No announcement yet.

Looks Like We Are Losing Our Lease !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP.....if you decide to get off this place, I'll trade ya some contact info on another place.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Buy your own land. Lease it out to a group of dumb hunters to make the payments. Load it up with sheep and goats that the hunters feed for you because you require them to feed year around. Hunt all their feeders and setups during the week when they are not there. Problem solved! Oh, and there's more money in raising goats and sheep than there are cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        How deep is the well? Might not be as bad as you think. Couple grand maybe less.
        Pump went out on my well (230 feet deep) and it cost about $4,500 to pull old and replace (we had a couple of other minor things done, too). The well company has always been good to us, so I know they weren't ripping me off.
        If I'm the landowner, I wouldn't spend that much unless I was using the water for other purposes.

Comment

My lease has electricity, but no water. No problem, I haul a 55 gallon barrel of water out to the lease a few times a year to fill the fresh water tank on the trailer. Now I have hot water and shower. I don't even sweat filling it up. use an electric pump to fill from the back of the truck to the RV. Don't even have the move the 55 gallon drum an inch.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

230 feet I would pull and replace myself.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                No, I'm not testy. Tone isn't conveyed well through text. I'm trying to offer advice from my personal experiences. My frustration is not with hunters here. I have hunted in less than desirable conditions, bathed in cisterns in December, etc. BTW, that's freakin' COLD. My frustration is with landowners that allow their places to fall into disrepair and expect hunters to fix and improve the basics when they're charging top dollar. Those that refuse to invest any money back into their property don't get my dollars anymore. I have made things work, froze my butt off, stayed in cabins that rats were scared of but the lease prices were a lot cheaper. These days, I don't have time to set up a village so, if I'm paying $3K to hunt 120 class deer, I should have access to water and elec. The lease I just got off, the landowner would do NOTHING to improve or repair things. He had half mile stretches of fence lying on the ground. We didn't mind helping but he wouldn't buy the wire or t-posts. I've seen this play out too many times, the OP is headed for misery with this guy or a major price increase.
                We will offer to make repairs or pay for repairs If it's a good place and worth the time and money. Making camp repairs and improvements, cleaning up trash piles (even if not yours,) repairing gates (because old ranchers like to repair them with bailing twine )...taking care of a someone's place goes a long way.

Comment

I think the main point you are missing is you all are already leasing at a discount. If he were leasing at max rates, a hunter may expect some extras. He could lease that for more without electricity or water, and you all are asking for a discount.

However, I would talk to the LO if that is who you made the original deal with. Is there a contract? Was the deal for a certain length of time?
                  Last edited by BrianL; 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Losing your lease???

Your title is wrong. You are not losing your lease; you're giving it up by your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      We will offer to make repairs or pay for repairs If it's a good place and worth the time and money. Making camp repairs and improvements, cleaning up trash piles (even if not yours,) repairing gates (because old ranchers like to repair them with bailing twine )...taking care of a someone's place goes a long way.
                      Agreed. We have always gone above and beyond when it comes to such things. Luckily, we have always had tradesmen of various sorts on our leases and we could accomplish a great deal. The point I was making was, to some landowners, that sort of help doesn't mean squat to them. They aren't appreciative and in the case of our last landowner, we got chewed out for fixing it and not telling her there was a problem. I'd never met the woman nor did I have her contact info but that didn't stop her from chewing on me for 5+ minutes. We had just repaired a water well at no charge and got chewed out. Hmmm.

If you're paying a reduced rate, consider what the inconvenience is worth to you. When you're paying top dollar, accommodations should be made for the hunters. Help when you can, where you can (within reason) and better the place for your group. Though, it is not the place of the hunters to string a half mile of fence, blade roads, replace a water pump that the landowner won't let you protect from the elements.

My whole point was, if the landowner has been good to them now, he is being difficult, something has changed. He may have problems in his life or he may think he can get a lot more money for the place (which he can). If he is being difficult, it is likely not going to improve and will only get worse. I've seen it too many times. Of course, have a conversation with him to air any grievances but know, it may not work in your favor. Probably won't. If money is the ONLY consideration of the landowner, you will always be at odds with him. He needs to care about his place almost as much as you.

Comment

Well we pay $1750 each, 5 hunter, on 500 acres in the hill country. We do have water and electricity but I consider our place a huge bargain for what leases are going for currently.

-john

Comment

What's this "electricity" and "water" you are referring to?

Dude, get a generator and some water cans and stop griping about it.

We pay $2000 a year to hunt 120 acres. No water, no electricity.

Comment

This is kinda the same deal with us.

LO changed the lease on us and raised the price. So the value from one year to this year is not there. For someone showing up for the first time, the rules and price might be well with in reason.

Basically who is looking at the scenario.

I would take it in a heartbeat at that cost, but my perspective is different from the OP.

Comment

Are you guys afraid of fixing the problem and then have the L.O reneg? Things happen, but a person who cant keep his word is someone I don't want any dealings with.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinTxHuntin View Post
                                The hunting ain't all that great on this place but I'm allowed to bring my kids whenever I want and I that's why I like it there.
                                Most leases should be this way. Sad that they aren't. I've talked to several who wouldn't allow my wife or child or dogs etc haha. I don't take my dog but if my kid and wife can't go then I'll do without. Good luck to you

Comment

Working...
                                X