Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedars and Mesquites...kill em all!

Comment

Well years ago, we hunted on a place outside of Boerne, a old woman owned the place. We noticed they had pushed over a lot of cedar tree stumps after cutting the trees off, about 1 1/2 ft. from the base. There were cedar tree stumps pushed over all over the place. We had no idea why they did not just push them all into big piles and burn them. The ranch foreman told us that the land owner sells them to companies that make perfume. Some how they use those dried cedar stumps in making perfume. They had to be dried. I may be remembering it wrong, but I think the old woman was getting about $1500 per stump, depending on size. This was back in the early 90s. Every once in a while we would see a 18 wheeler with a flat bed trailer show up and they would go around the property picking up cedar stumps. I think the first time we saw that, is when we asked what they were doing. We were trying to hunt and there was a 18 wheeler driving around the property with a bunch of guys walking the place picking up stumps and putting them on the trailer. Never heard of anyone doing that since. That old woman was very wealthy, not sure who her connections were. That ranch sold while we were hunting on it. It became part of Tapatio Springs Golf Course, they built some very expensive houses all over that ranch and some other surrounding ranches. That ranch is where the Tapatio springs originate from, was a very nice place.

Other than perfume being made from the stumps, the trees are used for cedar fencing. There are people who still use cedar fence posts. Then they use raw cedar for decorative purposes in houses, ect.
      I am all for burning them all.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
        How big?
        The one I measured had a 16" diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          Well years ago, we hunted on a place outside of Boerne, a old woman owned the place. We noticed they had pushed over a lot of cedar tree stumps after cutting the trees off, about 1 1/2 ft. from the base. There were cedar tree stumps pushed over all over the place. We had no idea why they did not just push them all into big piles and burn them. The ranch foreman told us that the land owner sells them to companies that make perfume. Some how they use those dried cedar stumps in making perfume. They had to be dried. I may be remembering it wrong, but I think the old woman was getting about $1500 per stump, depending on size. This was back in the early 90s. Every once in a while we would see a 18 wheeler with a flat bed trailer show up and they would go around the property picking up cedar stumps. I think the first time we saw that, is when we asked what they were doing. We were trying to hunt and there was a 18 wheeler driving around the property with a bunch of guys walking the place picking up stumps and putting them on the trailer. Never heard of anyone doing that since. That old woman was very wealthy, not sure who her connections were. That ranch sold while we were hunting on it. It became part of Tapatio Springs Golf Course, they built some very expensive houses all over that ranch and some other surrounding ranches. That ranch is where the Tapatio springs originate from, was a very nice place.

Other than perfume being made from the stumps, the trees are used for cedar fencing. There are people who still use cedar fence posts. Then they use raw cedar for decorative purposes in houses, ect.
          I believe that was Mrs gumbert , or maybe uchart , a land developer here in boerne hired some cedar choppers to clear his new development and was PO’d
          When he found out the chopper had made a huge profit off the stays, post and corner post , and he wanted a piece of the action, very hard work and very time consuming, and not all cedar is created equal in value

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post

If that's true then you can come get all the stumps you want. I'll split the money with you and we will both be rich.

Comment

Its amazing reading this thread and then looking at the cost of a piece of $300 cedar wood at Rockler Woodworking supplies in Houston. They HAVE a value I guess you just got to find the right buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Its amazing reading this thread and then looking at the cost of a piece of $300 cedar wood at Rockler Woodworking supplies in Houston. They HAVE a value I guess you just got to find the right buyer.
                Maybe they are worth a bunch because most folks burn them?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Very few mills will take cedar, so it really drives logs cost way down. Probably the reason it is so high in lumber is there is so much scrap on a cedar compared to other stuff, plus eastern has too much white wood in it....

Comment

Big ones look good as post on porches and barns. Maybe you can find a user/bidnessman/craftsperson that can make something out of them and save you some work?

Comment

We need a TBH cedar sponsor. Someone who will come out and clear cedar trees off my ranch and leave the place clean...And then since I'm dreaming go ahead and pay me for the trees LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X