No announcement yet.

Tundra or Chevy PU and why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't buy a 14-15' chevy. I'm a chevy guy but I purchased a 14 new, many problems. Problems that I found out many 14's have. Burned oil and a/c compressor getting holes in it. Chevy dealerships cherries 1200$ to repair well known defect. They also have a oil consumption test thst is way in their favor. Got rid of my 14. Very dissapointed. Hopefully the 16's and newer are better. I settled on an 05'.

Comment

If reliability is a factor and you're looking at GM vs. Toyota I'm wondering why you're asking the question.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
        I am at a loss If Chrysler/Fiat gets the nod over GM. Unless all of the fleet is driving and not working. Resale and fuel mileage would kill that for most.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Have to agree with that. Seems like I hear that Rams have more problems than they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
          Had a tundra, and went to a 3/4 ton Chevy. My main complaints were parts price and bed size on the tundra. I think Chevy has more comfortable seats, but I miss the crew max cab space.

One other thing to add. If Toyota would have offered the extended cab bed on the crew max, I might still have a Toyota, or would maybe consider one when I’m looking for a new truck. Perhaps they will when they get around to doing a actual redesign of the tundra.

I will be curious to see how my FIL tundra does over the year. He likely will have around 190-200K by the end of 2018. Again, those aren’t easy miles. We do a lot of driving on dirt/caliche roads and around agricultural fields that are anything but smooth.

Comment

Well I just had to fork out $3400 on a transmission in my 2012 GMC Sierra with only 104K miles, so I might be biased, but I'm gonna say Tundra hands down as well. I personally won't ever buy another GM product after this latest fiasco, $50-75k pickups dang sure outta get more than 100K miles.

Comment

I shopped for both and settled on a GMC.

The reasons, fuel mileage was better, the charging plugs don't go dead when you turn the key off, there is actually area underneath the rear seat to store stuff and it is more comfortable overall.

Comment

I just did a quick search for most dependable trucks. GM has 2 and Ford 1. Toyota 0. Nissan even had one.

Light duty F150.
                Heavy Duty Chevy HD
                Large SUV Chevy Tahoe

Comment

I am amazed with all the people saying Tundra. For me it looks too much like a mini pickup to be a real truck.

Comment

Chevy baby.

SUBSCRIBE TO THIS CHANNEL! ►► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCSwr-kjUw1cERtjHTcHmmwCHECK OUT MY CHEVY DURAMAX PARODY HERE!! ►► https://www.youtube.com/wat...

Comment

If you have a Ford and your only real issue is the motor, why not get a 5.0? I've got over 100k miles in the past 3 years between two different trucks, both with the 5.0 and no issues. Mileage isn't horrible and tows well enough for a 1/2 ton truck. But, between the two options given, I'd probably go with the Toyota.

Comment

The main problem I have with the Tundras is they are in desperate need for an update. I'd say the same for the new Tacos and Camerys as well. Toyota hasn't made any significant updates on the Tundras since like 2007. Did they do anything for 2018?

Not saying the Tundras aren't reliable, but Chevy and Ford both have them beat on MPG. Heck, I think Chevy and Ford also have nicer interiors, options, etc.

Personally, I would find a trusted dealer and purchase whatever you are comfortable with. All these vehicles are reliable. I'd also take reliability claims on the internet with a grain of salt considering how many people (regardless of brand) don't even keep a truck 10 years.

Comment

Traded in my titan with 150k on it for a Chevy Tahoe. Titan was rock solid. Now I’ve had my Chevy Had it in the shop all week with oil pressure warnings. NOW they are telling me I have a significant amount of metal shavings in the oil Pan. WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY VEHICLE AGAIN! They can’t even make it 5 years and 100k. Garbage

Comment

Took the Ford in to my mechanic this morning. He hooked up his computer, did not retain the code from last Fridays engine light. Truck would still miss when I accelerated. He sat in the front seat and we went for a short drive, short because when he told me to accelerate from normal speed it did the "shutter," engine light came on. Let off on it and engine light went out and back to the shop. Code states #6 cylinder coil. He's also going to probably replace the plug as well. 72K miles and believe me, I take care of my vehicles. Asked him what his verdict was on the Eco engine? He did not trash it but said he has had several customers with the same issue around the same mileage.

Keep in mind...I've had Fords, Chevys and the one Tundra. My last Chevy had transmission problems at under 120K miles as well. So...reading all the comments, still researching and trying to decide what to do. Of course, whatever brand 4x4 is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                              Another tundra guy here. No questions asked. I got a demo’d 2016 with 6700 miles in late 2016 for 36k. And I’ve been offered that for the truck with almost 45k miles on it now a year and a half later. Reliability is what makes toyota stand out. Mileage sucks but I don’t buy trucks based on gas mileage. It pulls a 24’ el pescador with ease and stays around 11-12 when doing so. It averages about 14mpg with everyday city driving in traffic and such. Never personally owned a GM vehicle and never will. Have driven several chevys for work and each one had more problems than I could remember.
                              Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my '16 averaging 7mpg pulling a 24 Shallowsport which is very similar size and weight? I've tried every possible combination using sport mode 4th gear, 5th gear, with and without tow/haul, etc. This is running the same stretch of Hwy77 to the valley running 70-75mph. I'm sure it could get a lot better if I staid under 65mph and 3000rpm's.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                                The main problem I have with the Tundras is they are in desperate need for an update. I'd say the same for the new Tacos and Camerys as well. Toyota hasn't made any significant updates on the Tundras since like 2007. Did they do anything for 2018?

Not saying the Tundras aren't reliable, but Chevy and Ford both have them beat on MPG. Heck, I think Chevy and Ford also have nicer interiors, options, etc.

Personally, I would find a trusted dealer and purchase whatever you are comfortable with. All these vehicles are reliable. I'd also take reliability claims on the internet with a grain of salt considering how many people (regardless of brand) don't even keep a truck 10 years.
                                I think their motto is don't fix it if it ain't broke. But I do agree, I would like to see them mix it up some. Finding a few more MPG would be a great place to start. We have a Tundra and 4Runner. Tundra obviously drinks it quick but the 4Runner could do better also.

Originally posted by Dirt_Dance View Post
                                Traded in my titan with 150k on it for a Chevy Tahoe. Titan was rock solid. Now I’ve had my Chevy Had it in the shop all week with oil pressure warnings. NOW they are telling me I have a significant amount of metal shavings in the oil Pan. WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY VEHICLE AGAIN! They can’t even make it 5 years and 100k. Garbage
                                We had a 2009 Tahoe. It was purchased new. In the Spring of 2014 we traded it in for the 4Runner. Tahoe was falling apart fast and the repair bills were no longer worth it. While I miss the extra space and some of the features of the Tahoe, the 4Runner will last forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X