No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man it is a lot of meat. But I really enjoyed those Elk steaks today for dinner

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
      I leave this Thursday the 14th. Hunt starts on the 15th.
      How did the Valle Vidal hunt go?

Comment

Well my dream hunt is almost here. Got to Durango this evening, hunting otc bull elk starting Saturday. Saw a black bear as we got to town this evening. My first bear ever to see in the wild which was really neat. My buddy has a cow elk tag and a mule deer buck tag and I will have a bull elk tag. Got enough coolers in the bed of my pickup so hope to fill a few of them up.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
          US outfitters won a law suit against the new mexico fish and game over ten years ago.
          In appeal they lost. 2 years later outfitter tags dropped from 12% to 10% and nonresident tags went from 10% to 6%. I would hate to see more drop. Soon the state will take over BLM land and there may be no tags if they open it to mining.
          This is exactly why every person reading this thread needs to join Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

Comment

Only a couple more weeks until AZ!!! Finally, all you guys have been done hunting elk for weeks, and I've just been sitting here doing nothing all fall, out west anyway.

Broadheads shot to 80 today, and I'm shooting better than I ever have. So ready to get gone and out of this dam heat!!!!!

Comment

Good luck. Should be an awesome time.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                Good luck. Should be an awesome time.
                Thanks man! Do you have any of your meat bags for sale still?

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                  Only a couple more weeks until AZ!!! Finally, all you guys have been done hunting elk for weeks, and I've just been sitting here doing nothing all fall, out west anyway.

Broadheads shot to 80 today, and I'm shooting better than I ever have. So ready to get gone and out of this dam heat!!!!!

Good luck, I'm rolling west in the morning to attempt AZ as well. Surprised to hear that they are still bugling a little in the mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck gents! What units did y’all draw?

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Thanks man! Do you have any of your meat bags for sale still?
                      Oh yeah. Still making deboned game bag sets when Im not trying to kill stuff.

Comment

I’ve been reading this thread trying to get from page 1 to the end.... dang there is a lot of good info. I’ll be going on my first western hunt next year and I’m trying to figure out exactly what i need. I’ve read yalls gear lists so i figure I’m on the right track. First two things I’m looking at purchasing is a pack and some boots. I have a hard time dropping $350-$400 on a pack that I’ve never seen in person and don’t know how it fits. Therefore If anyone has a good pack for sale I’d be interested. Or at least some pointers on which to look at. I just want a comfortable pack that can carry some weight. I’ll be camping from the truck and hiking in daily. Any ideas or recommdations I’d love to hear them. I’m 6’3”. Thanks.

Comment

Shoot me a PM with your information, I have a first generation Timberline 1 from Kifaru that I will sell you for a good price. But I have to finish using it on this hunt first. It is a small waist belt though, I am 6'1" and 215 if that helps.

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                          I’ve been reading this thread trying to get from page 1 to the end.... dang there is a lot of good info. I’ll be going on my first western hunt next year and I’m trying to figure out exactly what i need. I’ve read yalls gear lists so i figure I’m on the right track. First two things I’m looking at purchasing is a pack and some boots. I have a hard time dropping $350-$400 on a pack that I’ve never seen in person and don’t know how it fits. Therefore If anyone has a good pack for sale I’d be interested. Or at least some pointers on which to look at. I just want a comfortable pack that can carry some weight. I’ll be camping from the truck and hiking in daily. Any ideas or recommdations I’d love to hear them. I’m 6’3”. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                            6'3" is pretty tall, and I'd bet kifaru would put you in a 26 or 28" frame. A new top end pack will set you back anywhere between $575-$700. I bought an Exo Mountain Gear K2 3500 a while back. I absolutely love it and really like the fact that buying new means you have a great warranty backing your gear. I have hauled up to 100# on it and the pack did great. Steve and Lenny (the owners) are also super nice. I don't need boots now as you do, but boots and a pack are the two things I will not be skimping on for my first trip. Yes, it is all expensive, but I don't even want to imagine going backpacking with sub-par boots or a pack.

I am not a western hunter, just a research freak that has an elk hunting obsession. If you want to Talk about comparisons between gear attributes, just PM me and I'd be glad to tell you what I've researched in the last few months.

Comment

Thanks guys for offering to help. I will send you both PM’s. Thank y’all again!

Comment

So you have hunted out west? Or no? Have looked at the Exos several times, but after getting to know the Denver/Wheat Ridge guys at RMSGear and Kifaru, I️ will probably do the same thing again. And be ready to spend $900 to $1000 once you get your pockets, etc. Crazy “sport” spending a fortune to go live like a hobo in the sticks.

BUT, you do not need that kind of gear to get rolling. Especially if you are truck camping, biggest thing is boots. Everything else is just how tough you want/need to be. MANY critters still get hauled out with a Kelty Cache Hauler. I’ve hiked out two hind quarters bone in with one, worked just fine. Just way more sore when we get done.

QUOTE=popup_menace;12911829]6'3" is pretty tall, and I'd bet kifaru would put you in a 26 or 28" frame. A new top end pack will set you back anywhere between $575-$700. I bought an Exo Mountain Gear K2 3500 a while back. I absolutely love it and really like the fact that buying new means you have a great warranty backing your gear. I have hauled up to 100# on it and the pack did great. Steve and Lenny (the owners) are also super nice. I don't need boots now as you do, but boots and a pack are the two things I will not be skimping on for my first trip. Yes, it is all expensive, but I don't even want to imagine going backpacking with sub-par boots or a pack.

I am not a western hunter, just a research freak that has an elk hunting obsession. If you want to Talk about comparisons between gear attributes, just PM me and I'd be glad to tell you what I've researched in the last few months.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X