changing general contractors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing general contractors?

From a permitting standpoint, how difficult is it to change general contractors?

We are near the end of a residential remodel (kitchen and bath) and can't make it through to the end with our current general. I'll spare the details but will say it's best for both parties if we go our separate ways. I believe the only two subs that required permits are plumbing and electric. I feel like each of those subs would be willing to finish the small amounts they have left.

Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't matter. Your trades, the plumber and electrician are the ones with licenses that pull the permits. Your biggest issue will be the contract you signed with the general and getting him to sign a lien release and making sure everyone who worked on your house for him signs a lien release as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep lien releases for all.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
        Shouldn't matter. Your trades, the plumber and electrician are the ones with licenses that pull the permits. Your biggest issue will be the contract you signed with the general and getting him to sign a lien release and making sure everyone who worked on your house for him signs a lien release as well.

Pretty sure he’s as tired of me as I am of him so I think he’ll be relieved to get rid of me. I’m confused on the lien comments though. I’m not aware of any liens filed. Does that just apply if we have a construction loan?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post

Pretty sure he’s as tired of me as I am of him so I think he’ll be relieved to get rid of me. I’m confused on the lien comments though. I’m not aware of any liens filed. Does that just apply if we have a construction loan?

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
            No. Anyone that has performed work on your property has lien rights on that property for non-payment in the event that your GC didn't pay them. They must follow very strict timelines for notices and actual filing of the lien, but you do need to get releases from all the subs as well as the GC.

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
              No sir. It's a good CYA practice anytime you get a contractor or trades to do work more than $2,000 on your house. It says they got paid and they paid everyone else. You get that as a receipt in case they don't pay their guys and the workers decide to hold you accountable and file on your property.

Comment

Ok thanks, gotcha.

I don’t think that will be a problem. He’s not a bad guy by any means and I feel certain he is square with his subs. Biggest problems have been timeline and failure to maintain a steady workflow. No complaints on quality of work or fairness so things could be much worse for sure.

Comment

I hear ya. We are building a house and workflow has been an issue for us as well. Our area is busy and the weather has been bad. Result= 3 months behind schedule. Our electrician is about to walk the plank... He's very good but he's too busy and we're too far behind.

Comment

Dang contractors. Lol If his quality of work is good, you might want to let him finish. Contractors/subcontractors are usually good at their trades but chitty business men. If they are good at both, they charge up the *****. The next guy will charge extra to "clean things up". Good workers are hard to find these days, and along with the weather, schedules get compromised. Just a thought...

Comment

The only way that dude is gonna be happy to be fired is if he has overbilled the **** out of you. My opinion is that if he is doing quality work, have patience.

Comment

If it's timeline everybody is stretched, be glad he has subs that do show up. I'm kinda with others, a change at this point
                        Will likely take longer and be more expensive, couple that with you're being satisfied with the work. I would tell him to just get it done as soon as he can and back away, guarantee he's as frustrated, if not more, than you are.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

The timeline issue isn’t that everyone is so busy and stretched thin, it’s him failing to stay on top of things and have the subs lined up in advance. He waits until he is ready for them and then calls them, and then tells me it will be two weeks or whatever until they can come. He made his living as a particular type of trade and has gotten into the GC work in the last couple years. He could handle his own trade but can’t seem to stay on top of things to keep the job moving. He pretty well didn’t do anything from July until November, despite telling me in August that we would be done by Halloween. (He started in April and told us the job should take 3 months.) We set a December 15 deadline on 11/1 and now that’s come and gone and he still has at least a month left at his pace. We have a contract on our old home and need to be moved into this house by the end of January and I really don’t think he can get us there. I’m constantly blown away at how little is accomplished in a given day/week/month.

Comment

I like this thread. It took them 9 months to build our home. My wife fired the sub painter. The GC brought in another one to clean up the mess and finish the job. In my area the RGV, Welfare is the problem. No one wants to work. The best painter came to work 2 1/2 days left early on Friday, 6 kids at home and the expecting a baby receiving $1100 of help. Shoot I wouldn't work either. Oh and the house still needs little odds and ends to be finished.

Comment

What metro area are you close to?

Comment

Working...
                              X