Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WCB View Post
    I was thinking of a large drone...

My money is on the dog too Mike!! I'll cover a hunert...

Bet not. You would still be disturbing the ground walking on it.

And I always have used the ole "step in cow pies" trick. Witnessed many bucks come right up same trail and didn't seem to spook.

Now THAT would be a large drone

As for the cow pie. I care not to say what I tried to get close to a herd of elk once

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
      Do you think the rainy weather all week at our place will mitigate the ground disturbance aspect?
      It will probably let them smell it better. Anybody who has ever bird hunted behind dogs will tell you that cold air, with low humidity is tough on a dog's smeller. High humidity makes them smell better. That's why an elk or a deer will run their tongues into each nostril when trying to smell something they've only seen or heard. Animals might deny eyes or ears, but they won't deny their nose.

Comment

Awesome info. Thanks

Comment

Scent elimination sprays tested against a drug sniffing dog. Dog won every time, and says that a deer has 100 million more nose receptors than a dog. Don't think I'm buying anymore scent elimination sprays.

For more and more of us, spraying down has become part of the deer hunting ritual. We slip on our camo and immediately mist it in a no-scent fog. We slide into rubber boots and shower the soles before taking a step. We hang a bow, a pack, or a trail cam and—you got it—douse it with deodorizing spray. The question is, does all this spritzing actually help you beat a buck’s nose?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
            Do you think the rainy weather all week at our place will mitigate the ground disturbance aspect?
            No, it will enhance it. Cool, moist conditions preserve odor longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick_ET
              Very interesting read for sure. What I would like to know is how much human scent gets down to ground level, and at what range, if say you are 25 feet in a tree? With a light breeze blowing (less than 10) if a deer comes in downwind of me within 25-30 yards, is my scent even making it down that low at that close of range?
              Alot of environmental things come in to play in this scenario. In the evening as it cools off cool air forces odor down faster. Also, if you have a thick dense tree downwind that forces the air to swirl, which can force it up and down.

Easiest way to picture these movements is throw a handful of flower in a slow moving creek. It spreads in a cone as it goes downstream. Now in a fast moving creek, same, but in a denser and narrower one. Now in a creek with rocks or a log downstream. Obstruction causes swirls. Now try to picture that in 3 dimensions instead of 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick_ET
                Very interesting read for sure. What I would like to know is how much human scent gets down to ground level, and at what range, if say you are 25 feet in a tree? With a light breeze blowing (less than 10) if a deer comes in downwind of me within 25-30 yards, is my scent even making it down that low at that close of range?

I usually use my puff bottle to attempt to find this out. I’m sure the powder is a lot heavier than human scent in the wind, but I can tell you one thing, when I send some powder into the wind at 25’ up, I can watch it floating in the wind a pretty good ways and it stays up pretty high.

Skinny

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    When you have an extra right foot you leave extra stink.
                    The is too funny! How does he wear shoes?? never-mind, the picture explains that!

Comment

I've been happy with dead down wind. It doesn't work 100% but I know it works. I keep a bottle in my work truck to spray down after decomp scenes.

If I didn't have 2 gallons of try this theif stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                        I'm no scientist or expert, but this is info I've gleaned over the past 10 years through reading and experience as a K9 Handler with tracking dogs that are also trained in other odor discrimination specialties, so take it for what it's worth.

Picture this. You are standing in the middle of your yard with no wind. Your body temperature is +/- 98.7 degrees and it's 60 degrees outside. Heat is emanating from your body, so it rises. Your body is shedding thousands of microscopic skin cells per minute. Those skin cells also rise until the temperature stabilizes, then begin to fall. That is the human odor dogs (and deer and pigs) can detect. Add a little wind and the odor drifts before it settles. The odor dissipates with time, and is spread further with wind, reducing how strong the odor is.

Now think about this. You know what it smells like when you walk outside right after your lawn has been mowed? If I walk across your yard your dog smells that same odor. It's called ground disturbance. When you walk across the ground you are crushing and damaging vegetation and moving dirt that allows odors beneath the surface to escape.

Now, imagine walking across a concrete parking lot. The only odor a dog can detect is the human odor, there is no ground disturbance.

From my reading and experience what I have found is that when a person walks across a field, the odor a dog can detect is 95% ground disturbance, 5% human odor. Human odor is much more difficult for a dog to consistently track. This can easily be shown with K9 tracking as many dogs that are outstanding trackers on vegetation are completely lost on concrete and cannot track.

How does this relate to hunting? Glad you asked. :-)

If you put on an astronauts suit with self contained breathing apparatus and walked to your blind, my dog could easily track you for several hours due to ground disturbance odor. When you walk to your blind there will ALWAYS be odor that can disturb the wildlife. Whether or not it does will greatly depend on their experience with odor. Does wearing rubber boots help reduce human odor? I think so, but it does not effect ground disturbance odor.

I think the key is knowing a little about odor and how it is spread. You can reduce your odor with clothing, scent free soap, etc, but short of a rubber suit with self contained breathing apparatus, you cannot eliminate it. Reduce what you can, and always hunt the wind.
                        Finally someone admitting that a human cannot be scent free....that is a sales pitch.

Good info. You didn't however say anything about breath odor, odor emanating from arm pits, crotches, etc. Not to mention every orifice that a human has including your ear canal, yes you ear canal, ear wax STINKS! It is an impossibility to completely eliminate odor. Control it? Yes, that is a possibility.

Enjoyed the read by the way

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Finally someone admitting that a human cannot be scent free....that is a sales pitch.

Good info. You didn't however say anything about breath odor, odor emanating from arm pits, crotches, etc. Not to mention every orifice that a human has including your ear canal, yes you ear canal, ear wax STINKS! It is an impossibility to completely eliminate odor. Control it? Yes, that is a possibility.

Enjoyed the read by the way

For sure! And all of your crap in the blind with you that holds different human odors. Backpack. Bow. That stinky release strap. Your phone!!!! It all reeks of human scent.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            I've been happy with dead down wind. It doesn't work 100% but I know it works. I keep a bottle in my work truck to spray down after decomp scenes.

If I didn't have 2 gallons of try this theif stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            From all my experiences ddw is hands down the worst I've used. It has a smell I can detect.
                            99/100 animals I've watched cross my path, with dozens of products alerted "something ". Some still crossed some didn't. Stand entryiswhere most fail and never even know it
                            Cool read

Comment

Interesting read guys, BUT I would not bet against the dog.

Comment

Thanks for the very informative post flyby!! I have a couple of questions:

1) do you suppose blood tracking dogs pick up not only on the blood odor but also the particular scent that bleeding deer is laying down?? I ask because abviously some deer stop bleeding yet the blood tracking dogs continue on the trail... At some point you would think other deer have crossed the injured deer's trail yet the dog remains on the wounded deer's trail..

2) in your opinion, how much does a handler influence an Leo K-9 tracking dog?? I work with BP and the majority of our work is tracking groups. We are in serious need of tracking k-9 teams. Most of our k-9s just don't seem to stay on trails or show interest for that matter...

Comment

Working...
                                X