No announcement yet.

GOP Tax Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the first salvo! There will be multiple changes before this thing is finalized. As some noted above I am sure it will be super crappy by the time it comes to a head/vote!

Comment

Just out if curiousity, does anyone have any data on company hiring rates when their tax rates are lowered? I just dont see it being logical for any company to go on a hiring binge just because they receive a tax cut, especially if they dont need more people. I know my company sure wouldnt, because we dont have enough work to warrant more people (oil industry). Hell, they'd probably keep laying us off.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
        Just out if curiousity, does anyone have any data on company hiring rates when their tax rates are lowered? I just dont see it being logical for any company to go on a hiring binge just because they receive a tax cut, especially if they dont need more people. I know my company sure wouldnt, because we dont have enough work to warrant more people (oil industry). Hell, they'd probably keep laying us off.
        For wages to show any real increase, corporate taxes must be lowered AND the labor supply must be held constant. Until we get a border wall built and the flow of cheap labor from Mexico slowed substantially, corporations will feel no pressure to increase wages.

Trump is betting the tax relief will bring back more jobs that were offshored in prior years than will be automated out of existence by robots funded by tax cuts on companies. It's both supply and demand pressure keeping wages low while corporate profits are high.

Comment

Corporations are going to need more money when the Federal government doubles the minimum wage.....

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
            For wages to show any real increase, corporate taxes must be lowered AND the labor supply must be held constant. Until we get a border wall built and the flow of cheap labor from Mexico slowed substantially, corporations will feel no pressure to increase wages.

Trump is betting the tax relief will bring back more jobs that were offshored in prior years than will be automated out of existence by robots funded by tax cuts on companies. It's both supply and demand pressure keeping wages low while corporate profits are high.
            Valid for jobs where cheap foreign labor is competitive, but what about those that don't have much cheap foreign labor competition and are at the point where further hires would give significant diminishing returns, regardless if they had a tax break? They wouldnt be hiring, and any tax break for said companies would be a significant net loss in tax revenue as no new hires would be added to the tax base.

My driving point is that I dont see how an across the board corporate tax reduction incentivizes increased wages or hiring, in fact, it incentivizes nothing. Rather it is made in the hope that those things will follow.

I think it would be better if the tax code were modified to specifically incentivize increasing wages or hiring: say for example, doubling the tax writeoff for new employees for X number of years after hiring, or doubling the tax writeoff on raises. This would incentivizing hiring or wage increases, without giving a blank check to those companies that dont need new hires or intend to give raises.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

If corporate tax rates are reduced, that will make it easier for companies who have operations overseas to move more operations (and jobs) to the US. By making the tax penalty of doing business here less severe, more of those operations and jobs will be moved here. It won't happen overnight, obviously. But it will happen if the cost of doing business here isn't prohibitive, compared to the cost of doing business somewhere else.

Comment

I own a company, but we only have 5 employees. The lower tax rate would certainly be nice for my company, but I won't hire employees because of it. I hire employees based solely on my work load and how many will be needed. Salaries are based on job duties, experience, regional pay range, and work loads, not on how much federal or state taxes I pay.

I'm not sure how realistic these projections are for increased tax revenue due to trickle down economics. It looks to me like this tax plan would raise our national debt significantly. I thought the R party was more about reducing national debt, which I'm all for.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
                  I own a company, but we only have 5 employees. The lower tax rate would certainly be nice for my company, but I won't hire employees because of it. I hire employees based solely on my work load and how many will be needed. Salaries are based on job duties, experience, regional pay range, and work loads, not on how much federal or state taxes I pay.

I'm not sure how realistic these projections are for increased tax revenue due to trickle down economics. It looks to me like this tax plan would raise our national debt significantly. I thought the R party was more about reducing national debt, which I'm all for.

The national debt should be paid down by reducing out of control spending not by continually raising the tax burden. If we don't control spending no amount of taxes are ever gonna get us out of debt. Hopefully we can tackle the spending problems too and stop spending more than we got coming in.

Comment

What happened to the flat tax?
                    How much did you earn?
                    Multiply by 5%
                    Send it in.

If you make $10k or $10 million per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                      The national debt should be paid down by reducing out of control spending not by continually raising the tax burden. If we don't control spending no amount of taxes are ever gonna get us out of debt. Hopefully we can tackle the spending problems too and stop spending more than we got coming in.
                      And this GOP administration is raising the budget once again.
                      Increased spending

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post

Hey, hey, hey, ............u not supposed to see the wizard behind the curtain!!!
                        Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                        How much did you earn?
                        Multiply by 5%
                        Send it in.

U are mudding the water with that hogwash.........LOL!!! That WAS NEVER EVER on the table and it was just part of OUR imaginations.
                        Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                        And this GOP administration is raising the budget once again.
                        Increased spending
                        Hey u dang radical.......nobody is supposed to let the serf's to know we are doing what we have been doing for, humm, well, 35 years!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          By making the tax penalty of doing business here less severe, more of those operations and jobs will be moved here. It won't happen overnight, obviously.
                          Some might, but for the most part, how do we compete with the cheap labor, property prices/taxes, and lack of government oversight of third world countries? Lower taxes doesn't even come close to evening the scales.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                            Some might, but for the most part, how do we compete with the cheap labor, property prices/taxes, and lack of government oversight of third world countries? Lower taxes doesn't even come close to evening the scales.
                            Smart man.

Not to mention the EPA regulations we have in this country.

You ever tried getting a 1960s bumper chrome plated?
                            How about trying to start a battery manufacturing plant?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              How much did you earn?
                              Multiply by 5%
                              Send it in.

But how would those who earn zero get 5 or 6k back?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                But how would those who earn zero get 5 or 6k back?

Comment

Working...
                                X