No announcement yet.

Dispatching of a deer with a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A knife is not a legal means to "take" a whitetail deer. Ever.

In the TPWD regs it states the "legal means" to take a deer and a knife is not one of them.

Comment

There was a record buck caught in a fence couple years back, man walks up and kills him with a knife. That was deemed illegal and the monster deer was confiscated, and it's rack is on display in Rick Perry's office.
      I believe this was the Camp Bullis non-typical buck? He went well over 200...close to 300 if I remember it correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
        I just Judi Chop them once to the neck and its all over

Im not sure on the legality of my method either?
        "an thar goes yer layg"

Comment

Sit tight folks as the answer, in order to be thorough, is a bit long...

We need to clarify a few things first.

2.2 To “hunt” and to “retrieve” are separate and distinct acts.

2.3 For purposes of this TPWD policy, the “hunt” is over at the end of legal hunting hours when the game animal is either wounded or killed. It is practically impossible for a hunter to know in all cases if he/she is retrieving a wounded animal or a dead animal.

2.4 This policy is consistent with the language of TPW Code, Sec. 62.011, which makes it clear that the duty to retrieve is triggered by the killing or wounding of the game animal regardless of the fact that legal hunting time may have expired.

2.5 In order to avoid conflict between failure to retrieve a game animal or game bird and other general hunting statutes (hunting at night, hunting with a light, hunting for hire, and/or tagging a deer), and in order to provide consistent law enforcement statewide and to assist hunters and persons in complying with the retrieval and waste of game statute (TPWD Code, ยง62.011), Texas game wardens will allow the practice of retrieving legitimately wounded game as outlined by the following Procedures/Guidelines.

3.1 Definitions

3.1.1 Dispatch – means to kill by a humane method.

3.1.2 Wounded deer – means a deer that is showing signs of injury and/or is leaving a blood trail, when shot (legal firearm or lawful archery or crossbow) and wounded by a hunter. (One caveat; A wounded deer is defined in regulation as a deer leaving a trail of blood; however, not all wounded deer leave a blood trail; therefore, a deer that is showing obvious signs of injury from being shot may be considered a wounded deer).

Guys & Gals, this is straight from the General Orders (AKA Policy & Procedures) from the Law Enforcement Division. The policy continues on and addresses trailing wounded deer with dogs with a lot more detail as to who can dispatch the deer, etc.

In essence, to answer the original poster's question; the wounded deer may be "dispatched" with a knife if necessary in my professional opinion. That said, I can assure you from experience that cutting the throat is not the quickest way to humanely kill the deer; you'd be better off piercing a vital organ in some form or fashion.

Hope this clears up some of the questions, but I've been around long enough to realize it'll probably spawn some more questions and "what if's" but I'll address those as they come and time permits.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
          X