sabine national forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
    I went this past spring for a turkey hunt with no success, did see some deer and deer signs. I would like to make a trip over there for a hunt with out much scouting I think it may be a hard hunt, heck I have a hard enough time hunting the Sam Houston.
    I have been seeing much turkey this season of 87. Hopefully they are still roaming around there in April.

Comment

Ragtown is a great place to camp. You can hunt all over that area. Ive always found success near the lake and open pipeline type areas .google earth

Comment

I got my Doe tag in yesterday!! It's cool, because every year I have gotten one I have killed one!! Hope the streak continues!!

Comment

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
          I am hoping the acorns are falling in some of my favorite hardwood bottoms on the SNF and the Moore Plantation. I am gonna just pop into a couple of the spots for blind hunts, places that always have a buck or two. Then there will be a few power scouts, into the past hotspots, check the sign discretely, low profile - midday, with scent control, and back out.
          I hunt the Moore. Meet you at the Beer Store opening weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
            I hunt the Moore. Meet you at the Beer Store opening weekend
            lol. I guess I know where to find you if I need help getting that monster buck out of the woods.

Comment

lol. I guess I know where to find you if I need help getting that monster buck out of the woods.
              We have hunted here for over 25 years. My buddies all have pics hanging in the store Our Camp is at 2343/NF117

Comment

Reports are out in the Yellow Pine area, that bucks are beginning to show interest in a bit of pre-rut activity!!

Comment

I went on a power scout during the midday on Sunday, a week ago, in the six mile bottom area. Noticed that there was a good many scrapes, but found only one decent rub, something a 3 1/2 year old buck might make.

It was pretty hot, and I was not hunting, so I was not wearing my orange. As I worked my way back to the truck and was still about 200 yards from the road, I looked to my right and saw someone, I figured another hunter so I waved and kept on to the road.

Thirty seconds later I looked to the right again and see this guy headed my way. Turns out it was the forest ranger and he had came into the woods after me! Well, I got a warning from him on the orange deal. If you are doing anything hunting related, though not hunting itself, you gotta have the orange.

Oh well, he was a nice enough fellow and we had some good conversation. I just could not believe he barged right into the woods to hunt me down. If I was hunting, orange and all, and this happened and he ruined the hunt, I would have been P.O.'d but I guess there's nothing I could do. Any one have this happen to them?

Comment

Ummm, the book says "hunting", not "hunting related". Were you carrying a weapon?

If you weren't carrying a weapon, how does he know you weren't hiking?

I know that the use of hunter is encouraged and recomended, even for hikers. However, it isn't required when your scouting/hiking.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                      Ummm, the book says "hunting", not "hunting related". Were you carrying a weapon?

If you weren't carrying a weapon, how does he know you weren't hiking?

I know that the use of hunter is encouraged and recomended, even for hikers. However, it isn't required when your scouting/hiking.
                      No weapon but a machete. Got to protect myself from chupacabra's and black planthers. No, he just barged into the woods to find me. Still had his vehicle running when we got out to the road.

Comment

I have heard of them coming into the woods to check a hunter (even on the stand while hunting) to make sure orange is being worn, license and permits are squared away, etc.

In your situation, I believe you were legal. I don't believe you had to have it on, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket.

Comment

No weapon but a machete. Got to protect myself from chupacabra's and black planthers. No, he just barged into the woods to find me. Still had his vehicle running when we got out to the road.
                          He might have a big buck in the area he's trying to protect for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                            I have heard of them coming into the woods to check a hunter (even on the stand while hunting) to make sure orange is being worn, license and permits are squared away, etc.

In your situation, I believe you were legal. I don't believe you had to have it on, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket.
                            Well, it was a pretty good size block of woods to wonder around in trying to find someone, to check their orange and license. I never seen game wardens do this. But apparently the forest rangers go by a different code of ethics, none..... no I take that back, since he didn't give a ticket......

Comment

Hunters orange is required when hunting. They claim it is for safety which it could be if used properly. The book is pretty clear about it being for hunting; not hiking, biking or working. Basically until they make everyone wear it including themselves it is so you can find the hunters IMO. Also not sure a forest ranger can issue you a hunting citation.

Comment

Well, it was a pretty good size block of woods to wonder around in trying to find someone, to check their orange and license. I never seen game wardens do this. But apparently the forest rangers go by a different code of ethics, none..... no I take that back, since he didn't give a ticket......
                                Come hunt the Sam Houston bud, Federal and State Game Wardens walk in on hunters all the time over here.
                                Last edited by TMiddleton; 10-26-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X