No announcement yet.

Final Table Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to get a good digital thermometer w/probe. I dont wanna break the bank but dont mind spending what it takes to get a good one. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by eastex56 View Post
      I need to get a good digital thermometer w/probe. I dont wanna break the bank but dont mind spending what it takes to get a good one. Any suggestions?
      I spent like $30 on mine. I don't plan on using it that often so it seemed reasonable to me. There were several more expensive ones.

Comment

Academy has a few choices.

Comment

Putting on a brisket in the morning. Trying this method to see the results

Comment

There's a whole lot of fail in this thread. You don't cook a brisket to 140, 165, or any other such nonsense. Unless you like chewy brisket. This isn't t-bone steak!

The minimum internal temp should be 195, unless you are doing a competition and have to make your slices look good. I prefer fall apart brisket, so I smoke until 200-202. Rest is key, as well.

Comment

Brisket has been rolling for about an hour. Smells **** good so far!

Comment

Originally posted by eastex56 View Post

I had the Maverick ET732 suggested to me because it had a wireless receiver you can carry with you that gives you smoker and meat temps.....as well as time. I paid $59 shipped to my door at Amazon.com. I like it.

If I am smoking by myself on the back porch, I can come in the house during the hottest part of the day and watch the temps while I catch a game or just sit in the recliner/AC. It will also alarm me, should I fall asleep, if my smoker temps drop to a certain level or if my meat gets to the target.

Comment

Get this for $39.95 on Amazon:

Comment

i never do my briskets fat side down nor will i ever put it in a foil pan and Q it like that....i put mine on fat side up and keep the temp between 180-200 and never absolutely never flip them...been doing this almost 20 years and no complaints at all....when my briskets are done i wrap them in foil and place them in a cooler up until the time they need to be sliced and have never had roast like consistensy....got a lot of people started doing briskets it aint that dang hard...also if your brisket is drying out youre using to much heat or your brisket is to close to your fire or fire box...just my 2 cents on the matter

Comment

going to do this tomorrow but adding a little of my own spices. will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Not to change the subject, but how can Fanklin's BBQ in Austin only use salt on his briskets, and consistently get written up as some of the best brisket anywhere? He might use pepper, but nothing more than that.

Comment

a couple of question about the wood chips. With an offest box, do you guys/gals put the chips in a smoker box on the grate above the fire or directly on the coals? Should I soak the chips first?

Comment

Used the rub recipe and smoked a 10lb brisket(fat down) for about 12 hrs @225 this weekend and it turned out great.

Thanks again for the solid directions, everybody loved the finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar View Post
                              a couple of question about the wood chips. With an offest box, do you guys/gals put the chips in a smoker box on the grate above the fire or directly on the coals? Should I soak the chips first?
                              I don't use "chips", I use logs. Oak and mesquite.

Either way, you put it directly on the coals. No need for a grate above the fire unless you're grilling something.

If you soak wood overnight, it will smoke better for sure.

Comment

I may be asking a dumb question here but how do you add more wood to keep the temp for such long cook times if you are not supposed to open the lid? Are we talking about just the lid over the meat or are we talking smoke box as well? I have to cook 2 for my daughters wedding next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X