Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super Six-Four View Post
    I recommend you not leaving it like the policies state. We have hardly any public land to hunt here in Texas. If we don't take care of it we may end up with none.
    Understand ya. I'm new to public land and just seemed like I've read quite a few messages that make it seem like people do. Me personally I don't even own one, I'm new to it all. I'm still at ground level, literally...haha. I was kinda seeing how hard the wardens were also.

Comment

Nice shot BowinHand!

Comment

Originally posted by Arborist37 View Post
        Understand ya. I'm new to public land and just seemed like I've read quite a few messages that make it seem like people do. Me personally I don't even own one, I'm new to it all. I'm still at ground level, literally...haha. I was kinda seeing how hard the wardens were also.

They could be referring to a made stand. You can use downed limbs and such to make your own blind or stand. But you cannot cut those limbs, they have to already be downed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rule says if it don't hurt the tree you can use it and leave it out I lock mine. But when not I actual use must be removed. I ask game warden one day when he walked by my spot and we went over rules on web site right there. Pop up must be removed everyday after hunt or the can repo them and cameras. Google Whitney hunting and look at policies.

Comment

I understand y'all. I read the policies, I was just kinda asking a general question I guess. If I use anything, it'd be a ground blind and I'd for sure not leave it out there. And I see, Jeremy, where they could have actually been referring to rebrushing a ground blind so to speak without doing any damage to the limbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunome View Post
              Rule says if it don't hurt the tree you can use it and leave it out I lock mine. But when not I actual use must be removed. I ask game warden one day when he walked by my spot and we went over rules on web site right there. Pop up must be removed everyday after hunt or the can repo them and cameras. Google Whitney hunting and look at policies.
              You are only partially correct. You can not cut any vegetation of any type. That goes for dead trees as well. You can not push them over to clear an area for shooting lanes. But you can use stuff that is already "laying" on the ground that has fallen from a tree. Or one that has fallen over on it's own. That is considered "Loose material".

And you can not leave a stand. It must be removed when the hunt is over. I have personally seen ACE searching for, and remove stands that were left in trees, locked with chain or cables. They sometimes carry ladders and a cutting torch with them.

It's also very easy to report someone that is breaking the rules by leaving a stand. All a person has to do is take the GPS coordinates with their cell phone and e-mail them to ACE. They are very prompt about stand removal. I'm not saying I've ever done that. But know some hunters that do.

From the ACE Whitney/Aquilla web sight:

"HUNTING BLINDS & GAME CAMERAS
              Natural hunting blinds made of loose materials or portable blinds are authorized for hunting deer or waterfowl. No standing vegetation, live or dead, may be cut for any purpose. Hunting blinds may not be built in, nailed or screwed to trees. Tree stands are restricted to portable, non-bark penetrating types only. Stands must be removed when not in actual use. Hunting blinds must be removed and transported after each hunt. The abandonment of property is prohibited and will result in the items being confiscated. Screw in or nail in tree steps and spikes are prohibited. Game cameras may be used but MUST be removed at the end of each hunt. Any items left will be confiscated."

and it goes on to say:

"VIOLATIONS
              Violators of any of these provisions are subject to a fine and/or loss of hunting privileges. By accepting a hunting permit, hunters agree that they have been furnished a copy of the rules, understand its entirety and agree to comply with all applicable state and federal laws."

Perhaps your "game warden" needs a refresher on the web rules. Or maybe you misunderstood him/her. Further more, if it was an ACE person in a green uniform with a badge and no gun, it was a ranger. And not a "game warden". They do help enforce their rules. But when it comes to the federal level of wardens, then it would be a US Fish and Wildlife Federal Warden on any federal lands. USFW Service Wardens are allowed to carry fire arms. Rangers are not, at the present. USFW Wardens are allowed to go to any federal lands and protect widllife. Rangers have an assigned "project" to protect. But they can write you citations and press criminal charges just like any other officer. I have run across USFW Wardens doing work. They will ID them selves as such when approaching you, just like a "State Game Warden", or any other peace officer will. And most of the "State Game Wardens" are only interested in enforcing state game laws and regulations, not the rules that ACE has put forth for Whitney about tree stand, vegetation, ect. You may find state game wardens out there on federal lands checking hunters for compliance also. If a "Ranger" finds a game violation, they usually call a local state game warden. Then issue citations on top of what the state warden dose. so you have a double en-dimity to pay for violations on Federal lands, on top of restitution for both . Just hope a Federal Warden never has to confront you for violations. You won't like it at all.

Hope this clears up a few things for those who won't go to the web sight. I don't mind refreshing my memory. Or checking for updates. I had to do that my self not long ago. Right Razorback?

Comment

Almost forgot, I left out Federal Marshals, Federal Police, and State Police. But I'll spare yall the details on ACE lands. USFS is another story too.

Comment

Okay, well if all that was directed at me, I have already " went to the website". I was just asking a general question because it is obvious reading through the messages that there are multiple people on here not actually following the policies, so I was just asking. I wanted to know for myself, for example, maybe if I got multiple people with me and a permit isnt in the window for all maybe we forgot to put it up there, I was just asking to understand how strict they are. That is all. I figured some of y'all would know them or maybe ran across them and had stories. I can already tell you I try to stick to policy. I can also tell you that if I have to lug my stuff in and out per policy, you can bet I'll be one writing down coordinates. It is only fair to stick to the policy for everybody. I was not trying to start a big issue between members though.

Comment

Wasn't directed at you Arborist. It was for everybody's education. I just don't like seeing people get into trouble because someone went on hear say rather than fact. There are a lot more readers here than members that post. Sometimes people get into trouble for readin g hear say rather than the facts. I do applaud you for taking the time and reading the rules .

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

If ACE doesn’t get your stand then someone will eventually get it. Just ask me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdiger View Post
                        If ACE doesn’t get your stand then someone will eventually get it. Just ask me how I know.
                        That's why I will just choose to take it with me...lol. I was hoping this type of people would be honest, but I guess there are always thieves everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Wasn't directed at you Arborist. It was for everybody's education. I just don't like seeing people get into trouble because someone went on hear say rather than fact. There are a lot more readers here than members that post. Sometimes people get into trouble for readin g hear say rather than the facts. I do applaud you for taking the time and reading the rules .

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Thanks for clarifying. There will always be " the ones" who don't listen. I am starting to learn some people must think it is easier to lower their hand on the ground with trash in it, rather than raising their hand to the bed of their truck and getting rid of that trash...lol

Comment

Question or more of a suggestion: Has anyone ever tried to organize some type of cleanup day or something? Maybe just a group of guys going from parking to parking. Or is that a pipe dream?

Comment

Originally posted by Arborist37 View Post
                              That's why I will just choose to take it with me...lol. I was hoping this type of people would be honest, but I guess there are always thieves everywhere.
                              There are lots of great people on here. The locals are usually the ones you have to worry about. Some of them fill that it’s there land.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdiger View Post
                                There are lots of great people on here. The locals are usually the ones you have to worry about. Some of them fill that it’s there land.
                                Oh yea. I haven't been hunting here long enough to really run into locals or anybody for that matter...lol. I've talked to I think only 2 guys since I been going so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X