East Texas Mountain Lion or Black Panther Sightings/ Killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WCB View Post
    Sure there are big cats. Just not black panthers. Unless they hang with Bigfoot...
    Agreed.... I think folks are confusing the sentiment. I don't see anybody claiming there are no regular mountain lions. There are plenty of pictures and actual recorded kills to show there are respectable populations. It is the mystical, mythical, elusive black ones without as much as a picture most don't believe.

Comment

Big cats in East Texas? you bet

Big BLACK cats in East Texas? I will have to see some definitive proof before I will believe

There was a pic of a mountain lion near Carthage on here last year or before

Comment

I've never seen a black one but I have seen a few regular ones. Saw one last week behind my house. I have a game cam back there now trying to get a pic but I'm thinking he was just passing through.

Comment

When I was about 10 or so, I heard one behind our house one night. Talk about give you the willies. My uncle said he saw one one evening while running his dogs on a timber plantation by his house. Another on reported just up the road from us in some friends pasture right off the highway. All this was on 255 from colmesneil to jasper. When I was in high school, supposedly someone's horse was killed by one behind the sheriffs office in woodville. They are there, that thick timber will hide more things than you know it.

Comment

Maybe it was a big cat that was in the oil spill

Comment

I'm always perplexed when someone says there is NO such thing as a black panther in Texas.

There may not be a "natural native black cat" in Texas but CERTAINLY someone could have released a black cat pet (or 2 or 3 or 10) and they could be around or even mated.

"Some" of the people who claimed to see them might not be lying. They may have really seen one.

I have a rancher cousin in Grayson county who says he sees one on his property about 1 or 2 times a year. He isn't a drunk. Never lies and is a church going dude I believe him.

It is NOT impossible that a black cat is roaming Texas without being on a trail cam. Have you ever seen albino horny toads? Or a baby dove? Doesn't mean they don't exist.

Comment

I saw a baby dove a few weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  I saw a baby dove a few weeks ago
                  See, so black panthers DO exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                    They need to place this sign on 288 in Houston.

Comment

I was shown a TC pic 3yrs ago of one at about 40' out. It was walking directly under the feeder so there was clear reference as to size.
                      I would like to say I am very knowledgeable about wildlife in my areas and if this was not a black cougar, it was DARK CHOCOLATE colored.
                      I have seen a cougar(mt. lion, same thing) in the wild in California as well as in zoos and my field guide to N. American mammals and what I was shown is definately a cougar in east Texas.
                      The place the pic was taken is off of FM 14 in wood county just NW of Holly Lake.
                      That is about 20 miles, as the crow flies from my lease and WAYYYY to close for my comfort !
                      As of now, I have seen no sign of them(prints, scratching posts,kills) out there and I really don't know what I'd do if I did.
                      Those are about the only critters that make me nervous to be out in the woods after dark !

Comment

My grandfather always told me about panthers following him in the moonlight right across the boarder in Louisiana when he was a young man!

He was born in 1903

Comment

I know it's tough to argue about the existence of black ones without proof but I know atleast one exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            The only real black panthers are probably marching in Florida right now...
                            I can always count on you for an LOL or a well placed zinger.

Comment

Interesting thread.... never thought about that... but come to think of it the only big cat ive seen that black are jaguars. Not lions... wasnt there talk about the jags in nexici moving north into texas... or sone other kind of big cat thats not a regular mountain lion..

For the record... mountain lion is some darn good eatin!!!!!

Comment

Not easy Texas but i know what i saw in erath county belas daylight was black long tail and could run fast saw it at coret yards i will never forget it . I dont know hy there are not alt of pics of them but if not what the hell did i see?

Comment

Working...
                                X