• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't buy one! did that help?

Comment

Love my .308.

Comment

I'd say if you want a custom do it. Don't really need a reason like competition shooting or slaying critters a 1000 yards.

It's hard to describe a custom and it's not for everyone.

Being that you don't reload it's going to be hard to say you should try this or that. Currently the only thing that comes close to a 308 in availability of ammo from cheap hunting to premium hunting and match is the 65 Creedmoor.

It's today's flavor of the month but who's to say what ammo availability will be like in a few years. I tend to think it will do well and will always be something available just as there is for the 260 rem and 7mm-08, a couple of previous flavors of the month.

My opinion, hand load and shoot what ever you want.

To answer your op, 7mm-08 or a 30-06.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

308. Is a great round and will do anything you need it too. Also don't have to look all over the planet to find ammo for it. Sako a7 308 will be plenty of rifle

Comment

Ain’t a thing in the world wrong with a 308. It doesn’t necessarily excel at much of anything but it does a lot of things well.

Great utility round to have around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Prolly kinda like alot of us on here, not awesome at even 1 thing, but pretty good at alot of things. That being said i ain't talkin u outta 1

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                About to get me a new gun built. I just sold a semi custom .308 because I just want to do something different in looks and was thinking of a full on custom this time.

I do not reload and have zero plans of doing so in the near future so off the shelf ammo is what I want, even though I order most of mine from Dallas reloads.

I will sometimes try to shoot paper and stretch the legs a little at longer distances but most shots hunting will be no further than 300.

Gun will be suppressed and a 20' or shorter barrel is ideal.

Just sometimes think maybe I should get something different but I just cant come up with a good reason why so wanted to see what everyone here thought!

I know there is a nice, accurate Tikka T3
                .308 in the classifieds with a nikon prostaff of top ready to go. My furthest kill with it was a pig at 360 yards. Half inch groups at 100 yards with 168 gr fusions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Ain’t a thing in the world wrong with a 308. It doesn’t necessarily excel at much of anything but it does a lot of things well.

Great utility round to have around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
                  Prolly kinda like alot of us on here, not awesome at even 1 thing, but pretty good at alot of things. That being said i ain't talkin u outta 1
                  That's why I like it. Plus I already have the ammo.

The only thing I would consider besides custom would be a Remington 5r but would still get smith work done on it anyways and already looking at one.

Comment

Hard to beat .308, have you thought about 300 blackout or 30'06? only other round I have heard that packs a good punch is a 6.5mm (in nato standards not sure what it is in american).

Comment

If your looking at the 5r have you contemplated the model 70 extreme weather? If you have the money to go full custom I say go for it. But I personally just do not like the .308 but for your use it would be fine. I would probably run a 7mm-08 though just on principle especially if your having reloads made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        That's why I like it. Plus I already have the ammo.

The only thing I would consider besides custom would be a Remington 5r but would still get smith work done on it anyways and already looking at one.
                        I've got a 5r Gen II in .260 that has been really great. Pleased with the action and stock, but did put in a Timney. Ballistics about like a Creedmoor, but it was a convenient excuse to get into reloading given the scarcity of ammo.

Nothing wrong with a .308, but its always fun to tinker with new calibers.

Comment

Another vote for the 308

Comment

I have a 20-inch fluted bull barrel .308 and I absolutely love it. Shot an axis doe at 225 a couple of weeks ago and drop was negligible. 300 shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Do it.

Comment

I'll agree that the 308 is most likely going to be the easiest to get ammo on, and it will pretty much do anything in the US. Unless I missed it, what are you going to be hunting, or, maybe have the chance to hunt in say the next 5 years?
                              I like the 300 but I see that I may be alone on that boat.
                              With the right optics the 300 may not have anything over the 308, but like the heated seasts, just kinda like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                                I'll agree that the 308 is most likely going to be the easiest to get ammo on, and it will pretty much do anything in the US. Unless I missed it, what are you going to be hunting, or, maybe have the chance to hunt in say the next 5 years?
                                I like the 300 but I see that I may be alone on that boat.
                                With the right optics the 300 may not have anything over the 308, but like the heated seasts, just kinda like it.
                                Whitetail, axis, aoudad, black buck, pigs for sure and who knows what else.

Comment

Working...
                                X