I'm considering becoming a Vegetarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm considering becoming a Vegetarian

I'm thinking about getting into traditional archery but not sure where to go for help. Is there a pro shop in Houston that specializes in Trad? What would you guys recommend for an intermediate recurve bow? Im 6'2" and have a 29" DL. Currently shooting 74# compound. I was thinking a 62" bow that is 45-48# at 28" draw. Probably just shoot it in the backyard and hunt with a compound for another couple years. I love archery and shooting. If I got brave enough and good enough one day I would consider hunting with it.

Any tips are info would help, thanks!

-Matt

You're in the right spot. There are some stickies at the top of this section. Read them and it will answer some of the basic questions. There are lots of folks here who can help you. And will graciously. Unfortunately I'm new enough to trad I won't be much help.

Comment

That's good weight to start with as you work on your form and getting arrows tuned. You can always bump up later. Start with too much weight and you may end up over-bowed discouraged. I recommend the Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook by TJ Conrads.

Comment

Buy a Samick Sage older takedown in 35-40 and upgrade if you need to later. My Samick will shoot as good as any custom I’ve owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
          Buy a Samick Sage older takedown in 35-40 and upgrade if you need to later. My Samick will shoot as good as any custom I’ve owned

Do you shoot off of the shelf or off a rest?

Comment

Shelf

Comment

Let us know how that works out for you...

Comment

It won’t take a couple of years before you’re hooked! Go to tbot. Org and come to a 3D shoot near you. Lots of good people will help you on your journey.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                  It won’t take a couple of years before you’re hooked! Go to tbot. Org and come to a 3D shoot near you. Lots of good people will help you on your journey.
                  what he said

Comment

By the way you just got a reply from one heck of a shot. Roger had great success on a national level last year and he’s one of the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ag111 View Post
                      I'm thinking about getting into traditional archery but not sure where to go for help. Is there a pro shop in Houston that specializes in Trad? What would you guys recommend for an intermediate recurve bow? Im 6'2" and have a 29" DL. Currently shooting 74# compound. I was thinking a 62" bow that is 45-48# at 28" draw. Probably just shoot it in the backyard and hunt with a compound for another couple years. I love archery and shooting. If I got brave enough and good enough one day I would consider hunting with it.

Any tips are info would help, thanks!

-Matt
                      Matt,
                      It is much easier to get your form down using a light bow. I'd say not more than 35# to start, even though you are a sizeable fellow. That way there is no way you will be overbowed and can concentrate on hold and release. Form is everything in traditional archery, and bad form is hard to break if you overbow.

The next thing is getting the right arrows for you and your bow. I'd recommend Easton aluminum 2016's with 125 grain tips for all bows from 35# to 50#. They are the straightest and most consistent weight of all arrow shafts, plus they are cheaper than carbon. If those don't fly straight, you can always play with the tip weight by getting a test pack o' points from 3RiversArchery.com. I shoot them out of all my bows - 35# to 47#.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. When you get it right, you can't be the satisfaction.

Todd

Comment

I have been shooting trad since the 80's. Starting too heavy is the biggest mistake I see with new trad shooters. 45-48 might sound light after the 74 you have been shooting, but it can cause issues with form with no let-off. Also sometimes you lose a little draw length going from compound to trad, mainly because you aren't using a mechanical release and you anchor differently. I said sometimes, not always, before people jump all over me .

One thing I really like about ILF setups is you can use the same riser and any limb you want. So if you start at 35 or 40# and after 6-12 months want to move up in weight, just buy some heavier limbs (any limb brand, longbow or recurve work, that's the beauty of ILF) in the same length and you keep a lot of familiarity. You get to keep the same riser, same bow length, etc. You can get wood ILF risers if you aren't a fan of metal.

Otherwise the Samick suggestion is a good one. They make good shooting bows. They can be found used for low prices if you want to get in on the cheap.

Decide on an aiming method and stick with it to give it an honest chance. Don't feel like you have to shoot instinctive because it sounds more traditional to you. If you shoot that way and it works awesome (I do). If you are struggling and getting frustrated don't be afraid to try gap, string walking, fixed crawl, etc. What is important is making consistent good shots. We owe that to the game we pursue.

If you were closer to DFW I would tell you to come over and shoot. I keep 35 and 40# bows on the rack almost always for others to shoot.

Good luck and have fun!

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                          I have been shooting trad since the 80's. Starting too heavy is the biggest mistake I see with new trad shooters. 45-48 might sound light after the 74 you have been shooting, but it can cause issues with form with no let-off. Also sometimes you lose a little draw length going from compound to trad, mainly because you aren't using a mechanical release and you anchor differently. I said sometimes, not always, before people jump all over me .

One thing I really like about ILF setups is you can use the same riser and any limb you want. So if you start at 35 or 40# and after 6-12 months want to move up in weight, just buy some heavier limbs (any limb brand, longbow or recurve work, that's the beauty of ILF) in the same length and you keep a lot of familiarity. You get to keep the same riser, same bow length, etc. You can get wood ILF risers if you aren't a fan of metal.

Otherwise the Samick suggestion is a good one. They make good shooting bows. They can be found used for low prices if you want to get in on the cheap.

Decide on an aiming method and stick with it to give it an honest chance. Don't feel like you have to shoot instinctive because it sounds more traditional to you. If you shoot that way and it works awesome (I do). If you are struggling and getting frustrated don't be afraid to try gap, string walking, fixed crawl, etc. What is important is making consistent good shots. We owe that to the game we pursue.

If you were closer to DFW I would tell you to come over and shoot. I keep 35 and 40# bows on the rack almost always for others to shoot.

Good luck and have fun!

-Mike
                          Sage advice, right there. I like the advantages of ILF bows also.

Todd

Comment

Vegetarian??????

I killed 6 deer with my trad bows this past season. I eat meat nearly every day of my life, and more times than not, it is something that I took with a trad bow. You are on the right track with your thoughts. I would get something inexpensive, in a light draw weight (no more than 45#, but 40# might be better) to start with. After you have learned to shoot with good form, then you can move up in weight if you want to.

Good luck in your new journey, and welcome to the fun side.

Boisch
                            Last edited by Bisch; 02-04-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

To each his own but if it were me I would start with a 50# recurve 62"long. As big as you are, you'll not have a problem with handling it and it will handle most any animal you go after with it.
                              You WILL want to hunt with it

Comment

Working...
                              X