Broadhead expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead expectations

What do you look for or expect from your broadheads? Do you consider them a success if you find the deer, do you expect the head to come out damaged, should the head come out fine?

The reason I ask is I shot a deer this afternoon with a broadhead that I don't consider has "replaceable" blades. I expected to sharpen the head and shoot something else with it. It came out the other side of the animal missing the bleeders and the main blade and ferrule severly damaged and bent. Then was a heart/bottom of the lung shot. Deer fell in sight.

Am I asking too much?

The damage is the reason I shoot onlly stainless Bear Razorheads on deer. Last two shots I've pulled the arrow out of the dirt/rocks (1 miss, one pass-thru), cleaned them off, sharpened them, and stuck them back on the same shafts for the next hunt.

Only damage I've had with shots on game, either hogs or deer, is the bleeder blade coming out somewhere and some minor chips in the edges.

And, I expect two things from my BHs---take and hold a razor-sharp edge, and fly right (and I use 4" vanes to help with this).

Comment

If a broadhead gets the job done. as it did then it's done. If you get to shoot it again after sharpening it's a bonus.

People worry to much on if I can shoot that head again.

Comment

I was very pleased Friday evening with the grim reaper hybrids I just ordered last week. Shot a sow at 23 yrds. Complete pass through and into the ground. Zero damage to the fixed blade side or the mechanical side. I will continue to shoot these.

Comment

1. Spin straight and fly straight... And well tuned bow will shoot that combo well

2. Sharp, easy to replace blades at a reasonable cost

3. Steel feral , no room for aluminum junk on the business end on an arrow. If it breaks before exit it ain't doing its job

4 thick blades. It blades are broke off before exit, they ain't doing their job.

I've shot slick trick mags for years now and have killed over 100 animals with them, unless quality changes, I won't switch

Comment

Never worried what a BH looks like after a kill. If it does it's job, fine, if it can be resharpened and reused, fine, but if not, I have others that will replace it.

Comment

If you damage a Magnus they will replace it free. I like the Black Hornets. They fly great, are sharp, durable, penetrate great and make big holes. Easily resharpened and if you hit a rock or something and they get bent or broken they will will replace it.

Comment

Broadhead expectations

Just the other day, on night shift I took my bow box to work and went to town with a lansky. I was able to disassemble my rages that were dull from kills, my reapers that were also dull and some trophy ridge rubber band broadhead that I killed a doe with this year. All took an edge well and went back in the quiver. That's pretty much all I can ask for

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  1. Spin straight and fly straight... And well tuned bow will shoot that combo well

3. Steel feral , no room for aluminum junk on the business end on an arrow. If it breaks before exit it ain't doing its job

4 thick blades. It blades are broke off before exit, they ain't doing their job.

I've shot slick trick mags for years now and have killed over 100 animals with them, unless quality changes, I won't switch
                  Great post. All good reasons why I shoot ST MAGs too. I do like 4 blades and the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Have to agree with Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by dadams View Post
                      If you damage a Magnus they will replace it free. I like the Black Hornets. They fly great, are sharp, durable, penetrate great and make big holes. Easily resharpened and if you hit a rock or something and they get bent or broken they will will replace it.
                      I was excited to shoot the black hornets but after what happened I am scared to shoot them at a big buck. Replace for free or not, heaven forbid I hit a leg bone
                      Or scapula and the thing not penetrate. I think the aluminum ferrule is the problem. I am going to save the other two for hogs and see how they do. I was saddened when they discontinued the razor tricks. I still have enough left I will use until I can find its replacement.

Comment

Broadhead expectations

I shoot slick trick 125g in my crossbow.

Currently shoot Rage 2-blade 100g in my wheel bow, but thinking about switching to slick trick 100g.

I shot a doe last week with crossbow, straight thru heart, hit no bones, and buried itself in a huisache limb laying on the ground.

I pulled it out of limb, no chips, bends, or dents in the blades or tip.

I will not hesitate to reuse it again.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447126664.905699.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	24415267
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447126682.722594.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24415268
                        Last edited by denowt; 11-09-2015, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Heartcraft Xchange lifetime warranty on feral and replaceable blades best part is they are pretty inexpensive and super deadly I have the master pack and plenty of blades left just don't loose the ferals

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                            I was excited to shoot the black hornets but after what happened I am scared to shoot them at a big buck. Replace for free or not, heaven forbid I hit a leg bone
                            Or scapula and the thing not penetrate. I think the aluminum ferrule is the problem. I am going to save the other two for hogs and see how they do. I was saddened when they discontinued the razor tricks. I still have enough left I will use until I can find its replacement.
                            Any chance the head was not on tight? Did you cinch it down with a BH wrench? I have shot 3 deer with 100 grain Black Hornets this year. Two bucks that field dressed about 160 and a doe. All three were pass throughs and hit bone, one went through the offside shoulder. All 3 then hit hard into the ground and we have rocky soil. The ferrules were fine on all of them, no loss of bleeder blades, main blades were nicked up but could easily be resharpened. It sure sounds like they may not have been solid up against the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by dadams View Post
                              Any chance the head was not on tight? Did you cinch it down with a BH wrench? I have shot 3 deer with 100 grain Black Hornets this year. Two bucks that field dressed about 160 and a doe. All three were pass throughs and hit bone, one went through the offside shoulder. All 3 then hit hard into the ground and we have rocky soil. The ferrules were fine on all of them, no loss of bleeder blades, main blades were nicked up but could easily be resharpened. It sure sounds like they may not have been solid up against the shaft.
                              I will give them another shot but I am 95% sure they were tight. I was shooting an easton axis arrow that was footed with an aluminum arrow so it had a solid base.

Comment

Working...
                              X