Vertigo the Spin Demon who has had it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
    I have it if I lay on my back or look up and attempt to focus on anything. Like working under a car. Tried to change a starter on my wife's car, threw up 3 times to get it out. Called a buddy to help get it back in. Had head ct's as part of cancer follow up , didn't find anything. Seems like it got worse when I started cholesterol meds. Don't take them anymore, but vertigo still there. Mom had it sometimes also.
    Same with me - ever since that severe episode I have positional vertigo. Laying on my back and looking up is the worst. I recently lay under the sink trying to hook up a new faucet set. It took forever - I could only work for a few minutes at a time without having to crawl out and get upright for a while. I can’t even do flip turns in the pool anymore. A carnival ride would probably kill me

Comment

Good info guys. Thanks for responding. I just woke up. Thank goodness for for Valium and zofran!! It’s amazing how many experience this.

Comment

I have it if I lay on my back or look up and attempt to focus on anything. Like working under a car. Tried to change a starter on my wife's car, threw up 3 times to get it out. Called a buddy to help get it back in. Had head ct's as part of cancer follow up , didn't find anything. Seems like it got worse when I started cholesterol meds. Don't take them anymore, but vertigo still there. Mom had it sometimes also.
        That’s usually what I do too. Find something to focus on and stare at it for a while

Comment

That's how it got me! Laying under my Suburban doing a trans service. I thought at first I had just fooled my senses from the angles or not being able to find the horizon so to say. I rolled out of there and didn't think I was going to make it inside. Knocked me down for the rest of the day. Took about three days to finish that job. A buddy told me about a trick doc told him. First thing in the morning sit up in bed with your feet on the ground and rotate your head from one side to the other. Like syncing your compass on a phone. It helped me.

Comment

We do it at the house. It causes her mild dizziness during. It’s been a few years sense she’s had full on attack. ENT was the one whom recommended she do them at the house. The same Mech. Drug is what she takes. That stuff leave her doped up bad.

Comment

I have always been susceptible to motion sickness. As a child I couldn't go 50 miles without pulling over and throwing up. I do ok as an adult if I ride in the front seat, and driving. I do fine on lakes, but get seasick offshore, really messes me up, as I love to fish. A couple of years ago at Ft. Lauderdale, got sick within sight of the shoreline. As I would get nauseated, I could focus on the shore and get straight, but had to go inside to the restroom, and couldn't recover. Several years ago we did a weeklong cruise, was half nauseated the whole trip, fine by me, just an expensive boat ride anyway.

Comment

All of these episodes sound so familiar, bouncing off the wall like I was drunk, going to the ER to be told that I wasn't going to die after all. I keep an emergency supply of an over the counter drug called, "AntiVert" which is the generic for Meclizine, handy whenever I'm going to be away from home for an extended period. The drug isn't going to cure Vertigo, but it can ease the symptoms. I can always feel it when an episode is coming on, so I try not to do anything that would make things worse.

Comment

I deal with it as well. I really have to be careful when I'm on a ladder and looking up. When it hits, I just grab the ladder and hold on. If you look at some ones eyes during an attack, their eye move real fast side to side.
                  I went to the ENT center in The Woodlands and the Dr. did the "rolling of the head thing" and that fixed most of it. I didn't like all the side effects of the drugs. I have them but don't take them.

Comment

I have always been susceptible to motion sickness. As a child I couldn't go 50 miles without pulling over and throwing up. I do ok as an adult if I ride in the front seat, and driving. I do fine on lakes, but get seasick offshore, really messes me up, as I love to fish. A couple of years ago at Ft. Lauderdale, got sick within sight of the shoreline. As I would get nauseated, I could focus on the shore and get straight, but had to go inside to the restroom, and couldn't recover. Several years ago we did a weeklong cruise, was half nauseated the whole trip, fine by me, just an expensive boat ride anyway.
                    I’m the same. Mom used to carry ziploc bags for me to puke in on car rides. Now I have to drive everywhere and forget going deep sea fishing. Bay and lake rides are ok.

Comment

Wife had it really bad several years ago. Physical therapist has some exercises to realign the crystals in the inner ear. When she feels it coming on she does those exercises and good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        Wife had it really bad several years ago. Physical therapist has some exercises to realign the crystals in the inner ear. When she feels it coming on she does those exercises and good to go.
                        I’m hoping the ENT can do that for me on Tuesday. Crossing my fibers I’m spin free for almost 3 days now.

Comment

Rolling of the head. It's funny how something that simple can prevent or help with an episode best described as a " spin toward death". They are tough to overcome.

Comment

Called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Doesn’t realign the crystals as noted when an epley maneuver is performed in the office, just takes the calcium carbonate crystals that are free floating and flushes them out into the utricle of the labyrinthine system that regulates balance where they desolve. Goggle BPPV. Vertigo is a symptom not an etiology.
                            Last edited by zero-in; 12-31-2017, 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Vestibular disorder here. Much of the same. Therapy for 6 weeks helped. You learn to live with it unfortunately. It's debilitating at times.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                                Vestibular disorder here. Much of the same. Therapy for 6 weeks helped. You learn to live with it unfortunately. It's debilitating at times.
                                This.....

I had the same kind of onset as you did. Came out of nowhere, knocked me on my @ss and never fully went away....... that was 20 years ago. So the good news is your brain will
                                e v e n t u a l l y ...... learn to adapt to your episodes (not near as severe as the onset episode)... I would say I have a little 2 or 3 second dizzy blip everyday. I have taken many kinds of meds to try and help, none really work and no doctor will ever give you a good answer.
                                MRI's, ENT's, Neurologists and lots of money later nothing has changed.
                                Good Luck man. PM me if you want my # and we can talk about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X