Question about hearing aids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Winman View Post
    Be sure and get the type that has remote controllable volume. That way you can adjust the volume to maintain your status as an attentive husband. ( turn it down or off)
    Mine use my smart phone to adjust volume and the different sound programs stored in them, but I don't have to worry about my status as an attentive husband. Never married and nowhere remotely close to being.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
      Mine use my smart phone to adjust volume and the different sound programs stored in them, but I don't have to worry about my status as an attentive husband. Never married and nowhere remotely close to being.
      I'm in the same boat. And since there is no one else here that I have to listen to, I forget to put mine in all the time, till I get to where I'm going. Then I remember I left them at home.

I do remember to put them in my hunting pack most of the time. It's just plain awesome to hear stuff again.

Comment

Horn Chaser, did you get to hear any turkeys gobble this year? Seems like I need to look into some hearing aids. I went turkey hunting with two differert guys this year and both heard many gobbles that I couldn't hear. One wore hearing aids and he said it made a big difference for him. By the time I heard the turkeys gobble, you better be ready to shoot because he wasn't far away. I've got a good archery elk hunt planned for September and I don't want to miss hearing any bugles. Guess I had better get started

Comment

Question about hearing aids

My hearing is so bad, I can’t hear the turkeys gobble with my hearing aids in. I am on my 3rd pair, and it was $7200!!![emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I hate them because a lot of things don’t sound “right “. It’s not the hearing aids, it’s how bad my hearing is that is the problem! Anyway, I’m so bad that I can’t hardly function in a situation where I have to talk to other people without them, so I just deal with it!

And, even though I can’t hear the turkeys until they are right on top of me, and can’t run and gun after them anymore, I can still get it done by being patient and still.

This was last week:

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I paid 6000 for mine. They are good and I can hear, but if my wife hadn't insisted I likely wouldn't have gotten them. They fit behind my ear and have a computer inside that adjust for loud roaring noises like machines or bathroom vents. After a few seconds the fans get quieter. Kind of neat. Had mine programmed so I can adjust the volume. My wife gets to talking too much, i just turn her off.. LOL When I hunt I turn them up full volume. I can hear deer crunching corn now and turkeys off in the distance.

Comment

Get them and wear them for a couple of months before telling the family. You may need to change your will a few times!

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                Horn Chaser, did you get to hear any turkeys gobble this year? Seems like I need to look into some hearing aids. I went turkey hunting with two differert guys this year and both heard many gobbles that I couldn't hear. One wore hearing aids and he said it made a big difference for him. By the time I heard the turkeys gobble, you better be ready to shoot because he wasn't far away. I've got a good archery elk hunt planned for September and I don't want to miss hearing any bugles. Guess I had better get started
                I never got the opportunity to go turkey hunting this year. With it being a short season in my part of Oklahoma and my time off spent building a longbow for a gentleman that's almost finished now I never went out for a hunt. I am going to do some scouting in public lands in Oklahoma that have the longer season. I did get out and get to hear nature on some hikes at Hagerman. It is amazing all the different birds and other sounds I am hearing now that I never heard before. The one complaint I have is some background sounds, especially at work, can just be really loud and drown out everything else at times for me. I know I can hear those turkeys at a distance now and am looking forward to the next spring turkey hunt to get out there after them.

Good luck on the elk hunt. I am working on loosing some weight now so I can get back up in those mountains. I have a very long ways to go there. I did get to hear a bull elk bugle one time on a hunt, but with my hearing and no hearing aids at the time I couldn't tell you where he was or how far away he was. Still a cool experience then. I do wish I could have heard the cow elk I stalked to within 20 yds during a muley hunt. Hope you have a great hunt and get a big one.

Originally posted by trailboss View Post
                Get them and wear them for a couple of months before telling the family. You may need to change your will a few times!
                I wish I had thought of this before I got my new ears . Since my dad has worse hearing than me he talks loud anyways and my mom has dementia now so I am not to worried about changing my will as I have no other immediate family to leave anything I have to anyways. Now my cousins on the other hand it would be fun to get them with the new ears.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and opinions it is very much appreciated. Also to anyone thinking about getting hearing aids definitely do it. From the benefits I have gotten from it I wished I had got them many years ago.

Bisch congrats on a nice bird!!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  How do they affect tinidous? Worse than not being able to hear what I want to is the constant ringing that is always there.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                  I'm having the same problem. In for any answers.

Comment

My hearing aids help my tititis a bit, but it don't make it go away... In fact I'd say when I take mine out, it seems worse. Sometimes my ears are ringing so loud it seems that folks next to me should be able to hear it! I try not to dwell on it as when I do (like responding to this thread makes me aware of it), it wears on me pretty good! If ever there was a cure for this stuff, I'd be in that line and I'd pay whatever it cost!!

Comment

I am the same as SaltwaterSlick. It doesn't knock it out completely but it knocks it down enough that I am not noticing it much with the hearing aids in my ears. It also seems louder when I take them out and at the same time I realize how much hearing I have lost as the sounds just disappears when I remove them.

Comment

After Shooting for many years without..protection...Then 3y on Flight deck with Jets..35y in chemical plants...I got hearing aids maybe 20y ago both ears and they were great tell summer and sweating (they just squeal..) took em back too many times finally gave up throwed them in box..that wasa wasted 5k...I read in above comments that you can get them FREE through VA..what ya gota do /where

maybe new tec are better no SQUEEL and won't be out of my pocket

I gave them 4y of my life..and all i ever recieved was a Honorable Discharge...

not complaining I would do it all again..
                        Last edited by cva34; 05-17-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                          After Shooting for many years without..protection...Then 3y on Flight deck with Jets..35y in chemical plants...I got hearing aids maybe 20y ago both ears and they were great tell summer and sweating (they just squeal..) took em back too many times finally gave up throwed them in box..that wasa wasted 5k...I read in above comments that you can get them FREE through VA..what ya gota do /where

maybe new tec are better no SQUEEL and won't be out of my pocket

I gave them 4y of my life..and all i ever recieved was a Honorable Discharge...

not complaining I would do it all again..
                          First of all, thank you sir for your service to our country and our peace!
                          Second, yes, technology has come a long way! You owe it to yourself to give 'em another go... I wear mine all day every day, no matter what I'm doing. I hear "OK" without them, but I hear so much better with them. The new generation devices are tuned to your particular hearing profile and in the case of the ones I have, they don't have any human interface functions on the devices. You simply put a battery in the little battery door and close it. That's it. I can change some of the settings with my smart phone, but they work perfectly without changing anything for most of what I need to do. There's no knobs, buttons or anything to adjust. They do NOT squeal at all. And YES, you can get them through the VA. I took my dad to the VA years ago and helped him fill out the paperwork, set up an appointment with their audiology department and after testing and such, they fitted him with his hearing aids... made a world of difference for him... put him back to squirrel hunting cause he could hear 'em bark and squeal...

Comment

I got mine from Wihear, $99 and they are just fine. I can hear a lot of things now that were lost to me.

Comment

I've heard a couple people mention sweating and their hearing aids. I'm pretty active and do some pretty serious sweating. What are the issues with that? Take em out when you are going to be sweating? Does it damage them?

Comment

I got my first pair in September of last year. I started testing them in July and tested three different types before settling with Oticon OPN aides. Love em! Better hearing and hardly noticeable. I should have done it years before.

For those considering it, do ask to test a pair for a few weeks. Try several and pick the one you like the best and not just the one the hearing place is pushing.

Comment

Working...
                                X