Hot Fried Doves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Fried Doves

Tried this recipe over the weekend. I had about 16 whole skin-on doves leftover from last year that needed eaten. So I invited some friends over and we cooked them this way.

This is actually a Jessie Griffiths recipe out of his book Afield that I recently bought, and was also featured in Texas Monthly awhile back.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/dove/

Hot Fried Birds (serves 4)
    12 whole doves, plucked and gutted
    1 cup buttermilk
    kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    oil or lard, for frying
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    4 tablespoons honey
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons hot sauce
    4 thinly sliced jalapeƱos
    1/4 cup fresh herb leaves, such as parsley or marjoram

Halve the birds by cutting down one side of the breastbone and through the ribs with a sharp, heavy knife. Repeat on the opposite side, effectively removing the breastbone. Soak the halves in buttermilk for 4 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Remove the birds from the buttermilk, season well with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour. Shake off the excess flour and refrigerate them for at least half an hour.

Heat 4 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a fryer or large pot.

Melt the butter, then combine it with the honey, garlic, and hot sauce in a large bowl.

Fry the birds in batches until golden brown and crisp, 3 or 4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.

Toss the fried birds with the melted-butter mixture, add the jalapeƱos and herbs, and transfer to a plate. Serve immediately.

The only thing I did differently from the recipe, is that I actually sauted the jalapenos and minced garlic in butter and browned them a bit. I think that probably improved the flavor. Once all mixed, it really is the perfect level of spice, not too hot at all. I used chalula for the hot sauce.

A couple notes:

-The recipe in his book says that the wing and leg bones will soften and can be eaten whole. That is the way I ate them, but be careful because it's not that easy to do. I was pretty much the only one that ate the bones, everyone else just picked the meat the best they could.

-The flavor was outstanding! It's really something similar to a jalapeno garlic wing sauce. That's essentially what these ares: hot wings with dove instead of chicken. Everyone agreed that it would've been much easier to eat without the bones. You do get a little bit more meat eating them this way, but it's also more difficult. So maybe next time I will just breast them out. I had never done a recipe with whole dove, and I just wanted to try something unique.

- I had also saved all the hearts and gizzards from those doves too. I fried them up last. They were some quite tasty little morsels!

- Between me and the wife, 2 buddies and their wives and kids, I figured I would not have enough to go around (And I new the kids would be picky), so I also cooked bite size pieces of deer steak (from top round) the cooked them the exact same way as the dove. They were excellent as well, and none were left over. I did end up with about 8 dove halves left that have been my lunch the last 2 days.

That looks amazing

Comment

Looks great! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Dear lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't know you but you are welcome to come cook out at my place anytime!

Comment

For the record, that is Jessie Griffiths picture, not mine. But mine did look exactly like that, just with a messier kitchen.

Comment

Looks dang good and spicy!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

That actually made my mouth water. Dang but I love me some dove.

Richard.

Comment

Oh my gosh that looks incredible.

Comment

Wow that looks awesome.

Comment

that sounds really good. Will have to try this one.

kt

Comment

Dang that looks good, great pic too

Comment

Great recipe, we have used it many times. We have also thrown in chicken wings along with the doves. We also double or triple the sauce recipe and pour the extra over rice we cook to serve with the dove.

Comment

Now I can't wait for September 1st

Comment

Cooking doves with skin on makes a lot of difference. The way we had to do it when kids, Dad made us pick the doves leaving the skin on , he didn't want us to learn to waste meat, so just breasting them wasn't allowed. Hardly no one picks doves now days. The little bit of fat on the back neair the tail makes for delicious eating. Still pick mine to this day. Guess he learned me good! Your recipe sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X