Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
    Does anyone know if we are supposed to fill out a survey or anything after the hunt? Want to make sure I’m able to go in the future and don’t want to be prevented by not filling out any forms after the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No sir, no survey needed

Comment

What side did you shoot her on? Reason I’m asking is because this one had a broken right shoulder, could it have been yours?

She had her left side facing me

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
        No sir, no survey needed

Thanks. Enjoy you fajitas, is it your first time having nilgai?

Comment

Thanks a bunch everybody for posting updates, I'm really starting to look forward to my hunt. I have a question for you guys. I also sent the same question to the refuge, I have seen guys wearing orange and also not wearing orange. Is it a personal decision?

I was reading the special regulations sent out from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, it appears to be a general rule sheet for all hunts since it includes reference to rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader hunts. The rule sheet states that

"all participants are required to wear hunter orange according to Texas State Regulations"

The Texas State law states "All persons on public hunting lands (state, national forests, and grasslands) during daylight hours when hunting with firearms is permitted must wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headgear, and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back"

Since my hunt is an archery hunt, and not a firearms hunt does that mean that I am not required to wear orange?

Comment

Originally posted by nickstone View Post
            Thanks a bunch everybody for posting updates, I'm really starting to look forward to my hunt. I have a question for you guys. I also sent the same question to the refuge, I have seen guys wearing orange and also not wearing orange. Is it a personal decision?

I was reading the special regulations sent out from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, it appears to be a general rule sheet for all hunts since it includes reference to rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader hunts. The rule sheet states that

"all participants are required to wear hunter orange according to Texas State Regulations"

The Texas State law states "All persons on public hunting lands (state, national forests, and grasslands) during daylight hours when hunting with firearms is permitted must wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headgear, and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back"

Since my hunt is an archery hunt, and not a firearms hunt does that mean that I am not required to wear orange?

Everyone I saw was wearing orange

Comment

Originally posted by nickstone View Post

You have to wear orange. At least when you are moving to and from you blind/ tripod. Last year I was walking back to my truck without my orange cap but I had the orange vest and the park law enforcemnet officer gave me a warming for not wearing my cap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The regs also say this. Are there going to be any firearms hunts going on during 1/11-14?

"Notice: to archery hunters and recreational users: You must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit. Many units allow firearm hunting year-round for rabbits, and firearm hunts for squirrel and dove often are conducted concurrently with archery deer hunts."

Comment

Some people take it off for their harvest pics

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Some people take it off for their harvest pics

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone on here going on this weekend's hunt?

Comment

I'll be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Not able to take off of work for Thursday. First time hunting there. Are we allowed to park along the roads or do we need to park in the designated parking areas?

Comment

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Originally posted by lagunaduck View Post
                          I'll be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Not able to take off of work for Thursday. First time hunting there. Are we allowed to park along the roads or do we need to park in the designated parking areas?

You can park off the roads as long as you do not disturb the flow of traffic.

You should see tons of game, it was my first time there also and I saw upwards of 20 Deer and like 7 or 8 nilgai while I was there.

Comment

Thanks Jmsck12. Looks like rain on Friday, so I plan on using an old ground blind. Everyplace else I have hunted, I have used a tripod...so this might be interesting. I don't have experience in a ground blind, but would think the animals would spot it easily and be too scared by it. Will try it, though. How are the roads if it rains?

Comment

Originally posted by lagunaduck View Post
                              Thanks Jmsck12. Looks like rain on Friday, so I plan on using an old ground blind. Everyplace else I have hunted, I have used a tripod...so this might be interesting. I don't have experience in a ground blind, but would think the animals would spot it easily and be too scared by it. Will try it, though. How are the roads if it rains?

Roads are not bad when it rains, unless you have a car you’ll be fine. I sat on a folding chair in the rain and wind tucked into the brush and saw lots of animals.

Comment

Roads are not bad when it rains, unless you have a car you’ll be fine. I sat on a folding chair in the rain and wind tucked into the brush and saw lots of animals.

This. Have met different people that hunt popups in the 4 hunts I've been to Teniente over the years. None that I know of have harvested Nilgai. We see the most animals sitting well hidden under thick trees or behind cactus. Find you a thick area with trails. They know when it's hunting season and tend to stay away from open areas. Goodluck

Comment

Working...
                                X