Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angelina national forest

Anyone ever hunt the Angelina forest ?

Which area in particular are you inquiring about? I hunt some of it off of 63 in Jasper County.

Comment

Mainly I'd prob start off with the area south west of the Neches river but I'm wanting to know about any of it really. Just like maybe some tips on hunting that area. And if you've ever had any luck there before. This will also be my first year to hunt public land.

Comment

I've never hunted that area. I mainly hunt around the lake. Key is to get well off the beaten path, find good sign and climb a tree as high as you can. There's some good deer out there just have to be extremely stealthy and patient.

Comment

How much of a hike is it would you say from the road where you park your vechile to the lake ?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxophilite_96 View Post
            How much of a hike is it would you say from the road where you park your vechile to the lake ?

Varies from location to location. I hunt one part where it's only about a 300 yard hike. There's another that I hunt that is close to a mile.

Comment

Make sure you cya on the rules. Those tree cops that work for the forest service are very over zealous. They even like to issue speeding tickets as an example.

Comment

Same experience with the rangers when I lived in jasper. They came into camp one night with their hands on their guns and shining a spotlight in my face. Took them about 20 minutes to figure out they couldnt bust me for anything.

Comment

I hunt adjacent to the national forest and spend a lot of time hiking and exploring it. I'm primarily familiar with the forest south of the lake.

A lot of those woods are upland pine, but there is a fair amount of hardwood. Both hold deer, but I'd give a nod to the hardwood bottoms for higher game numbers.

My best advice is to really spend some time on the web and dig into maps and familiarize your self with roads and trails and borders. It is a checker board of public and private land and you don't want to accidentally find yourself on a hunting club.

There are PDF maps on the USDA website. You can buy good printed topographical maps on the USDA website as well. Those maps will show the campgrounds. There are also Corps of Engineers camp grounds on Sam Rayburn. Do your exploring on Google Earth first. You can tell from the canopy aerial images what areas are pine and what areas are hardwood.

You will also need to scout. Many "trails" that show up on Google or maps no longer exist. Some are very faint. Find some areas that you would like to explore on paper / computer first then go spend a couple days there scouting. Stop by and visit at the ranger station. They will probably help you a lot. I have had very good experiences with the rangers.

Comment

Okay thanks !

Comment

Our lease a few years ago was 250 acres surrounded by the Angelina. We had quite a few quality deer over the years on camera. Planning to go hunt near the old lease a few times this year. I never saw many vehicles parked around our area but those were the spookiest deer I've ever hunted.

Comment

Working...
                      X