Keypad on safe not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keypad on safe not working

Yesterday morning o saw a skunk out back so I ran into the house to open the safe and grab a 22. The electronic keypad would not work. Put in a new battery-same thing. (9volt Battery is hot, I tongue tested it). Key pad is making sounds while pushing buttons, but the last key sound is def weaker.
    Safe is a Cannon from Tractor supply with the SG electronic keypad on it. I will call a locksmith, or probably Cannon tomorrow and see what they suggest. I've had the safe for about 8 years. Anybody have any idea how much this may cost me? FWIW, it was a pretty bad feeling to NOT be able to open it. Glad it wasn't an emergency!

Not sure, but this is why I don't go the electronic route

Comment

Put another battery in before you call a locksmith. Oh yeah, check it with a volt meter

Comment

Call Cqnnon they are very helpful I had a similar issue last week they walked me through it.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
          Put another battery in before you call a locksmith. Oh yeah, check it with a volt meter
          Our safe wouldn't open with a couple batteries, even "new" ones. It was just the battery in the end.

Comment

Make sure the battery is a Duracell 9 Volt alkaline. I kid you not. It matters at times (even if it previously worked with another brand). Can be finicky.

Comment

This has been a debate here on tbh & I wouldn't own a keypad...a gun shop down this way had all there key pads go out during a bad electrical storm.

I'm a hard core S&G dial guy...

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                Make sure the battery is a Duracell 9 Volt alkaline. I kid you not. It matters at times (even if it previously worked with another brand). Can be finicky.
                Funny you should mention that. Reading thru the manual it mentions that, even to the point to NOT use a lithium one. Don't see how it can make a difference, as it can count NHL read voltage. Guess it's worth a shot. I'll go from next a Duracell tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

Called Cannon today and explained issues. They are sending me a new, updated keypad at no charge. Will contact a locksmith when it comes in. Anybody have any idea how expensive it will be to have this replaced?
                  Last edited by Witchgrass; 05-22-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                    Called Cannon today and explained issues. They are sending me a new, updated keypad at no charge. Will contact a locksmith when it comes in. Anybody have any idea how expensive it will be to have this replaced?
                    Sorry Duracell didn't work. I would think Cannon could talk you through the keypad change. Good luck.

Comment

If you can get your safe open, even one more time, you're golden and should be able to switch out your keypads without problems.

If I am reading your messages correctly, Cannon is sending you a brand new replacement keypad. I think you might be able to take off the existing key pad (it should just pop off, and there is a simple electric connector behind it), place the new keypad on the safe and program in the existing combination, and it should work. I'm pretty sure Cannon will send instruction along with the keypad. If not, you should call Cannon's customer service and ask them for instructions prior to you doing any replacement of the keypad.

Best of luck,

Dave

Comment

It could be the your solenoid sticking. Make sure your handle is turned to the locked position and type the code wile banging with your fist right above the keypad. To remove the keypad just beat it upwards from the bottom and it will pop off. Pull the wire out of the hole and you will see a 3-4 wire harness. I'm pretty sure the keypad and the board inside have to be a matched pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are several how-to videos on youtube. If you can get the door open this one may help.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                            If you can get your safe open, even one more time, you're golden and should be able to switch out your keypads without problems.

If I am reading your messages correctly, Cannon is sending you a brand new replacement keypad. I think you might be able to take off the existing key pad (it should just pop off, and there is a simple electric connector behind it), place the new keypad on the safe and program in the existing combination, and it should work. I'm pretty sure Cannon will send instruction along with the keypad. If not, you should call Cannon's customer service and ask them for instructions prior to you doing any replacement of the keypad.

Best of luck,

Dave
                            Yes, they are sending a new unit. I've watched a couple of YouTube videos showing how to replace the keypad, but they all show that the plug from the keypad, needs to be plugged into the solinod from INSIDE the safe. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Hi, One of my friends, work in hospital had a knowledge about the safes. In their hospital, they have the Global Plus safe from the Global Safe Corporation. He told me that if the keypad was locked or not working or battery fails, then there is either emergency openings by electronic override or by the master key.

Comment

Working...
                              X