• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What and where are the blood weeds?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter_pepper View Post
      What and where are the blood weeds?
      I'm assuming it's the ones in the overflow at the overlook or gate 9. Used to be hogs there but most people hunt there due to have to walk out there.

Comment

Im heading out there tomorrow!!!

Comment

Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
            Was that wood ladder right near the creek? I moved one during GRXH 2012 and sat it for an afternoon/evening. Always wanted to set up a spot at Granger, but 126 miles one way keeps me from doing that.
            On the north side of the creek, just east of a large clearing with a lot of knocked-down reeds that are super crunchy and loud when you try to cross over them. Closer to gate 6 than 7.

Comment

Bloodweed is a local name for giant ragweed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_trifida

It forms dense stands at Granger. As a woody annual, last years remnants are dry and crackly, making it difficult to move through without making a ton of noise.
              The seeds are great forage for quail, which makes me wonder why Granger is not a Texas quail hunting destination. But I have seen like one covey in two years there. Some say the hogs eat the eggs. Go figure.

Comment

I still think we need a herd or two of feral goats to eat the place down a little. Plus have an extra critter to hunt out there.

Comment

Im new to this forum and to bow hunting also. I am thinking about goin out there to stalk and look. I have rifle hunted for many years but this bow thing got me intrigued and now Ive spent so much money on it I gotta try before my wife kills me. I have an idea of taking the rv to willis creek and canoeing into an area or two (will make it easier to haul out) any suggestions on where is best place? Also what do they make you wear as far as orange goes. I was always told that in bow areas once your at the stand(if you use one) it can be taken off.

Comment

supposed to wear it at all times but plenty of people go without.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrier View Post
                      On the north side of the creek, just east of a large clearing with a lot of knocked-down reeds that are super crunchy and loud when you try to cross over them. Closer to gate 6 than 7.
                      That was it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbcates View Post
                        Im new to this forum and to bow hunting also. I am thinking about goin out there to stalk and look. I have rifle hunted for many years but this bow thing got me intrigued and now Ive spent so much money on it I gotta try before my wife kills me. I have an idea of taking the rv to willis creek and canoeing into an area or two (will make it easier to haul out) any suggestions on where is best place? Also what do they make you wear as far as orange goes. I was always told that in bow areas once your at the stand(if you use one) it can be taken off.
                        Orange vest, $4.00 at Academy, and orange hat. Headband will work, many folks just forget to put it on. I have a stretchy hat that fits over my Filson style hunting hat. Orange strap that hangs from my backpack as I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                          Bloodweed is a local name for giant ragweed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_trifida

It forms dense stands at Granger. As a woody annual, last years remnants are dry and crackly, making it difficult to move through without making a ton of noise.
                          The seeds are great forage for quail, which makes me wonder why Granger is not a Texas quail hunting destination. But I have seen like one covey in two years there. Some say the hogs eat the eggs. Go figure.

Somewhere on this thread a few years back is a picture Johnny sent me that he took from the cab of his tractor while mowing showing how high the bloodweeds were down in the flats along the river in F. When we did the spotlight surveys in the bloodweeds our visibility was extremely limited.

There always hog and deer in those during the day in F. They like to nap in there and if pushed will run to the river and go out on the point. Sometimes if you can keep up with them you'll catch them swimming across into D.

Comment

Went out there today fishing!! We drove down till 29 ends, made left then first right. Drove over train track, then came to a big sign with some pic's of fish. Walked down the logged stairway and walked up stream about a mile. I know primative ramp is about 8 minute drive from there. Does anyone know what place this is?

Comment

Originally posted by jbcates View Post
                              Wonder if you can get ticketed for shooting from that truck cab?

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
                                Went out there today fishing!! We drove down till 29 ends, made left then first right. Drove over train track, then came to a big sign with some pic's of fish. Walked down the logged stairway and walked up stream about a mile. I know primative ramp is about 8 minute drive from there. Does anyone know what place this is?
                                "the steps" White bass run fishing hole in feb It is part of the wma so you can hunt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X