2018-2019 Hill Country Hunting Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018-2019 Hill Country Hunting Season

Getting a little jump on this years thread as the bucks are starting to get some inches under their belts. We are in Fredericksburg, TX going out 87 a few miles out of town. How is everyone's deer looking, and how are the pastures holding up from this heat?

Looking good on our lease. Tons of grass. Still green. Lots of rain in next week's forecast.

Too early to tell on antler development, but seeing several bucks with beams out to and past ear tips so far.

Axis are bellowing like crazy. I watched a herd of 50-60 the other evening with a couple 30-32" bucks in it. Bucks were curling lips and chasing does around.

Comment

I’ll follow along this year and hopefully post more. We are located in SE Mason County close to the community of Loyal Valley. We have missed out on most of the rains the last month so the grasses are starting to go dormant as this heat really kicks in. Bucks and does are looking fat and healthy, and bucks are just about to start putting on their g-2’s. Hopefully I’ll make it out to check cameras in the next few weeks, and look forward to seeing how everyone else is doing!

Shane: I hate how your last lease ended up, but am glad that you are not too far away from us. I look forward to your updates and pictures!

Comment

Dry in the northern part of hill country Comanche county in Deleon !! Not running cameras yet.

Comment

I set a 600-lb feeder a couple of weeks ago, but it was incredibly dry at my place. Not nearly as heavy a persimmon crop as we had the year before. Going to check cameras in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't expect this to be a great year.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            I set a 600-lb feeder a couple of weeks ago, but it was incredibly dry at my place. Not nearly as heavy a persimmon crop as we had the year before. Going to check cameras in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't expect this to be a great year.
            Where exactly are you located?

Comment

SW San Saba county here. Got lucky & got an 1 1/2 of rain last week. Helped green up some. Still dry dry. Deer going through about 1500 lbs of protein ,plus corn every 2-3 weeks. Some of the bucks are getting some length to the horns. Praying the little disturbance they talk about on news comes in & gives us some more rains. Momma's are dropping fawns now & any help would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                Where exactly are you located?
                Right on the Gillespie/Llano County line near Enchanted Rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                  I’ll follow along this year and hopefully post more. We are located in SE Mason County close to the community of Loyal Valley. We have missed out on most of the rains the last month so the grasses are starting to go dormant as this heat really kicks in. Bucks and does are looking fat and healthy, and bucks are just about to start putting on their g-2’s. Hopefully I’ll make it out to check cameras in the next few weeks, and look forward to seeing how everyone else is doing!

Shane: I hate how your last lease ended up, but am glad that you are not too far away from us. I look forward to your updates and pictures!
                  Thanks. I hated to leave the axis hunting on the previous place, but it worked out great in the end for us finding this new place. Landowner is a great guy. We have good numbers of axis and a few other exotics occasionally, pigs, river....and a lot closer to civilization when we need to run to town. We're gonna enjoy it.

Comment

We went to ours this past weekend and the tanks are dry but its green...they are eating our protein...we are about an hour north of you...

Sorry about the pictures but that's a 19.99 camera
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am NW of Fberg. Been seeing more pigs and turkeys than ever before. And snakes.

Comment

8 miles west of Fredericksburg off 290.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-26-00h58m19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24542627
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-25-08h06m05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	24542628

a few weeks ago in rocksprings.

Comment

Last year was our first year on this Fredericksburg place so we didn't do much except set a few places to hunt. We didn't know if we would be getting a long term contract. Well, we finally were about to get a deal inked with the landowner that everyone liked. We wen't from 4 people on lease, down to 3 as well, which will be nice. So now we have been setting feeders and blinds. We have big plans for camp with a covered outdoor bar/cooking area. Should be some fun times at camp with our 3 families and some decent deer killed by the kids and us dads. Can't wait!

Comment

Going to head out on Saturday to do a little work and try to catch a hog slipping up. Hopefully have some pictures to share.

Comment

Working...
                              X