No announcement yet.

Lets see simple DIY blinds w/ cattle panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, old satellite dish. Find them free on craigslist all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      When you cut the bottom strand off the cattle panel to form the ground "spikes", you are left with that long piece. Cut that long piece that you cut off, in half. Now them two halves will serve as the top, and bottom of your "door". When you bend your cattle panel into a "C", you wire them halves to each end of the cattle panel.........am I making sense here?lol

I also buried the leftover carpet along the ground and staked it down to the ground good to disuade any slitherin critters from gettin in there....they still can, but it's more work for the little bastages.

At Home Repot they got the indoor/outdoor carpet on the big bulk rolls, where you just tell them how much you want and they cut it off. They got 2 flavors of it though, you want the stuff with the black backing! It cost more, but it's much more weatherproof, and makes it alot darker inside. The regular green stuff is darn near clear from the inside out.

Also, pick you up a grande bag of 4" zip ties and don't be stingy with'em!

I may be going to Home Depot before the day is over...

A few moth balls or some sevin dust should keep them wasps and critters out!

Comment

I really like these set ups... What is it like 25 bucks a panel at TS. 12-15 on astro turf carpet. I have some old tent sticks, can I use them to make a dome instead of buying pvc?

Comment

You can find old carpet all over the place too instead of buying it.
          I found some by a dumpster couple months ago I got for the floor in my box blind.
          Washed it up in the driveway and steam cleaned it then hung it out in the back yard till I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Commander View Post
            I really like these set ups... What is it like 25 bucks a panel at TS. 12-15 on astro turf carpet. I have some old tent sticks, can I use them to make a dome instead of buying pvc?
            3/4 PVC is $1.50 for a 10' piece at Home Depot

Carpet is $2.48/linear foot from a 6' wide roll at Home Depot. I bought five 4x6 pieces and it was not enough. That was about $50. I'm gonna have to go buy about 10-12 more linear feet to finish it out. The 6' long pieces would not cover the roof.

If you have to buy everything, the blind will be <$100.

Comment

Originally posted by innergel View Post
              3/4 PVC is $1.50 for a 10' piece at Home Depot

Carpet is $2.48/linear foot from a 6' wide roll at Home Depot. I bought five 4x6 pieces and it was not enough. That was about $50. I'm gonna have to go buy about 10-12 more linear feet to finish it out. The 6' long pieces would not cover the roof.

If you have to buy everything, the blind will be <$100.
              Yeah, you're right its not that bad on price of pvc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
                You can find old carpet all over the place too instead of buying it.
                I found some by a dumpster couple months ago I got for the floor in my box blind.
                Washed it up in the driveway and steam cleaned it then hung it out in the back yard till I use it.

I will start looking harder in my area for it. I seem to do that when looking for pecan wood after a storm has knocked down trees. So just need to focus on carpet...

Comment

stuntrida- have you ever crawled in to find snakes/rodents etc? is there any way to lock that thing up to keep like coons out and stuff? if not i dont see how that doesnt turn into a coon den. that thing sure is cool though, looks just like a burn pile, no wonder the deer are relaxed around it

Comment

The thing i find is when building a ground blind like this you are def inviting critters in. Using chicken wire on the inside helps but wont keep out bees and snakes. Put some seven dust and moth balls that will help some. Make sure your door is big enough to where you can walk in and not crawl. They are very effective for hunting but if your not into maybe sharing it with critters then i wouldnt do it!! lol

Comment

well to tell you the truth im not scared of snakes and most other critters at all, but i just dont want them to make my ground blind home if that makes sense. i feel like if you made one that was more close up, like a brushed in box blind, or one that was more open, like a C shaped blind with no roof, critters would be less likely to come in.

Comment

These are great ideas Thanks

Comment

So here's a question about the critters/moth balls/sevin dust etc. Hunters spend millions every year on scent elimination products, cover scents etc, so the deer don't smell us. Then we go and fill our stands with moth balls which stink to high Heaven, does that really make sense? Is it just human/predator scents that the deer get spooked by? Seems like any foriegn scent, especially a chemical scent, would spook them, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

no i was thinking the same thing when someone mentioned moth balls. sevin dust doesn't smell that much imo, but i dont have the nose of a deer

Comment

I put mothballs in mine and have no probs with deer. Let it set for a week and thay come in just fine. Have the rack to prove it sorry my freezer is empty so no pics from last yrs meat... We ate it all..

Comment

I was looking around our lease at all the junk that the owner says we can recycle (code for clean up for him!) He has a lot of corrugated tin that has been flattenned, so cn be shaped. He also ha several bale frames, used for keeping round bales in place for cattle. This weekend I'm going to screw the panels to the frame using self tappers, then figure out a roof. Will post when I get it done!

Comment

Working...
                                X