The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
    I'm not chasing the premium tags. 4 or 5 points will get me the units I'm looking for. Some deer units I'm looking at can be drawn every 3rd year. Trying to get it lined up where I can get a good hunt in Az, Colorado, and Wyoming with a year in between to chase mule deer
    Even most low point units have a lottery tag pool not just high pp holder, but to each thier own

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
      I put in for most western states. What I try to do is have a short term, mid-term, and long term plan.

AZ the Elk unit(s) I want take 7-9 years so I count that as a mid-term. I'm at 7 so I'm close! After I blow my deer points in AZ I'm going to put in for a much easier unit, but I can't waste my points I have now.. WY I'll never catch up to max so I'm pretty much on the mid-term plan since nothing is "easy" to win there.. Utah and Nevada are pretty much all long term. NM I put in for easier units in the Guide Draw (although I DIY it). My goal is to try to get NM every other year or so.

Then I always have a back up plan if I don't win crap.. My current backup plan is leftover Coues hunting.. It's too much fun to pass up
      Might want to check the NM regulations. I think they altered the guided rule this year.

Comment

Does anyone know the code for applying for just a pref point in Wyoming for deer and elk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone know the code for applying for just a pref point in Wyoming for deer and elk?

Just wait until July then buy the points. $50 for elk $40 for deer.

Comment

Ya, it doesn't open up for points until later in the year

Comment

Anyone go to Pagosa Springs, Colorado area? I have been going a few years just wondering if anyone one else on here is chasing elk there

Comment

I'm going some where around there. Haven't decided yet

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                  Just wait until July then buy the points. $50 for elk $40 for deer.

Gotcha, I like that setup

Comment

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person but I may have over estimated my abilities. Lol

Where can I find out about public land hunting in colorado in particular which sections are legal for OTC tags and which are draws. For instance unit 78 says it has OTC tags and draw tags but I can’t find a map which shows which sections can you hunt with an OTC tag?

What is the difference between US forest service land and USFS wilderness areas? I am smart enough to stay away from private land but can’t tell the difference between these. I read what is legal to shoot and how to leave evidence of sex on the animal. i can find the stats on harvest numbers for the units but nothing differentiating OTC and Draw sections.

Are whole units OTC and whole units draw only or are they mixed?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                      I consider myself a fairly intelligent person but I may have over estimated my abilities. Lol

Where can I find out about public land hunting in colorado in particular which sections are legal for OTC tags and which are draws. For instance unit 78 says it has OTC tags and draw tags but I can’t find a map which shows which sections can you hunt with an OTC tag?

What is the difference between US forest service land and USFS wilderness areas? I am smart enough to stay away from private land but can’t tell the difference between these. I read what is legal to shoot and how to leave evidence of sex on the animal. i can find the stats on harvest numbers for the units but nothing differentiating OTC and Draw sections.

You are over thinking it first 78 is filled with grizzlies so be careful(well atleast in the late 70’s)

The tag weither draw or OTC is good for the assigned season and entire unit, public or private land

78 Archery elk- OTC all sept
                      78 first rifle season -draw
                      78 second rifle season OTC
                      78 third rifle season OTC
                      78 fourth Rifle season Draw

USFS is open to bikes and motorized vehicles
                      Wilderness is not open to bikes or Motorized vehicles only foot traffic

Comment

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is a nationally recognized leader in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. The agency​ manages 42 state parks, all of Colorado's wildlife, more than 300 state wildlife areas and a host of recreational programs. CPW issues hunting and fishing licenses, conducts research to improve wildlife management activities, protects high priority wildlife habitat through acquisitions and partnerships, provides technical assistance to private and other public landowners concerning wildlife and habitat management and develops programs to understand, protect and recover threatened and endangered species.

This has everything you would ever want to know.

Comment

Get your AZ applications in boys and girls!!! Just don't take my unit 9 tag. ha ha ha ha I have exactly 0.5% draw odds, so you're saying there is a chance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post

You can hunt anywhere in an OTC unit during otc archery season (basically september). After that they have draw hunts.

The tag thing seems easy until you're hauling out a bull in multiple trips. The tag says it's a carcass tag which to me means it stays with the meat. You haul half of the meat to the truck and leave the rest but then you're walking around with meat, proof of sex, and no tag. Do it the other way and then you leave the head, proof of sex, and half of the meat miles from the truck with no tag on it. Lol lose/lose.

Comment

Colorado 2018 regulation books are out

Comment

Originally posted by SpankyWF View Post
                                Anyone go to Pagosa Springs, Colorado area? I have been going a few years just wondering if anyone one else on here is chasing elk there
                                I have hunted this area the last 3 years. Going to try 711 for Mule Deer this year i believe

Comment

Working...
                                X