Horn corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn corn

Anybody use it? Will it work in a spin feeder or better used in trough or gravity type feeder? Any links to it?

What is it?

Comment

I've used Horn Corn, it worked in my spin cast feeder. I was using it year around, but my feed store stopped getting it, unable to find local dealer. I really liked, and so did the deer!
      To answer "what is it?'...... it is simply corn mixed with roasted soybeans.

Comment

works great out of a feeder. My deer seemed to have loved it also. Have heard that some will not eat the soy beans at first but after a few days, they start cleaning it up.

Comment

yeah, that's the way it was for me, it took a few days-but, once they tried it, there were many times they would eat all the soybeans and leave corn on the ground! Especially in spring/summer.

Comment

we've used it for years with great success.
            We used to get ours at Gorman Bros. in Comanche,
            Then we got it in Goldthwaite, and now the Shoppin Basket in Coleman sells it.
            Good luck we started off with straight corn and then just added a few bags at a time and then nothing but horn korn.

Comment

Sounds great!! I got on a new lease and they are talking about using horn corn instead of protein pellets. I would like to use it in a spin feeder but they have concerns about deer being able to pick the soybeans up off the ground, hence the trough question. They've also mentioned cottonseed but the biologist told them it would make the buck sterile.

Comment

There is a brand called "Mr. Buck" I get sometimes in Kerville at Gibsons Discount Center...also Burnet Feed sells one they call "Deer Ration." They both worked great this year at my lease in Harper TX.

Comment

We used it at BAO for a while. It worked fine in the feeders but nothing would eat it - not even the hogs! Everything picked the corn off the ground and left the soybeans there til they rotted!

It was a waste of money for us.

Trailboss

Comment

We used it in our protein feeders. The deer loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss View Post
                      We used it at BAO for a while. It worked fine in the feeders but nothing would eat it - not even the hogs! Everything picked the corn off the ground and left the soybeans there til they rotted!

It was a waste of money for us.

Trailboss
                      That don't sound good at all. A couple of the guys started putting some out last week so by next month, when I get to pick my spot, maybe they'll know if anything is eating it and I won't have wasted to much money on it.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Comment

I have used it on multiple places through out the last 10 years or so, and have found it to draw like crazy on some grounds and others; the wildlife would not touch it. I have been purchasing mine from TBH member AntlerMax's store in Waco off LaSalle Ave. (Brazos Feed and Supply)

I never have thrown it from a spin feeder, only have fed it through my self/protien style feeders.

Give it a try and post your results for your area.

Thanks
                        Rwc

Comment

I had the same experience as Trailboss. it worked in the feeder fine but the soybeans would only be nibbled on.

Comment

Working...
                          X