No announcement yet.

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of recipes I really like to can...

Beef, beans and rice:
    Prepare beans, 3 cups dried beans, boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and cover for one hour.
    Pressure cook a 3-4 pound roast. I use salt, pepper and rosemary as a dry rub, brown in a skillet, then pressure cook for 40 minutes. I do this while the beans are soaking. Shred beef.
    2 cups of sticky rice, 1 1/2 cups of water per cup of rice, simmer for 20 minutes covered. Also do this while the beans are soaking.

Back to the beans, rinse beans and add water and seasonings, 2 cups per cup of dried beans. Pressure cook at 10 pounds for 8 minutes.

Move beans to a stock pot, add beef and rice, bring to a simmer while you prepare the pressure cooker and jars.

This will make about 5 quarts or 10 pints. Place beef, beans and rice into jars leaving 1 inch of headspace, add water or broth if you like them a little thinner.

Process pints for 75 minutes or quarts for 90 minutes @ 10 pounds of pressure (15 for higher altitudes of course.

A pint jar makes a perfect meal with a little added cheddar cheese thrown on top when reheating.

Total prep and cook time is about 1.5 to 2 hours in a 23 quart canner and you have enough meals for 10 lunches.

Comment

Meatloaf:
      Make your regular meatloaf. If you use bread or crackers as a binder use oatmeal instead.

Pack the jars raw leaving 1 inch of headspace. Process pint for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure (15 pounds for higher elevation).

The pint jars make a great meal for two; just slip the meatloaf out, slice it, and make a sandwich. Or reheat and make some veggies and or potatoes to go along. The quart jars are good for a family meal.

A pint will hold about 1 pound of meat and a quart about 2 pounds of meat.

Comment

We can almost all of our deer...its the only way my daughter will eat deer...and she will ask for it. I trim the deer so there is no fat, stuff the canning jar mostly full, add a little salt and a 1" cube of beef tallow. It always comes out incredibly tender and tasting pretty much like beef. My son eats it right out of the jar at room temperature. Great stuff!

Comment

Here's another tip...
          When making something for dinner that you want to can, just make more.

Let's take meatloaf for example. When my wife makes meatloaf she makes a double batch. Then she forms up and cooks half for dinner and leaves the other half for me to can.

This way canning is part of the routine and there is no need to to make it a major undertaking on the weekends. I may can only 10 to 20 jars a week in my small pressure cooker, but it is fast and easy. We never run out of the stuff we like and we don't have to take up a whole weekend canning.

Another plus of small batch canning like this is if you have a recipe that doesn't go over well, you don't have 30 jars to use; only 3 or 4. It is a great way to test canning recipes.

Comment

We can deer meat. Our pressure canner does not have the pressure gauge. We just time it. Same way Tracy's family in Iowa has always done it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
              Ok I am very intrigued by this. I do have a question. I inherited my wife's grandmothers pressure cooker. It's in storage right now so I couldn't tell you what brand. But how do I tell if its still safe to use? Should I just do a trial run slowly?
              Yes sir, just do a test run.
              Make sure the seal is in good shape (if it uses a seal/gasket); it should be pliable with no cracks. Bend it around a finger to check for pliability and cracks. Then make sure the vent tube is clear and the weight is clear.

Put about 3 quarts of water in the cooker and turn it on high without the weight on. Make sure it vents properly, then put the weight on and let it start to jiggle; then turn down the heat so you get a nice slow jiggle, about 3-4 jiggles per minute.

Make a note of what the heat setting is as this will be the same when you process canned goods.

Kill the heat and let it cool, about one hour for a 23 quart cooker.

Also, check and make sure the weight is complete, many are three pieces and the weight you need goes by elevation. Under 1000 feet use 10 pounds, over 1000 feet use 15 pounds.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes, Robert! I want to try some full recipe canning.

I'm at the ranch for a couple of days, and brought some canned meat for quick meals. I made pork gorditas this evening. I'll make a quick carne guisada using Fiesta CG seasoning and venison tomorrow after the hunt. Last night I made quick shredded chicken tacos for my niece for a late-night snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Thanks for the recipes, Robert! I want to try some full recipe canning.

I'm at the ranch for a couple of days, and brought some canned meat for quick meals. I made pork gorditas this evening. I'll make a quick carne guisada using Fiesta CG seasoning and venison tomorrow after the hunt. Last night I made quick shredded chicken tacos for my niece for a late-night snack.

Sounds like you are getting some good use out of your canning!

Here a few from this weekend...

Beef, beans and rice
                  And meatloaf

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    Tubby, and others new to canning...
                    Do not let your jars cool in the canner (like overnight); let the canner cool down enough for the pressure to equalize then remove the jars and let them cool at room temperature. If they take too long to cool flat sour can occur.

Flat sour is not deadly but it makes the product unpalatable. Just give the canner enough time to cool, set the jars on a towel covered counter to cool; do not put a towel on top or wrap them with towels. The need to cool at room temperature, do not try to slow the process.

It may not happen every time they are slow cooled, so yours may be fine Tubby, but it can happen. But, if they taste like crap, you know what happened.
                    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!! I'm glad you chimed in on this because if I would have popped open a jar and it had flat sour, I would have been out of the canning business lol. I'll pop one open in a month or so and see how it turned out

Comment

I made venison Carne Guisada for a quick lunch between hunts today at the ranch using Fiesta CG seasoning (and some chopped onion and garlic). I also added canned potatoes. It was quick, easy and tasted great!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I like to cube the front shoulder meat and bread it just like you would to chicken fry. Put the canned meat in a pan and add some milk to make gravy and you have nice, tender smothered steak.

Comment

I'm not sure how I missed this thread... I remember you getting into canning... maybe it was on another thread. I could swear I asked how it turned out for you too... but can't find that thread... maybe it got whacked???

Anywho... looks like you are into the groove of things. Canned meat is awesome. I hadn't though about rabbit though. I love shooting those things and either stewing them or frying them... which by the way, l learned something the last time I brought home half a dozen of em.

quarter them like you would a deer. It doesn't take long at all. I pull the straps and fry those like "chicken tenders"... The front/back legs are good for stews or treat them just like you would chicken wings.

Comment

I got me a pressure cooker for Christmas. Going to read the manual tonight while at work . Hope to fire it up on my next set of days off .

Comment

well crud, now I gotta buy a canner. Would like to try some venison in gravy and chili as well

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                If you can premade soups or stews, just make sure you don't put thickeners (flour, cream, etc) or ingredients that will expand (beans, rice, pasta) when you can. Of course, those can be easily added later when you prepare your meal to eat.

What’s the best way to prep the jars?

Comment

Working...
                                X