Any market for coon hides this winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any market for coon hides this winter?

Years ago as a high schooler in SE Missouri, I made pocket money running a trap line, caught lots of coons/possums/an occasional fox. At our lease in Haskell County, we are getting more and more pictures of fat healthy(from eating all our deer corn) coons on the gamecam...and I was wondering if later this winter when the fur gets full, if there is any market for coonskins? The latest batch of pics on the SD card my buddy brought back from the weekend has as many as 6 coons in some of the pics.

Either way, they are going to get thinned out, just wondering if it would be worth waiting for it to get cold and trapping/killing them cleanly/skinning them for the hides? Or, should I just go ahead and start the eradication?

Any fur traders around Haskell?

Thanks,

Dave

I think last year when the economy was good. An unskinned coon was selling for around 6 bucks. That was what a friend of mine told me. A guy in Jermyn, Tx. was buying them.

Comment

Back in the day dad would trap in the winter. Fur prices dropped and he has not trapped in years. Check with the local feed stores, that is where the buyer would come when dad trapped, don't know if they still do or not, they do not in my area

Comment

I always heard....

that furs trapped in Texas didn't go for premium prices because the animals didn't grow the kind of coat that northern animals do. It just doesn't get cold enough over most of the state to grow really prime furs.

Comment

Better make sure you have a trapper's license before you go off trying to sell them suckers though.

Comment

The market really took a hit last year. Not sure if the country buyers will give you enough $$ to make it worth your time. If you "put up" your fur (flesh and dry on stretchers) then you'll get a higher price.

I'm personally not marketing any coon fur this year. Just not worth my time. I'll put up cats and grays, but that's it. Oh how I wish for the days back in the mid 80's when I could get $25-$30 for a medium Texas coon sold "green". (Just skinned off the carcass, no fleshing or drying). That was good money for a 13 year-old kid!!!

Let us know how it goes!

predatorsniper

Comment

I made a killing back in the early 80's but now cats and fox are the only money worth messing with.

Comment

Fur prices around here are still pretty good. Last year a nice winter bobcat went for almost $80 and a good winter coyote still goes for around $40 - 60 depending on size and how big the hole is. That's green hides too. Coon skins around here go for about $25 - 30 if they're stretched.

Comment

Where and who will buy a few, I have several I would like to sale. Coyotes and fox as well.

Comment

During the 80's in N.C. Oklahoma. To the best of my memory.
                    opposum $2-$5
                    shunk $2-$5
                    Coons were $1.00 per inch skinned from nose to butt.
                    Badger, I only caught one and got $35 for him.
                    Most bobcats were $100.
                    Coyotes around $50.
                    Beaver around $30.
                    Mink, I only caught one and got $36 for him.
                    muskrat around $10.
                    Never caught a fox.
                    Last edited by oktx; 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Due to the poor economy, fur prices are horrible right now

Randy at R&P Outdoors in Mansfield, LA buys ALOT of fur

most all the fur is sent to China, Russia, and Europe

The Russian and Chinese economy is worse than ours right now as no one is buying fur items

here are R&P buying prices from 2008 (southern furs)

bobcat : $15 - green , $20 - stretched

coon : $3 - green , $5 - stretched

red fox : $10 - green , $15 - stretched

grey fox : $10 - green , $15 - stretched

northern furs are usually sent to NAFA in Canada for auction.

Some of the fur sent to Canada last year was sent back to their owners because the Russians are not showing up at the auction to buy

Comment

i dont know

Comment

Coons used to bring quite a bit, as mentioned $20 and over $30 for big ones. Some buyers were paying a minimum of $20 and coons were hard to find and trap. Now there isn't a market for furs, coons have a population explosion. They are probably hard on quail nest also.

I wish there was a market, that would keep them off everyone's feeders and maybe give the quail a chance.

I haven't heard of any buyers.

Comment

I think green coon hides are going for $4 - $5 right now. Not hardly worth it, but I'm doing it just to thin the little corn thieves out.

Comment

We shot a few after the season last year (2009-2010) and have shot 4 or 5 so far this year(2010-)

I shot one this past weekend, and a buddy shot another from a different blind. Going to the lease again in early Feb for a trapping/spotlighting trip to thin them out some more, still seeing several on cam at two feeders.

Comment

Working...
                              X