AC in the attic is draining.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I don't doubt that but mine does not use the pan until the secondary is clogged. I need to look but my primary is not plumbed through the pan

All this made me go crawl up in the attic and look and I was wrong. My old house was set up as I described which must of been a make shift fix for a faulty condenser drain pan. My new house is as you described, main drain connects to condenser, overflow drain connects to pan and pan stays dry unless there is a problem.

Comment

I've just put my shop vac on the drain and sucked out the clog before.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
        Look at all your sink, there will be a drain line coming into one of them. Get a bucket, pull that hose, clean it out, and look at all he **** that comes out of there. Then reconnect and you will be good.
        That's what happens to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
          I've just put my shop vac on the drain and sucked out the clog before.
          This seems to work better than the air hose. I think I had the main line plugged of and the secondary line part way plugged.

Comment

The thing about using the double washing machine drain is no bathroom drain hair. Jason Smart, Todd probably knows if this is a code change that has been around for awhile.

Comment

Came home last Wednesday night to find my secondary dripping. Ran my air hose up into the attic and blew it out. My primary has a "stovepipe" coming off of it above the pee trap and the connection to the condenser. I found a piece of rubber hose just small enough to slip down into the drain line stovepipe down to the bend. This allows the air to go fully into the line. It usually blows out some gunk into the sink and that's how I know it cleared out. Once that happens, no more dripping from the secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                The thing about using the double washing machine drain is no bathroom drain hair. .

Mine uses the washing machine drain as well.

Comment

Mine uses the washing machine drain as well.
                  Mine drains into a bathroom sink half way across the house. Laundry room right below the unit in the attic. Is this code that they take to bathroom?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    All this made me go crawl up in the attic and look and I was wrong. My old house was set up as I described which must of been a make shift fix for a faulty condenser drain pan. My new house is as you described, main drain connects to condenser, overflow drain connects to pan and pan stays dry unless there is a problem.
                    Good to hear I wasn't losing my memory and no trip up into the attic....

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    Mine drains into a bathroom sink half way across the house. Laundry room right below the unit in the attic. Is this code that they take to bathroom?
                    I built this house in 1999 so I have no idea on current code... Seems like the washer would have been easier for sure.

Comment

Mines got a float switch that shuts it down when the drain gets clogged up. Blow it out with a air hose and pour Clorox down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Can we pour a little draino down it?
                        Blow it out and clean the pan.

Comment

Good to hear I wasn't losing my memory and no trip up into the attic....

I built this house in 1999 so I have no idea on current code... Seems like the washer would have been easier for sure.
                          Ours drains into the bathtub. Pretty standard I believe. As you stated, no idea on current code

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                            i've just put my shop vac on the drain and sucked out the clog before.

Comment

The float switch is in the code now. When i blow one out i install a rubber splice with hose clamps so it is easy to do again.

Do not put drano in it. You dont want drano draining on your porch or in any part of your house. It will alo corrode your pan if it is metal.

If it goes to the bathroom sink, put a towel in the sink to keep nasty stuff from blowing all over the bathroom. Had to clean up a couple.

Some of the secondary drain connections on coils will pick up water due to turbulence in the pan. I always add a pan underneath the coil even if the secondary is connected to the coil. Also add a float to the secondary pan in case insulation clogs it. Much cheaper than ceiling replacement.

Comment

I have a sensor in my drip pan that sends to my house alarm. It will tell me if the pan is filling with water.

Comment

Working...
                                X