That trap looks cheaply made imo

Comment

Doesn’t look very sturdy

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
        That trap looks cheaply made imo
        Originally posted by ReneC. View Post
        Doesn’t look very sturdy
        I’ll be reinforcing the sides and back with T posts. Not looking for the end all, be all of traps, just looking to get my feet wet with something that’s portable way out in the sticks where it’s hard to get to.

Any tips?
        Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-02-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

That will catch them but it will catch deer too. That makes the corral trap better because deer can jump out. I let my neighbor put a similar trap on my place and he caught three axis in it. His has a trigger panel that has to be stepped on; mine has a string catch. I think the deer reach over the string without tripping it as I've seen deer in it on game cams but never had one trip the string. His trap also has a side panel that can be dropped to retrieve the dead hogs. That is much easier than crawling inside to pull a big hog out through the door. So, If you use this style, a side panel that can be dropped is good and in my experience the string trigger is better. I've also been told that you can brush in the top of the door to keep the deer out. Hogs will push through the brush but deer wont. Can't say for sure cause I haven't tried that. I've caught multiple hogs in that style trap several times; 5 is the most but 3-4 is not uncommon. I've also tried all kinds of bait and plain corn seems to be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
            That will catch them but it will catch deer too. That makes the corral trap better because deer can jump out. I let my neighbor put a similar trap on my place and he caught three axis in it. His has a trigger panel that has to be stepped on; mine has a string catch. I think the deer reach over the string without tripping it as I've seen deer in it on game cams but never had one trip the string. His trap also has a side panel that can be dropped to retrieve the dead hogs. That is much easier than crawling inside to pull a big hog out through the door. So, If you use this style, a side panel that can be dropped is good and in my experience the string trigger is better. I've also been told that you can brush in the top of the door to keep the deer out. Hogs will push through the brush but deer wont. Can't say for sure cause I haven't tried that. I've caught multiple hogs in that style trap several times; 5 is the most but 3-4 is not uncommon. I've also tried all kinds of bait and plain corn seems to be the best.
            Thanks for the advice. I’m looking at ways to make sure deer don’t get in.

After getting the trap, this one has a string catch it the back.

Comment

I went with a door from ASF and built a large enclosure with welded-wire panels and t-posts. I've had little luck with the smaller box traps.

I like to catch 3-6 @ a time as opposed to 1. And they seem more willing to go into larger enclosures.

I use a halyard snap for my trigger/trip wire. Works great. You don't need a big one, $10 one from Amazon will do the trick.

Comment

I ended up getting this trap today, it was priced very well and close to home. I’m happy with it, we will see what the pigs think. I’ve learned a lot of my hunting experiences are trial and error. I’ve dabbled in trapping so far, caught lots of coons throughout the years and a beaver last year, but this is my first go at pigs. I believe trapping pigs, too, will be lots of trial and error.

I’ll be reinforcing the sides and back with t posts/u bolts and have purchased a new spring that had more “oomph” in it.

If they don’t like this box, I’ll move on to bigger and better.

I appreciate the input thus far.
                Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-02-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                  I ended up getting this trap today, it was priced very well and close to home. I’m happy with it, we will see what the pigs think. I’ve learned a lot of my hunting experiences are trial and error. I’ve dabbled in trapping so far, caught lots of coons throughout the years and a beaver last year, but this is my first go at pigs. I believe trapping pigs, too, will be lots of trial and error.

I’ll be reinforcing the sides and back with t posts/u bolts and have purchased a new spring that had more “oomph” in it.

If they don’t like this box, I’ll move on to bigger and better.

I appreciate the input thus far.
                  Will you post a pic with the door closed?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. I’m looking at ways to make sure deer don’t get in.

After getting the trap, this one has a string catch it the back.
                    Sour the corn for a few days in water and you won’t have to worry about deer. Might take a week with how cold it is now.

Comment

I fill a 5 gallon bucket and pour diesel on it. The hogs love it and it keeps a lot of the other corn eating critter out. Also, run a sting of barbwire across the front. It will help keep the deer out. I did that because I kept catching calves but I have never had a deer in the trap. Also cover the floor of the trap with dirt. I usually try to use the dirt that they rooted around in. I also try to cover the bar at the front of the door under dirt.

Here is one of my sets and it's a lot like your trap.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have a bucket feeder hanging above my trap. It throws every night. When I’m not there, i latch the door open so the pigs can go in and out to eat the corn. When I’m there, I unlatch the door and set the trap. I bait it with only corn, because that’s what they are used to. I usually will catch them in the first night or two. In my experience with other baits/attractants the hogs won’t come in for several days if at all, I’m guessing because it’s a smell that they aren’t used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          I would go with a couple of figure 6 traps over that style. Not as mobile but you can catch more at once with them.
                          This,,,
                          made out of T-Post and cattle panel, tie it open and let them get used to it , then let the it close, they push there way in but cant get out....
                          it worked for us..

Comment

Originally posted by Ynotdrum View Post
                            I've learned not to kill them inside the cage. For some reason it makes the cage useless for a month or so. Maybe smell/gland they release? Plus the fun part is having a few hunters ready about 50 or so yards out at different locations. (No cross firing) and then one guy (that's the fun part) has to open cage and the pigs run and its on. Lol

We do this sometimes, Its a lot of fun.

Comment

Have the hogs going in the cage within 24 hours of baiting it. Went out yesterday to bait it one more time and will set it on Wednesday.

My question: will hunting them over the trap mess up the trapping? I’ve got 10+ pigs coming to the site all at once and would love to be there waiting with an AR.

Comment

Take the floor out!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X