Got bit by a black widow!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got bit by a black widow!!

While getting dressed at our cabin, I put on a pair of warm ups on that had been laying on the carpet over night. Well I made a joke that there was probably a spider in them ( since we have killed bout 50 on this lease in the last year)! Well turns out I wasn't joking. It bit mr on my right calf/ akilies heel. So now we are headed to the big town of Eden to get medical attention. Hope it doesn't bother mr too bad just just wondering what y'all think I should to to take care of this. Thanks

I'm no doctor but from what I know the venom can be very dangerous. There have been cases of death, but are very rare. The antivenom is awesome. It takes effect almost imediatly. As long as you don't have an allergic reaction, again rare, it is the way to go if you are feeling the effects of the bite.

Comment

Originally posted by dccytclr View Post
      So now we are headed to the big town of Eden to get medical attention.

I think you're doing what you need to.Good luck and keep us updated.

DJ

Comment

From Google

Black widow spider
        The female black widow gives the more serious bite, but its bite is rarely lethal. You can identify this spider by the red hourglass marking on its belly. The bite feels like a pinprick. You may not even know you've been bitten. At first you may notice only slight swelling and faint red marks. Within a few hours, though, intense pain and stiffness begin. Other signs and symptoms of a black widow spider bite include:
        • Chills
        • Fever
        • Nausea
        • Severe abdominal pain
        If bitten by a spider
        Clean the site of the spider bite well with soap and water. Apply a cool compress over the spider bite location. Aspirin or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) may be used to relieve minor signs and symptoms in adults. Don't give aspirin to children. Give children acetaminophen instead. Treatment in a medical facility may be necessary for children under 6 years old and for adults with severe signs and symptoms.
        If bitten by a brown recluse or black widow spider
        1. If possible, make a positive identification. If the spider bite is on an arm or a leg, tie a snug bandage above the bite to help slow or halt the venom's spread. Ensure that the bandage is not so tight as to cut off circulation in the arm or the leg.
        2. Use a cold cloth at the spider bite location. Apply a cloth dampened with cold water or filled with ice.
        3. Seek immediate medical attention. Treatment for the bite of a black widow may require an antivenom medication. Doctors may treat a brown recluse spider bite with corticosteroids.
        Good luck.

Comment

Well leave it to the all mighty moderator to come up with actual information. Good info to have Keith. Glad to hear that it usually isn't nearly as serious as I thought.

Comment

Speedy recovery to you.

Great information Kieth...I will print this off and take a copy for our lease camp for quick referance.

CT

Comment

Well just got back to our cabin and the doc says he is not sure that it was a black widow since I smashed him so bad. If it was a bw he didn't get very much venom in me since I smashed him as soon as I felt something crawling in my pants. So now I'm sitting here watching a hunting show drinking coffee, textimgnguys on our place to see how thy are doin, wishing I was out in a popup. Well I'll be out there this afternoon. Thanks for y'alls thoughts and be sure to check your clothes before you get dresses in the morning!!!!

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok! I had a huge one almost land on my hand when I opened a door a few weeks ago. It scared the crap outa me.

Comment

Glad to hear that you are OK. Get after them this afternoon!

Comment

Could have been a common brown spider, too. Black widows are unusally shiny, like patent leather. Common browns are harmless, other than the normal "more than 4 legs allergic reaction". I'm glad to hear you are ok and relaxing.

We have lots of common browns, but this year, out in the pastures, underneath things we've found 4 black widows in a day. We haven't seen any in a few years. I guess the rain has them up and out. 2 were under a panel gate which was on the ground and one was in a bright orange hazard cone, and I cant remember the last one.

Comment

had the same thing happen to me at the ranch once, except it was a scorpion. He let me get my leg all the way in the pants and hit me in the thigh a few times. OUCH!
                      Last edited by Codie; 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM.

Comment

yikes happened to me before got pretty nasty glad ur ok

Comment

Warning

Careful getting out too early - common side effect is that you feel better for a couple of hours and then your johnson falls off

Comment

Roflmao!

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishRedneck View Post
                              Careful getting out too early - common side effect is that you feel better for a couple of hours and then your johnson falls off
                              Here is another example of all the mis-information on the internet. It won't fall off. It's just that the open sores take so long to heal that you wish it would just fall off Glad to hear you are ok. Up in our parts the brown recluse is bad about getting in your clothes at night.

Comment

Working...
                              X