View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #88
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

I don't have a problem with running dogs, even though it doesn't align with my personal hunting ethics. Neither does using bait or hunting over a feeder, so I just choose not to do it. I do appreciate the tradition and realize it brings back lots of good memories, especially as a "once a year" thing.

It does make me a little sick seeing a pickup truck with 12-14 dead deer in the back from a single morning's hunt. Killing almost every deer on a piece of property with regularity isn't sustainable.

What most people don't seem to realize is that you don't have to shoot every deer that is jumped. I understand 100 years ago in Arkansas, they needed to put food on the table however they could.

I don't even expect to see a deer on every single hunt, and I typically pass up half a dozen or more because they aren't what I want to shoot.

Have a dozen guys go run dogs for the fun and tradition of it, and shoot three deer. Let a kid take his first one, let somebody really wanting some meat shoot one, and take one nice buck if given the chance.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top