No Draw Hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post

They already started with youth categories this year, 3 hunts max per category. They need to do this across the board next year, they will get more money from me if they do.

It’s kinda a double edge sword. They would loss money from some but gain from the ones that don’t apply anymore. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We always do but selective on where we apply. Figure if I get lucky might as well have good odds of getting something.

Comment

It took me 11 years of applying before I was ever drawn, putting in 15 to 25 entries per year. I have been drawn twice in ~15 years....one bow hunt and one gun hunt. None the less I enjoy putting in every year.

Comment

If nobody is getting drawn, then who is it that goes on these hunts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch-head03-idea-animated-animat.gif~c200.gif
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	24551107

Comment

I put in for a few hunts each year. In the last decade, I have been drawn only 3 times. Twice for GDA and once for GDM

Comment

I put my daughter in for the max amount this year( first year trying it and 0 luck so far) hers are free to enter so just take me some time to enter them no $$...

Comment

Right now the barrier to entry is very small,. So people drop $3 a pop on as many as they can. This lowers barrier of entry but significantly lowers odds. What if the draw cost was $25 per draw but a percentage of that cost goes toward the permit if your drawn. After you apply so many years your permit will be paid for and your draw cost in that category is only the net percent cost. The system we have now is modeled after the lottery, low entry barrier but low odds. People are fundamentally optimistic and will continue to apply even though the odds are low. This maximizes revenue but penalizes those who apply often.
                You can build a better preference point system around a higher application cost.

Comment

I had lost interest and began the saga of east Texas deer lease drama hunting. But now my 10yr old has the fever after killing his first deer, so I put him in for every hunt I could. We’ll just see how it goes. Can’t complain with the app fee being $0 for kids.

Comment

5 years of spending about $75 each time in entries. Have yet to get drawn. Always disappointed but I know one day I’ll draw something.....maybe. That Fort Boggy/Choke Canyon fiasco this year really heart my heart lol. I just tell myself the money is going to a good cause. May start applying for out of state hunts. Just now sure where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have only entered for a few until this year and they were always the bad odds trophy type hunts but a buddy that does a lot of these got me to put in some apps and we were drawn for a nilgai archery hunt. He gets drawn for at least 1 or 2 every year. If you are after a trophy hunt odds are very bad but if you just want a hunt for some meat odds are pretty dang good.

Comment

I have for the last few years.. just a couple here and there, just for chits and grins.. never been drawn

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                          Right now the barrier to entry is very small,. So people drop $3 a pop on as many as they can. This lowers barrier of entry but significantly lowers odds. What if the draw cost was $25 per draw but a percentage of that cost goes toward the permit if your drawn. After you apply so many years your permit will be paid for and your draw cost in that category is only the net percent cost. The system we have now is modeled after the lottery, low entry barrier but low odds. People are fundamentally optimistic and will continue to apply even though the odds are low. This maximizes revenue but penalizes those who apply often.
                          You can build a better preference point system around a higher application cost.
                          Thats a good idea but I just as well prefer they charge you the entire $80 or $130 permit fee at time of application and give you a refund when you don't draw. Or a system that might get more applications is requiring you credit card info at time of application and if you draw they charge you immediately, none of this waiting to see if people want to pay for the hunt they drew and 2nd draw business.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

put in for about 7 of them this year. Haven't been drawn in the 6 years I have been donating my money.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              Thats a good idea but I just as well prefer they charge you the entire $80 or $130 permit fee at time of application and give you a refund when you don't draw. Or a system that might get more applications is requiring you credit card info at time of application and if you draw they charge you immediately, none of this waiting to see if people want to pay for the hunt they drew and 2nd draw business.

I like the premise of this, but still should let you decline the hunt without a 50% refund. This will let them max the monies and still let people have the chance to hunt.

Comment

I apply for hunts in several categories. Whitetail (rifle and archery), Mule deer (rifle and archery and pronghorn. However, I take into consideration the dates, so that I know I can make the trip. I don't want to waste my points and years of applications to get selected for a hunt that I can't make.
                                Not interested in management or doe hunts, as I am fortunate enough to have access to enough venison for my annual requirements.
                                I also only apply to hunts in areas that I feel will offer the opportunity at a trophy animal.
                                I have been fortunate to make a whitetail hunt and a mule deer hunt, with the system. I did not take a whitetail, because I was being very selective (NO REGRETS). I scored on a great mule deer, in January of this year.
                                I was just selected for this year's archery hunt at Kickapoo Caverns.
                                As far as the cost goes; I rarely purchase a lottery ticket and even more rarely a "scratch-off ticket"; but I'm certain the total TPWD draw hunt applications costs me less per year, and I certainly have better odds of getting Value in return.
                                Just my thoughts.
                                PS: While I'm not fond of politics (to put it mildly)' and I can't be sure where all the money goes; I'm sure it takes a lot of $$$ to maintain Texas public land for ALL Texas wildlife; NOT just the game animals and birds. Just sayin'!

Comment

Working...
                                X