High shoulder shot - rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mac View Post
    Yup! I've seen tiny calibers knock em down with the high shoulder shot.
    That was going to be my question, is this a good shot for .223 in 55gr soft nose?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      That's my go to shot. Kills are usually DRT and dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Why not aim for heart/lungs?

Comment

The only shot I take.

Comment

I have never taken it myself but I have had clients do it and my boss swears by it. The first time I saw it the deer reacted like a leg shot and I was getting ready to track. Drive to where the deer was shot and he made it about 3 yards

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

I can only answer for me...

Because they don't run through cactus/mesquites that I have to drag them back through.

Comment

If I was meat hunting back when I used to shoot rifles a lot, I put it right under the ear if their head was broadside... If lookin' at me, right in the white throat patch... Ain't no way I'd shoot one in the meat if I was meat hunting... If it was a trophy, I'd drop down a joint or 2 in the neck... If you hit where you aim, apply the archery philosophy, "aim small, hit small"... Someone who knows their rifle and shoots it regularly and accurately, there's no reason not to take out the central nervous system with your shot... this is NOT a shot for the guy who goes to the range or puts up a corn sack and shoots 3 shots a year...

Comment

This is my go to shot placement. Was taught to center it in the shoulders when I was a kid, then figured out I could just drop them in their tracks if I aimed a little above center shoulder. The front of the lungs always look like jello with this shot too

Comment

I did it with a B&C buck....I was taking no chances....he went three feet...straight down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    That's my go to shot. Kills are usually DRT and dramatic.

Comment

That was going to be my question, is this a good shot for .223 in 55gr soft nose?
                      I have done it with that set up and it works but the bullet will come apart. Switch to a Barness TSX and it works great. That small fast bullet will penetrate it no problem and the all copper bullet it tougher than the lead nose.

223 exits aren't known for their blood trails so if you can break a shoulder or two it's hepful

Comment

I have use the high shoulder or point of the shoulder shot for over 25 yrs now on 100's of animals. It is the only shot to use in thick or rough country when hunting by yourself so the animal does not take a step into the brush. When culling I prefer the quartering to me shot in the crease of the neck/shoulder area. The deer hits the ground and does not move. I have used a .223 a lot on high shoulder shots and killed a lot more with larger calibers.

Comment

I wanna try this, this year

Comment

Yup. 55 grain v-max

Comment

Yep! Point of shoulder and the butt hits the ground instantly. Severs the spine and everything to the rear is paralyzed. Also blows up the main arteries.

Comment

When you take into consideration the Hydrostatic shock that the bullet creates when it enters the cavity there is normally significant damage to the lungs as well. If you shoot a deer in the traditional "behind the shoulder" location the projectile and the hydrostatic shock do damage to the heart and lungs, but generally not a lot of damage to the skeletal system. This allows the deer to possibly run. The high shoulder shot disables the skeletal system by physically breaking the front shoulders. The hydrostatic shock then causes damage to the Aorta and also normally causes significant damage to the lungs. Therefore, you actually have just as ethical of shot in regards to targeting vitals, but have physically taken the legs out of the deer at the same time. Its my go to shot on most whitetails (depending on distance).

Comment

Working...
                                X