Brine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine question

I have never used a brine on any meat before. Does it really make a difference? Do you use it on all meats?

The one time I did it made the meat too salty so I’ve never done it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes. Makes a huge difference. Make sure its not too concentrated. Rinse and pat dry twice after to remove excess salt. I brine all pork/chicken. Also, I typically wont brine more than a few hours.

Learn how to brine meat to lock in moisturize and bring out the flavor of chicken, pork, and more from the experts in cooking and food at D'Artagnan.

Comment

When I brine chicken or pork (almost always), I make sure the "concentration" of the brine matches the length of the brine. If I'm brining for 3-5 hours, 1/2 cup of salt. Overnight brines get 1/4 cup. Equal part sugar. Dissolve both in a gallon of water (steep), add herbs and seasonings... good stuff.

Comment

I use a 1/2 cup of kosher salt and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar per 1 gallon of water. Throw in some rosemary sprigs, a few smashed garlic cloves and some whole peppercorns. I do chickens for about 8-10 hrs, and turkeys for around 24. I also add fresh thyme and sage for oven roasted turkey. Rinse well and pat dry. never had a problem being too salty.

Comment

I've had mixed results with it.

Comment

I do it all the time with whole chickens. Makes a big difference..I usually put around 1/2 to 3/4 cup and let sit overnight in fridge.
              Rinse off pat dry and I usually don’t salt or salt very lightly when cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With all day brines a small amount of salt and sugar works, 1/8 cup each for 4 breast or 6 thighs, same for pork. It does keep meat moist and helps other spice to flavor meat. Molasses is good with chicken gives it a nice color and taste, use half as much sugar and replace with a slightly larger amount of molasses.

Comment

I do wild pork rear quarters all the time, but mine is more of a curing brine to turn them into hams. I have never had any complaints that too salty etc and in the rare occasion there are leftovers they never last too long. Here is a link to the recipe if interested

Comment

I use a brine on most of the chicken I either grill or smoke. It makes a world of difference. I use a combination of salt and either regular sugar or brown sugar, sometimes I'll throw in onion and lemons (they make a slight difference) I'll even occasionally put in a little crab boil liquid (that does make a difference). Key to avoiding too much salty flavor is to not brine it too long, rinse the meat after brining and not using any more salt when you season.

Comment

Smoked turkey always gets brined here.

Comment

Huge difference

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          The one time I did it made the meat too salty so I’ve never done it again.

did you rinse it afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by rafa View Post
                            did you rinse it afterwards?

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Smoked turkey always gets brined here.
                              X2

Comment