Chisel Plow Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chisel Plow Question

Does anyone have any experience with a chisel plow similar to the King Kutter one shown below:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-07_13-00-16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	25116169

Currently, we have a 6ft Armstrong Ag disc harrow, but I was thinking that it would be better for us to use a chisel plow on our fields in early September, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then run our disc over it to chop it all up. I thought it might be more beneficial for us to get down deeper to break up the soil a little more to allow rain to soak in deep. These are for fall food plots (oats, wheat, rye and other). I wasn't sure if this chisel plow would hold up or not for our part of Texas (Menard County). Curious to get yalls thoughts on using a chisel plow and if it would help our success rate or not.

Chisel Plow Question

I use a chisel plow and it works pretty good for me. Here's where I have problems with it. If I try to plow an area thats never been plowed and has fair size rocks, it gets hung up or will actually bend the chisels. If I plow an area where tall grass/weeds are standing, it gets bogged up pretty quick. So I have to keep going back and pulling the weeds out by hand. That really slows things down and its a lot of work.

Other than that it does a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
      I use a chisel plow and it works pretty good for me. Here's where I have problems with it. If I try to plow an area thats never been plowed and has fair size rocks, it gets hung up or will actually bend the chisels. If I plow an area where tall grass/weeds are standing, it gets bogged up pretty quick. So I have to keep going back and pulling the weeds out by hand. That really slows things down and its a lot of work.

Other than that it does a great job.

Do you shred first. That seems to help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        Do you shred first. That seems to help a lot.

Yes, now, I didn't before, but even after shredding if the grass was pretty thick and long it will clog up.

I'm my case I'm only plowing up my food plots and the deer keep it down to almost nothing. So when I come back and plow again its no problem.

Comment

I think it would be beneficial in certain soils and circumstances. It certainly will allow for moisture to penetrate deeper. The question is, is what you're planting gonna benefit from deep moisture ? I have one that I've never used, simply because I've never seen the need. Of course, it's hard to prove it doesn't work if you never use it.

Comment

Agree if you have lots of grass, shredded or not, a chisel is going to clog up.

On a positive note, I had a field that was practically dirt for several years with no grass or anything. I decided to run the chisel and disc on it. We now have a natural clover field that comes back every year and the deer love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
              Agree if you have lots of grass, shredded or not, a chisel is going to clog up.

On a positive note, I had a field that was practically dirt for several years with no grass or anything. I decided to run the chisel and disc on it. We now have a natural clover field that comes back every year and the deer love it.

[emoji106]

Comment

We strictly only plant fall food plots so cereal grains are the main seeds we broadcast. I just wanted to get yalls thoughts on if this would type of chisel plow would help us prepare the soil and improve the seedbed anymore than just using our disk.

Comment

Chisel Plow Question

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  We strictly only plant fall food plots so cereal grains are the main seeds we broadcast. I just wanted to get yalls thoughts on if this would type of chisel plow would help us prepare the soil and improve the seedbed anymore than just using our disk.

I really don't think it would be "better". Maybe under some conditions but I think as a rule the disc is probably just at good. You know there is a thought that the more dirt you turn over the more moisture you take out of it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-07_14-12-36.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	24498157
                    I also found this Fred Cain 5-shank chisel plow with loaded springs. This is about $900, which is $600 more than the King Kutter. I would think the springs would help against rocks and other trash. If a lot of you guys just use a disk to prepare your seedbed and don't plow, please help me understand how you cut through the grass and really get the soil ready to plant.

Comment

On just fall plots it would depend on what type of ground cover you are starting with. If you don't want to go the chisel route you can shred then roundup spray a couple weeks before discing. Those light chisels like that with a light tractor aren't going to do what you probably think it will. Most fall plots you shouldn't need the chisel to prepare the seedbed.

Comment

Thanks for the input. We will disk the field a few extra times this year and hang our chain harrow behind the disk to help break up the clods and level it out at the same time. After doing that, we will broadcast the seed and then drag over it one more time with the chain harrow to lightly cover the seed. If we find a cultipacker for a decent price before then, we will add that to the arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                          Thanks for the input. We will disk the field a few extra times this year and hang our chain harrow behind the disk to help break up the clods and level it out at the same time. After doing that, we will broadcast the seed and then drag over it one more time with the chain harrow to lightly cover the seed. If we find a cultipacker for a decent price before then, we will add that to the arsenal.
                          You have the capability/tractor size to get a heavier disk ?

Comment

Have used both. found the king cutter like chisel works great, especially when there is a little moisture in the soil. Also, doesn't pull up the rocks as much as the traditional chisel plow does. Big chisel = big rocks on top of the ground. It won't go as deep, but seems to work really well and you can cover a lot of ground quickly. its also easy to handle and connect/disconnect. Another thing I tried that seemed to work really well is I'd connect it with a chain harrow behind it. Then i use a 4 inch PVC pipe I rigged up that looks like an upside down T. I drilled holes in it and then bunge cord it to the front of the chisel. As I road along, I can drop seed from a bag/coffee cans down the pipe and the seed would spread along the pipe and feed out through the holes, get turned over by the chisel, then smoothed out by the chain harrow, all in one pass. Down side is its not perfectly spread, you can't hold a beer while you do it, but for the time saving, i'll live with that.

Comment

Need utility tractor, 10hp per chisel minimum.

Comment

Working...
                              X