What to do with an uneaten turnip plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with an uneaten turnip plot?

This was my 1st year trying turnips, which the deer haven't eaten any of, besides some leaves. ~1/3 ac

Should I just lime now and over-seed with some clover for spring and use the plants for cover or disc them in real good before planting? I'm planning on tripling the size of this plot for spring.

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
    This was my 1st year trying turnips, which the deer haven't eaten any of, besides some leaves. ~1/3 ac

Should I just lime now and over-seed with some clover for spring and use the plants for cover or disc them in real good before planting? I'm planning on tripling the size of this plot for spring.
    Yep that would work

Comment

Eat them!

Comment

The hogs didn't find them??

Comment

I let them feed the worms and overseed in spring with summer cultivars

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
            Eat them!

I took a bite out of one but they aren't too good.

Originally posted by wickll View Post
            The hogs didn't find them??

Luckily I don't have hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cut them up in small pieces and put in a skillet. Not much different than mashed potatoes

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                Cut them up in small pieces and put in a skillet. Not much different than mashed potatoes
                Try this

I never took a bite out of a raw one

Comment

Go thru and pull some up and leave laying on top. If the deer finally decide to eat one they may decide they like the actual turnip also. I think they mainly eat the greens tho. Should be good for your soul when you dial for the next round or plots if they aren't eaten.

Comment

Peel, cut in 3/8" cubes , boil till soft, drain, butter, salt and pepper!

Comment

They absolutely hammered mine earlier this month before it got really cold. I should have picked more before they froze out, I love to eat them.

Comment

Normally the hit them really hard after they freeze becuase that when they get sweet. You can pick some and eat them or pull a few up so the deer know what they are. I had deer them up one year and didn't the next. Don't know why

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          I let them feed the worms and overseed in spring with summer cultivars
                          This, he knows more than most of us on here combined and it works, proof is in the pudding on his place.

Comment

[ATTACH]894283[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]894284[/ATTACH]

They just started eating them, after this last cold spell. I been eating one ever now and then and noticed after this freeze we had, they seemed to have gotten sweeter. Hogs have not messed with them at all. I have about 6 acres of turnips and Daikon radishes but the deer done ate all the Daikons.
                            Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I'll grab a couple later this week to cook up. I had pulled a few a month ago for the deer to see, but they are still lying there. At least they break up the soil nice for the next planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X