Tom green county giant 8 down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom green county giant 8 down

Please excuse long write up but this buck is a trophy of a lifetime and I am so proud of him. I'll include lots of pics to keep you interested.

My brother and I took off for the lease thanksgiving night pretty late after the festivities. It's about a 3.5 hr ride up to San Angelo and I was really pumped because the weather was going to be perfect for big bucks to be on their feet. I was also really excited because this would be my youngest brothers first chance to get his first kill.

We arrived at the lease pretty late and I scrambled to go pull cards on the house pasture. I saw a really nice old high 120s 8 on camera I wanted to hunt but the wind was all wrong with that stand. I decided we would go in blind to the other pasture about 5 miles down the road and see if we could get the little brother on a hog. We settled in the blind the next morning and as the sun came up I could see little pigs at the feeder. After it went off mama came out and I asked him if he was ready to get his first kill. Of course he was! He put the rifle out the window and began to shake! It was awesome. He steadied the rifle and BOOM! I heard the bullet hit her and she took off into the brush. He set the rifle down and stuck his hand out, he was shaking with so much excitement! After a short track we found her and the high fives and hugs started.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	25101897
    We got her loaded and proceeded to go check cards on that pasture and that's when I saw him.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	25101913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	25101914
    He was hitting 4 out 6 of our set ups but was more frequent at a spot we call 3 down. It had been a few days since he had been there but seemed he was showing up every 4 or 5 days. I had to hunt him I sent picks to some buddies and he quickly acquired the name drop out because if you were in college you would drop out to kill this deer.

I sat for him Friday evening with no luck but I saw a ton of deer. I left my bow and stuff in the blind for the next mornings hunt.

The next morning I dropped the little brother in a box blind to scout and watch deer. I corned him up real good so he would have plenty of action to keep him occupied. I wanted to sit all day but whenever he was ready we would get out. I drove to my area and walked to the stand. I tossed out some hand corn and climbed in. The feeder went off at 7 am and I was quickly cover up in deer but drop out was not there. A pig came by and spooked the deer I put an arrow in him and after he ran off the deer returned. The feeder went off again at 730 and still no drop out but some new bucks were showing up. The deer ate up all the corn but were still in the area so I climbed out and hit the test button and ran back to the stand. There deer came back and gobbled up the corn again so when they left I did the same thing. Each time new deer showed up.

With almost all the corn gone the deer picked up their heads and looked in one direction, I thought it was the darn pigs again, and out he steps. I immediately start shaking. I ready my bow for a shot. Finally he turns to give me a broadside shot and I draw, settle my pin and release. My nocturnal buries behind his shoulder and blood is spraying every where. He disappears in the brush and I immediately call the little brother. I decided to back out and give him a while so we went back to the house to eat.

Mean while I'm calling and texting buddies and they are telling me to get in there but I had to wait. I shot at 9 and we return with my dog at 11. I got her out and directed her to first blood. She took off dragging me down the trail and made a huge circle down wind. When she got down wind her head kicked up and she darted back in the brush with me in tow. 15 yards later there he laysClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	25101915

My brother and I started to celebrate it was awesome! We just stood there staring at him, he was huge! We loaded him up and went to take ldps. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	25101916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	25101917

I can't believe I killed a giant 8 like this, I am still just still in awe. I got him all scored up and the total came to 147 1/8! What a deer.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	25101918Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	25101919
    This deer is almost perfectly symmetrical.

We ended the weekend with some more hogs and went home with some great stories.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	25101920

Thanks for reading and God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Heck of a buck!!!!

Comment

Congrats on a nice deer!

Comment

Great write up, congrats again JP! Glad I could name him

Comment

stud

Comment

Great buck. Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

beautiful buck! Congrats

Comment

Congrats to you and your brother!

Comment

Heck of a beautiful buck. congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Makes me wish I hadn't passed on the 8 I saw earlier this year[emoji37]

Comment

Heck of a deer!!!

Comment

WOW! That is a true monster in my book! Congrats!

Comment

Really Cool. Great for you and your Brother. Great Deer.

Comment

Impressive eight point. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X