No announcement yet.

deer camp meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally cook a big breakfast around 10AM then sandwiches and snacks throughout the day.
    Supper is steak,backstrap, fried fish, fajitas, burgers, sausage roll overs, gumbo etc.

Comment

Something called"Arrow Pilot Taco Soup" I found on the TBH recipe forum. It was a hit everytime I made it last year. This year will be the same.

Comment

I usually like to include as many variations of dead animal as possible on my plate at one time. Most of them wrapped in bacon. Maybe a can of jalapeno ranch style beans every now and then.

Comment

My deer lease was pretty basic... and this year it has gotten even more basic. I typically just pack some snacks like pretzels and peanut butter, bananas, oranges, and granola bars. My wife will pack me a rubber made tub full of sandwiches and I'll eat off those for whatever meal. When it is really cold outside, I used to bring a serving sized crockpot soup warmer and some canned soup to heat up before my evening sit so it was nice and hot when I got back.

I guess you could say I like to hunt hard when I go out to the lease, so I don't give the cooking part much thought. Eating is an after thought and if I dropped an animal, I have to clean it, etc and get it on ice and that means eating late and still wanting to get up real early the next day to put in another sit, stalk, whatever. So I'm just a natural grab-n-go eater when it comes to hunting.

The best lease-mate to have is somebody who doesn't really like hunting, but loves to cook!

Comment

2 lbs of baloney, loaf of bread, couple cans of Vienna sausages, some chips and a case of Natty Light.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
              Lots of boudin, gumbo, etouffee, sauce piquante, venison rice and gravy and grilled meats
              This sounds about like ours

Comment

We eat pretty good at our place. This is my Oklahoma lease, we only get everyone there for the rifle opener so we go all out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	24547150

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	24547151

Comment

We usually get up and going in the morning with something easy. Pop tarts, powdered donuts, honey buns etc. Wash it down with some coffee or dr pepper.

Then after the morning hunt we cook a pretty big breakfast. No telling what it will be it just depends on who brings the food for that morning.

During the day we'll snack on stuff like summer sausage, deer jerky and random junk food. Usually aren't to hungry before the evening hunt so we usually just eat sandwiches before going out.

After the evening hunt we will usually grill something. We like hanging out together grilling, drinking a little and just shooting the breeze. Sides are usually something fairly easy (baked potatoes, beans in a crock pot etc.). Sometimes we will fry up some deer meat.

We eat very well at the lease.

Comment

Deer camp is the last place i ever have a problem finding something to cook. Its usually burgers or steaks friday night and saturday nights will be gumbo, smoked pork butt, smothered meat in a rice & gravy, fajitas or fried seafood. A few times a year we may do a hog or deer shoulders in a coon *** microwave. Lunch usually consist of a few beers and sandwiches, frozen pizzas,corn dogs or left overs from friday.

Comment

Jambalaya, Shrimp Diablo, Sauce Piquante, Chili, Mountain Man's Breakfast

Comment

Steaks, burgers, fried fish and deer meat. Recently started using a Can Cooker with sausage and veggies and corn on cob, seafood and potatoes.

Comment

I swear we eat better at camp than at home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I travel for hunting, I like to carry my crock pot with the liners. I pre mix jambalaya, chili, pork shoulder, meatloaf, whatever - go for one dish meals because I'm usually too tired to cook at the end of the day and I really just want to relax.

At home - pretty much the same thing so that visitors can eat whenever they want.

My favorite - breakfast casserole in the crock pot. Cooks at night, reheats easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                              2 lbs of baloney, loaf of bread, couple cans of Vienna sausages, some chips and a case of Natty Light.
                              What about breakfast? Couple fried eggs, over easy? A piece of toast to sop up all that yella?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                                What about breakfast? Couple fried eggs, over easy? A piece of toast to sop up all that yella?

Baloney sammich and a beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X