Duck Hunting shotgun opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
    If you want to keep about half that coin in your pocket, the Beretta A300 Outlander is a great option. I've been very impressed with mine over the past 3 years. It's a gas operated gun, so the recoil seems a bit less abrupt than recoil (or inertia) driven options like Benelli, Franchi, and the Browning A5. It's very reliable. I recently competed in three sporting clays tournaments (100+ rounds each) with typical dirty range ammo and no cleaning between matches. It performed flawlessly through all three matches. It's synthetic, rugged, simple, and has some features that you typically don't find at that price point. Most notably, it comes with shim kits to adjust cast and length of pull. Once I adjusted it and found the sweet spot, my hit percentage took a pretty good jump. The only potential downside is that it's a 3" gun. If you want a 3.5" gun, Beretta makes the A350 Xtrema, which costs a bit more (but still less than many other options). I know others will have differing opinions, but I have never found a situation where I needed 3.5" shells, even when I hunted with a 3.5" gun. From doves to geese and turkeys, I've been pretty successful with 3" shells. If you're ever in DFW, I'd be happy to meet you at the range and let yourun my A300 through its paces.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-camo-max5/
    Very generous offer! I didnt list that gun, but I had been looking at it. If I was near you, I would certainly take you up on the offer!

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
      If you want to keep about half that coin in your pocket, the Beretta A300 Outlander is a great option. I've been very impressed with mine over the past 3 years. It's a gas operated gun, so the recoil seems a bit less abrupt than recoil (or inertia) driven options like Benelli, Franchi, and the Browning A5. It's very reliable. I recently competed in three sporting clays tournaments (100+ rounds each) with typical dirty range ammo and no cleaning between matches. It performed flawlessly through all three matches. It's synthetic, rugged, simple, and has some features that you typically don't find at that price point. Most notably, it comes with shim kits to adjust cast and length of pull. Once I adjusted it and found the sweet spot, my hit percentage took a pretty good jump. The only potential downside is that it's a 3" gun. If you want a 3.5" gun, Beretta makes the A350 Xtrema, which costs a bit more (but still less than many other options). I know others will have differing opinions, but I have never found a situation where I needed 3.5" shells, even when I hunted with a 3.5" gun. From doves to geese and turkeys, I've been pretty successful with 3" shells. If you're ever in DFW, I'd be happy to meet you at the range and let yourun my A300 through its paces.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-camo-max5/
      Saved me from typing. The A350 Extrema is what I’ve moved to.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
        All you need to know.

dumb inertia operated guns
        There is a reason all the duck guides, outfitters, TV stars, and serious waterfowlers shoot inertia guns, just sayin! The inertia guns utilize simple mechanics and mechanisms that work. OP go shoot a few of both types and see what you like better. Some guys complain inertia guns kick like mules. Never been an issue for me and anyone I know.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
          There is a reason all the duck guides, outfitters, TV stars, and serious waterfowlers shoot inertia guns, just sayin! The inertia guns utilize simple mechanics and mechanisms that work. OP go shoot a few of both types and see what you like better. Some guys complain inertia guns kick like mules. Never been an issue for me and anyone I know.
          Because of marketing hype and coolness? I've seen first hand a LOT more failures from inertia guns than I have from gas guns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Completely disagree.

But first decide between gas or inertia for step 1. Then go from there. Do you want the gun to kick more or less? If the answer is less start looking at gas guns.

Comment

I own an SBE and a couple of gas Berettas.
              Most of the time the SBE stays in the safe and a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard or a 391 Urika gets the nod when it's time to cut feathers.

Look around, find a clean used 390.
              Your grandkids will be glad you did.

Comment

Forget all the inertia vs gas and get the Browning Cynergy for sale on here. Thing looks wicked.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=Cynergy

Comment

I love my Benelli Super Vinci. It's been a great shotgun. I just bought my son a Browning Maxus. It's a soft shooter and has been reliable so far.

Comment

All you need to know.

If you really want one of those dumb inertia operated guns, save some money and get a Franchi.
                    I've had buddies go to South America on dove hunts where the guides provide those dumb inertia operated guns that have probably run tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, and they are still shootin.

Dumb inertia guns, that's a new one for me.

Comment

Forget all the inertia vs gas and get the Browning Cynergy for sale on here. Thing looks wicked.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=Cynergy
                      Yes I agree with this post

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                        I've had buddies go to South America on dove hunts where the guides provide those dumb inertia operated guns that have probably run tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, and they are still shootin.

Dumb inertia guns, that's a new one for me.
                        Really? What dumb inertia guns were they handing out to shoot?

Comment

I really like my Beretta A300 I've used it for a couple seasons and had no issues at all with it. However I also have a Winchester Super X2 that I like to use for turkey hunting and duck sometimes. It's been an awesome gun and I have not had a single issue with it and rarely clean it. I think the newer model is a bit lighter and I'm sure it would perform very similar.

Comment

I love my SBE 2. Last year in Kansas I tripped crossing under a fence through a tank. Gun was in my hands and what I put in the water to stop me from falling. Got back to the blind as another group of birds came in and emptied all 3 in it with water still coming out of the action. Has not missed a beat since.

Comment

Really? What dumb inertia guns were they handing out to shoot?

20ga Benellis.

Comment

Good for them. One of the few I've heard of that don't shoot Berettas down there.

Comment

Working...
                                X