Wife's New Business: advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's New Business: advice needed

Hey Guys, this is my first time posting on this thread, but I am helping my wife get going with her photography business. I know that this is a hobby thread and she does very typical shoots: school photos, engagement and wedding pictures. But I wanted some advice on how to best encourage her. She has gotten very good feedback from her shoots--she has done over a dozen, but they have all been with people we know.

So it is the standard "they are just blowing smoke because they know us". Any advice? I know we need to start with clients outside of our immediate known group, but anything else to help with confidence and getting her some feedback?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post her pics on here and there will be honest positive and negative feedback.

Comment

^ This...

Comment

Let's see some pics

Comment

Hi there, you should post some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
            Post her pics on here and there will be honest positive and negative feedback.

More negative

Comment

Have her get with a few local high school boys or girls who think they might want to model. Gotta start a portfolio somehow. A few hours on the weekend. You'll probably have to start with doing them for free to get a portfolio started, but once word gets out, then you start charging. I've seen several local photographers use this and have built a pretty good clientele.

Comment

I'm in the real estate business and there is a high demand for photographers who can take high-quality and aesthetically pleasing photos of a home for marketing materials. Perhaps that could be another market that she can look into? (Related advice- plenty of opportunities out there if you want to get creative)

Comment

SmugMug has some pretty nice business tools and options. She might want to check into it. https://www.smugmug.com/plans/business

I haven't gotten very deeply into it, but it allows you to set your markups so that your clients can order directly from SmugMug, but you get 85% of whatever amount you've decided to markup SmugMug's normal print costs. They send you a check and I believe they send you a 1099 at the end of the year for taxes. For some states, I think they even handle sales tax, but not for Texas if I remember correctly. Anyway, it could be a handy way to run a small photography business without as many of the business headaches.

I have mine set up and you can see it here... https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/

But I haven't actually sold anything with it yet.

Comment

I looked at yours today David and it looks nice. Reminded me that I need to get back on mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X