot of water to do this.. We also had 400 feet or so of fence washed out and a gate was washed out also.. We had Damaging hail and very high wind too.
        In 19 years on this place we have seen some very serious rains but we have never lost any fence.. On the radar we had pink setting over us for several hours. I have no idea how much water fell but it was A LOT!!!!!!

Comment

We are between hext and mason. Needing rain and it sounds like we got some!! Right off CR1222. Got a few bucks I’m hoping blow up this year. Pounding the protein. I gotta get back and fill them up again. They are most certainly empty but corn is spinning. Work has me tied up

Comment

I got another .7" at the house yesterday evening. Lots of wind!!!!
            If you are looking for land in the area, give me a call as I sell a few ranches and know everyone here as I was President of Menard Bank for 7 years.
            I would not buy any land in any of the subdivisions as the tracts are too small to hunt and most do not have water and you will never be able to get water. I will say that Menard County may be the best buy as values are not as high as Mason or Kimble Counties and the hunting is generally better and the soils are more fertile.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
              I got another .7" at the house yesterday evening. Lots of wind!!!!
              If you are looking for land in the area, give me a call as I sell a few ranches and know everyone here as I was President of Menard Bank for 7 years.
              I would not buy any land in any of the subdivisions as the tracts are too small to hunt and most do not have water and you will never be able to get water. I will say that Menard County may be the best buy as values are not as high as Mason or Kimble Counties and the hunting is generally better and the soils are more fertile.
              Adios,
              Gary
              i was seeing tracts in Lost Trail Ranch & Live Oak Creek...

why no water ? can a well be drilled? I am looking for a place to retire and have exotics on it...mostly to watch...some to fill the freezer

Comment

There is no ground water in some areas of the county. They have drilled four wells in the Mesquite Springs subdivision and so far one of them is producing a quart a minute.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Does anyone know the rain totals in London? I know it isn't too far from Hext, just not sure if the rain made it that far.

Comment

It has rained the last two evenings, depending where you are I would say 2"-4" most likely. Junction did not get any on Monday but got about 1.5" yesterday.
                    Adios,
                    gary

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo2091 View Post
                      Does anyone know the rain totals in London? I know it isn't too far from Hext, just not sure if the rain made it that far.
                      LCRA is showing 2 - 5 inches in that area over the last 3 days. The further ssw you go the less it is. Gary is right about the 1.5 in Junction.

Comment

Hey fellas! New to the area. We are hunting at 1773 and 1221 in SE Menard County! We have been up there twice this year and the place shows promising signs! Anybody hunt in that area can give me any input as to what we can expect? We have jumped up turkeys and wt on both visits! Thanks, buddy.

Comment

Welcome to the neighborhood Buddy! I have hunted the area north and south of you for close to thirty years. If you feed, they will come. Lots of deer and the Axis trickle in and out. A good deer in that area will be 120'ish, a great deer will be 130'ish. You will see lots of young bucks and good numbers. The rut really amps up just before Thanksgiving and we have found great success in the secondary rut in early December. Pay attention to those low water crossings as they can fill up fast and may hinder your travel. Lots of folks on this forum hunt close so will get more feedback. Welcome again and good luck this season.

Comment

Awesome! Yeah we put up cameras this last go around just to get a feel of what’s out there. The first night we had turkeys, a few does, and one buck. Looked to be mature but a little early to tell. Thanks for the info and I can’t wait to hear more! Can’t seem to figure out how to post a pic or I’d show you the one we have. Any help?
                            Last edited by Buddy2009; 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Sorry Bud, I do not post pics. Someone will chime in though.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2009 View Post
                                Hey fellas! New to the area. We are hunting at 1773 and 1221 in SE Menard County! We have been up there twice this year and the place shows promising signs! Anybody hunt in that area can give me any input as to what we can expect? We have jumped up turkeys and wt on both visits! Thanks, buddy.

We are off of 1773.
                                We have WT, hogs, Turkey, and blackbucks

We’ve seen axis right at the intersection of 1221 and 1773

Comment

Working...
                                X