What am I doing wrong? taxidermy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
    I've done dozens of euros. I've never "degreased" anything.

If you've simmered it clean, I soak it in a bleach water solution for about 30mins, let it dry and then mix the peroxide paste and quick white in to the consistency of cake icing and cake it on the skull. I let it sit overnight with a heater on it. Next morning. It's done.
    Hogs? The last hog I put in 30% bleach crystallized the skull and it became fragile to the touch.

Comment

Be careful with large volumes of acetone. I was a chemist and with any spark it's vapors will do a bad eplosion.

μολν λαβ

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
        My way was way easier than these recommendations:
        1. Shot hog.
        2. Pretend not to be able to find it.
        3. Two years later, 'stumble' across skull (near broken arrow).
        4. Pick up missing teeth.
        5. Take home and clean up.
        6. Display.
        ^^^this seems way easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
          I've done dozens of euros. I've never "degreased" anything.

If you've simmered it clean, I soak it in a bleach water solution for about 30mins, let it dry and then mix the peroxide paste and quick white in to the consistency of cake icing and cake it on the skull. I let it sit overnight with a heater on it. Next morning. It's done.
          This, without the heater part. I no longer try the ant bed or maceration process because it leaves a yellow tint and stinks, especially in the brain cavity. During the last boil I add the dawn soap, wash it off then let it sit in a bleach bath for a couple hours, that seems to get rid of the smell. Last step is to wash that off and apply the peroxide and let it sit over night. Now all my euros are white and don't smell

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Let my wife cook it. It will be bleached out and dryer than a popcorn farther in no time!

That's funny right there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have boiled all mine hog and deer with oxyclean and when done mix the peroxide paste and leave on for as long as you want spray it off with water hose and let dry.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                My way was way easier than these recommendations:
                1. Shot hog.
                2. Pretend not to be able to find it.
                3. Two years later, 'stumble' across skull (near broken arrow).
                4. Pick up missing teeth.
                5. Take home and clean up.
                6. Display.

Comment

Any of the "whitening" you get has to have heat to activate, just like when you see the old ladies sitting under the heater at walk salons. But before all of that, you need to boil the head in water and Dawn, and then pull teeth, and boil some more. After that I would get the liquid 20 percent and simmer in that for a while checking to see when it's white.

Comment

Alright pulled it out of the Dawn bath today and am able to scrape off the yellow with my thumbnail down to white bone. Do I power wash it at this point or contune to let it soak until the soap pulls it off the bone?

Comment

Go ahead and clean up as good as possible. Then make a new batch of clean water and soap and do it all over again.

Comment

Let it completely dry out then post pic. Sit in front of fan to speed up process. Honestly you will never get all of grease out of the bone the way you are doing it

Comment

The heat in the degreaser is what does most of the work not the soap

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                            Let it completely dry out then post pic. Sit in front of fan to speed up process. Honestly you will never get all of grease out of the bone the way you are doing it
                            How should I be doing it???? Put it back on the burner in a degreasing bath??

Comment

Use an aquarium heater

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Speedgoat; 02-03-2017, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X