Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faith

This can hopefully be answered by some of the more seasoned guys here and the few pastors that post as well.

In times like these, reading about poor little Lily, how do we keep the faith?

Last year, I asked for prayers for my marriage and it officially died on January 4, 2019 along with my intact little family and changed the course of life for my two little boys with a simple signature. I know many of you prayed and I continue to pray to this day and plant those prayers on my bed and water it with a tear many times even to this day.

Many of us prayed for Lily, and yes, she is in a much better place. But how do we keep the faith when we pray and our cups overflow with prayers only to not be answered? I feel like it is a mindset that we have to get past when things don't go our way, that we continue to have faith even when all hell breaks loose.

I realize it's in HIS time, but is it selfish of me to sway or feel this way? I can't see how any of the two examples above are for the best.

I'm not going to stop praying, but sometimes it feels like it's just...I don't know...I'm speechless.

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
    This can hopefully be answered by some of the more seasoned guys here and the few pastors that post as well.

In times like these, reading about poor little Lily, how do we keep the faith?

Last year, I asked for prayers for my marriage and it officially died on January 4, 2019 along with my intact little family and changed the course of life for my two little boys with a simple signature. I know many of you prayed and I continue to pray to this day and plant those prayers on my bed and water it with a tear many times even to this day.

Many of us prayed for Lily, and yes, she is in a much better place. But how do we keep the faith when we pray and our cups overflow with prayers only to not be answered? I feel like it is a mindset that we have to get past when things don't go our way, that we continue to have faith even when all hell breaks loose.

I realize it's in HIS time, but is it selfish of me to sway or feel this way? I can't see how any of the two examples above are for the best.

I'm not going to stop praying, but sometimes it feels like it's just...I don't know...I'm speechless.

Even Jesus cried out to God to let the cup pass from Him. He didn’t want to suffer the crucifixion. He wanted God to move the mountain. But God had another plan. So I don’t beat myself up for questioning God from time to time but I can’t stay in that place. I have to do like Jesus did and understand that the answer was no and go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
      Even Jesus cried out to God to let the cup pass from Him. He didn’t want to suffer the crucifixion. He wanted God to move the mountain. But God had another plan. So I don’t beat myself up for questioning God from time to time but I can’t stay in that place. I have to do like Jesus did and understand that the answer was no and go on.

Well stated. I do not believe there are ever "unanswered" prayers, only ones that you might not get the answer you want.

Comment

HIS will be done....not mine.

Comment

I came across this article about the same time I read about Lily on here. Definitely worth the read.

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles...or-the-furnace

Comment

1 Peter 5:7-10

7. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 8. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

2 Corinthians 5:7
            7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Comment

The Book of Job is an example of extreme testing of Job’s faith.
              In James it states to consider it pure joy when facing trials & how it develops perseverance. It’s a challenging read

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                1 Peter 5:7-10

7. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 8. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

2 Corinthians 5:7
                7. For we walk by faith, not by sight.
                This is the mindset I mentioned, just bear and grin and keep pushing. It is hard at times but no one said it would be easy

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  The Book of Job is an example of extreme testing of Job’s faith.
                  In James it states to consider it pure joy when facing trials & how it develops perseverance. It’s a challenging read
                  He was rewarded for his faith, I'm not sure I could've been as strong as Job but I do pray for strengthened faith.

Thanks everyone, we all needed a little help and a lot of God...

Comment

OP you're not the only one who has ever felt this way. I'm sure some of Lily's family members are feeling the same way right now. What seems like everything to us at the moment will someday seem small when we meet God and see His plan.
                    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

These are questions that everyone has at some point in their life, especially when faced with extremely difficult circumstances or outcomes that we can't understand. I too prayed for little Lily and hoped for a different outcome. However, I have learned that when I pray for people in a difficult circumstance, to ultimately pray that God's will be done in the matter, even if it doesn't line up with what I want. I prayed for Lily to be healed and for God to receive the glory in it, but I also understood that God's plan might involve something different happening. As humans it's hard for us to understand that God's will might involve pain and suffering, so many will struggle with their faith during those times that the outcome doesn't align with the way we thought or hoped it would go. We often forget that Jesus suffered greatly during his time on this earth, and we as His followers are not exempt unfortunately. Jesus Himself prayed that He wouldn't have to suffer the agony of the cross, but knew it was the Father's will so He prayed that the Father's will would be done instead. Suffering in this life such as sickness and divorce are the unfortunate side effects of living in a fallen world as the result of sin. But God is still sovereign and in absolute control. I too suffered through a divorce many years ago and it was one of the worst times of my life. I was mad at God and could not understand how good could ever come from it. I'm here to tell you that 15+ years later, I can look back and praise God for His sovereign hand that was at work. I couldn't see it at that time but He had a beautiful plan for my life that He was unfolding and He used those circumstances to bring it about. He has a purpose in everything that is allowed to happen and most of the time it is beyond our understanding, at least it is while in the midst of the difficulty. Sometimes, months or years down the road, we are allowed to get a glimpse of how He was working in that situation for a greater good that we couldn't see. If we love Him, we have to trust and obey Him even when everything is falling apart in our eyes and nothing makes sense. Trusting Him in those times is what builds our faith. In our humanity, we aren't equipped to handle the weight of the heartache and pain that this world brings. That's why we have to be totally reliant on Him and rest in Him when nothing makes sense. Trust Him each day. Obey Him each day. Praise Him each day.... And day by day He will unfold his will and purpose for each life until you look back one day and praise Him for His wisdom in accomplishing His will and not ours in each situation we faced.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
                        This is the mindset I mentioned, just bear and grin and keep pushing. It is hard at times but no one said it would be easy
                        1 Peter 1:5-7

5 Through our faith, the mighty power of God constantly guards us until our full salvation is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 May the thought of this cause you to jump for joy, even though lately you’ve had to put up with the grief of many trials. 7 But these only reveal the sterling core of your faith, which is far more valuable than gold that perishes, for even gold is refined by fire. Your authentic faith will result in even more praise, glory, and honor when Jesus the Anointed One is revealed.

It's hard to understand this stuff sometimes. I never get it right when I try to be the one with all the answers.

For when I'm weal he makes me strong.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          I feel we need to be careful using this phrase at times such as the OP is touching.

I say this because my Mom is the only only child left of three...my uncle died of a brain tumor when he was only 10 & my aunt died from breast cancer in her 30's. Many of their very dear friends would quote 'His will' as an attempt to console them?? While I'm sure the intensions were sincere, It was not God's will for Lily or my aunt & uncle to die. He wants us to prosper in every positive aspect of our time here and that includes everything from health to finances to our relationship with Him. My Gramp took these words to heart & held a grudge against God imo for the rest of his life. Called God a cruel sob that it would be His will to take two of his children. I tried to discuss the issue biblically with Gramp, but the damage was too deep.

The Bible says: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

I don't know why some prayers are answered & others aren't. I don't know why good things happen to bad people & bad things happen the most devoted, but I have the satisfaction of knowing when my time comes & I have a lot of questions.

I'm not ragging on you brother with your quote, but felt it was worth discussing further due to it hitting home so very hard & having a lot of time to think about how those words affected Gramp to the very point I still question where his faith was when he died on Christmas Eve at the age of 93.

Again, everything really is about His will, but I do not believe the bad / evil circumstances that we all deal with is anything God wants for our lives...that belongs to the enemy.

Comment

Blackmouth, in times like you describe, our faith is the only thing that can carry us through. While we pray in faith, we realize there are things that we can just not understand. We lost a 4 day old granddaughter a few years ago. Many people were praying for her, but she passed anyway. The docs gave a reasonable idea of what happened, nonetheless, we were devastated. Our son spiraled after this and a year after her death he came to Christ and I believe this is a direct example of God using these unexplainable events to teach us about our need for Him. I am praying for you to have that "peace that passes understanding".

I don't feel you are being selfish at all. You appear to me to be a man that cares deeply for others. " I feel like it is a mindset that we have to get past when things don't go our way, that we continue to have faith even when all hell breaks loose." This sentence you typed tells me a lot about you.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

This. Learning to recognize and accept this can be difficult but learning to embrace it will give one more peace.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X