Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    ^^^Not sure when but I will try to get out there and pick them up for you... I will let you know...^^^
    Only if you're out there anyway, don't go out of your way. They're not expensive cameras but I really want to see if there's any pics on them lol.

Comment

Hey everyone! New to hunting Amistad. Looking to go hunt exotics in February with my uncle. We are from DFW area and have never been down there, any info and help would be greatly appreciated! Not looking for the honey holes, just looking for some guidance and somewhere to start. Looking at going a Wednesday-Saturday. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm from Alaska and live in Alaska and I want to thank you guys for this forum. For a few years I've researched and read these forums and studied the lake Amistad areas. My wife and I were able to harvest 2 mouflon rams in 3 days last year and had a great hunt. I specifically thank a guy named Dahmer on here that doesn't mind giving out a lot of information. I will say the terrain is not tough like most say it is but most haven't hunted in Alaska where you get dropped off by a plane and then it's survival for the next 10-12 days. My first sheep I logged over 100 miles on GPS that hunt. 5000 ft climbs in a day, busting through alders for days at a time, camping on glaciers in blizzards and carrying a 120 pound pack for 30 miles. Texas was lake a vacation for us. First day we walked around the entire hunting area scouting and were back at the pool by noon drinking a margarita. Anyway we are coming back because we had such a great time. I really want to get into area 4 this year to check it out. We are bringing pack rafts and plan on paddling across the lake from spur 454. Has anyone done this? We would love to get together with someone that has a boat or we are willing to rent one if anyone can help? Sorry if It seems like I was being arrogant about the terrain in Amistad, didn't mean to come off that way but the posts on how hard it was to hunt and how there aren't many animals discouraged me for a few years until I said screw it and went. Atleast I thought we would see new country and warmer temps. I didn't think the hunting would be as good as it was. If anyone has a boat and wants to hunt a few days I have a couple boats in Alaska and know the hunting and fishing real good and could make a deal to someone who has always wanted to come to Alaska and catch some salmon or do a hunt. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskahunter View Post
          Hi everyone, I'm from Alaska and live in Alaska and I want to thank you guys for this forum. For a few years I've researched and read these forums and studied the lake Amistad areas. My wife and I were able to harvest 2 mouflon rams in 3 days last year and had a great hunt. I specifically thank a guy named Dahmer on here that doesn't mind giving out a lot of information. I will say the terrain is not tough like most say it is but most haven't hunted in Alaska where you get dropped off by a plane and then it's survival for the next 10-12 days. My first sheep I logged over 100 miles on GPS that hunt. 5000 ft climbs in a day, busting through alders for days at a time, camping on glaciers in blizzards and carrying a 120 pound pack for 30 miles. Texas was lake a vacation for us. First day we walked around the entire hunting area scouting and were back at the pool by noon drinking a margarita. Anyway we are coming back because we had such a great time. I really want to get into area 4 this year to check it out. We are bringing pack rafts and plan on paddling across the lake from spur 454. Has anyone done this? We would love to get together with someone that has a boat or we are willing to rent one if anyone can help? Sorry if It seems like I was being arrogant about the terrain in Amistad, didn't mean to come off that way but the posts on how hard it was to hunt and how there aren't many animals discouraged me for a few years until I said screw it and went. Atleast I thought we would see new country and warmer temps. I didn't think the hunting would be as good as it was. If anyone has a boat and wants to hunt a few days I have a couple boats in Alaska and know the hunting and fishing real good and could make a deal to someone who has always wanted to come to Alaska and catch some salmon or do a hunt. Thank you!
          Yes I have a friend who takes his Kayak out to Area 4 and 5 and I've seen him paddling back with Mouflon and Whitetail draped over the hull. Don't overlook Spur 406 and accessing Area 2 as well, no exotics but plenty of Whitetail. I have a boat and hit 2 several times this year but mostly Area 4. PM me when you come down and you're welcome to come along. I always offer up boat rides and hunts as I often hunt full weeks alone but nobody ever takes me up on the offer. I offer that up to everyone, but Alaska has always been a dream of mine to get up there and do *anything* but just don't really know where to start so a lead or something on that would be very welcome.
          I met Dahmer at a bow shop here in town many years ago, total stranger at the time and he gave me some arrows to use with my Guillotine broadheads. Nice guy.
          Last edited by justletmein; 01-25-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the successful hunt!! When are you planning on hunting area 4? I have kicked around the idea of peddling a kayak and setting up camp over there... I will probably not attempt it until next year.

The majotiry of the time we have it blowing out of the southeast. Coming back towards 454 could get hairy when it's blowing over 15 MPH... It might be easier to shoot across to black brush ramp. Something to consider would be launching from 277. It would mean a longer distance to travel on the way out but the wind would be at your back.

PM Coming your way.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Yes I have a friend who takes his Kayak out to Area 4 and 5 and I've seen him paddling back with Mouflon and Whitetail draped over the hull. Don't overlook Spur 406 and accessing Area 2 as well, no exotics but plenty of Whitetail. I have a boat and hit 2 several times this year but mostly Area 4. PM me when you come down and you're welcome to come along. I always offer up boat rides and hunts as I often hunt full weeks alone but nobody ever takes me up on the offer. I offer that up to everyone, but Alaska has always been a dream of mine to get up there and do *anything* but just don't really know where to start so a lead or something on that would be very welcome.
              I met Dahmer at a bow shop here in town many years ago, total stranger at the time and he gave me some arrows to use with my Guillotine broadheads. Nice guy.
              Thanks so much for the reply! I'm new to this but I will send you a PM if I can figure it out. I'm the same way. I work a two week on two week off schedule and fish ever day in the summer when I'm not hunting and it's often by myself because my friends are working. My wife goes with me a lot. I live near Talkeetna Alaska and have a jet boat. I jet up the rivers and normally find places just packed with salmon and no one else fishing. I also have a small cabin and drift boat in Sterling 300 yards from the Kenai river. The kenai is easily accessible and is guided heavy but it doesn't matter when they get over a million sockeye each year, mostly all in the month of July and then the silvers and before the sockeye thousands of kings. It's common to catch 100 rainbows in a day in the fall and a good number of them are 25" plus. It all depends what you want to catch or do here.

Comment

I tried to send you guys a PM, I guess I need 15 posts before it will allow me to PM.

Comment

Congrats on the successful hunt!! When are you planning on hunting area 4? I have kicked around the idea of peddling a kayak and setting up camp over there... I will probably not attempt it until next year.

The majotiry of the time we have it blowing out of the southeast. Coming back towards 454 could get hairy when it's blowing over 15 MPH... It might be easier to shoot across to black brush ramp. Something to consider would be launching from 277. It would mean a longer distance to travel on the way out but the wind would be at your back.

PM Coming your way.
                  Oh yes, 277N would be WAY better getting to #4 with a kayak. For some reason I read Spur 454 as being 277N in my mind.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm new to this but I will send you a PM if I can figure it out. I'm the same way. I work a two week on two week off schedule and fish ever day in the summer when I'm not hunting and it's often by myself because my friends are working. My wife goes with me a lot. I live near Talkeetna Alaska and have a jet boat. I jet up the rivers and normally find places just packed with salmon and no one else fishing. I also have a small cabin and drift boat in Sterling 300 yards from the Kenai river. The kenai is easily accessible and is guided heavy but it doesn't matter when they get over a million sockeye each year, mostly all in the month of July and then the silvers and before the sockeye thousands of kings. It's common to catch 100 rainbows in a day in the fall and a good number of them are 25" plus. It all depends what you want to catch or do here.
                    Nice!

I'd be willing to just go haul somebody's gear while they hunt/fish just so I could get the experience of being there. Once I kinda "get my foot in the door" then I'll know more of what I want. I'm more of a DIY guy and not super interested in guides and such so breaking into Alaska is kind of a daunting task without some sort of lead into it.

Comment

I tried to send you guys a PM, I guess I need 15 posts before it will allow me to PM.
                      Head over to the photo forum and rack up some "nice!" "gorgeous" "great pic" type replies, you'll be well over 15 posts in no time.

Comment

OK thanks, Google Earth shows it being around a mile longer from 277 but the wind would definitely be a problem in a pack raft.

Comment

OK thanks, Google Earth shows it being around a mile longer from 277 but the wind would definitely be a problem in a pack raft.
                          Not having to go across that section of the lake can be useful depending on conditions. I've had days I was a little nervous crossing there in my flats boat. 277N is really close to Area 5 where you hunted previously for the Mouflon. If you were to paddle over there you can sometimes spot them from the water and sneak in quietly. Also other hunters can push them back into you when they walk in from the front.

Comment

If you decide to go and need help getting shuttled around the lake to launch and or recover give me a holler...

Comment

I have kicked around the idea of peddling a kayak and setting up camp over there... I will probably not attempt it until next year.
                              I've always wanted to setup a "back country" camp on the lake for a whole trip. We could run the boat and ferry the kayak(s) behind and make a base camp. That way everyone still has their independence but doesn't have to make the long paddle to get there and back.

Comment

That would be awesome! I brought all the stuff to camp last year but didn't end up using it. I will bring it again in case you are around. I did purify water out of the lake several days and didn't get sick so that is a good thing. I read you must carry all human waste out with you. I thought that was weird. I also read you have to camp 1/4 mile from the hunt area but that isn't a big deal

Comment

Working...
                                X