No announcement yet.

Kamado Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did about an 11 pounder after trim Monday. Rolled at about 225 all day and took about 10 hours. Fat down and never wrapped it. Turned out great. Finishing internal was 185

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rmccall View Post
      Did about an 11 pounder after trim Monday. Rolled at about 225 all day and took about 10 hours. Fat down and never wrapped it. Turned out great. Finishing internal was 185

185???? Was it not tough?

Comment

It was borderline. Lol but not terrible.

Comment

Going to cook a flat on my pellet smoker for the 1st time. Cooking at 225 till 165 IT then transferring to an aluminum pan using a rack. It will be injected before cooking and I will cover it if it looks dry. Cooking until 200 IT, then checking for tenderness. Pull and let sit for ar least a hour covered with a towel. Does that sound like it will work?

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            I cook my competition briskets at 300 and they typically finish in just under 4 hours. They range from 208-212 when I pull them. Always moist, perfect smoke ring, and perfectly tender. If you can cook a brisket in 4 hours that is on the money every time, why go back to waiting around alllllll day and night on one? Sounds like you may have actually been hotter than the 250 you thought you were cooking at. If its not broke, don't fix it! lol
            Previously, I'd never smoked a brisket at more than 235, but had to bake one (10 lbs) recently due to rain. I put it in a roasting pan (with rack) at 350 uncovered for an hour, then filled the bottom with a 1/2" of beef stock (homemade) and tightly foiled it at 275 for 4 more hours til it hit 195. Man was I surprised at how good it came out (even without the smoke flavor).

I think that experience, and your info has sold me. Next smoked brisket is going in at 275-300.

Comment

I'm resting another brisket cooked on the Kamado.

Calibrated my thermometers and cooked at a range of between 250-260 for 6 1/2 hours to an IT of 189 before wrapping in paper. Shut off the vents and am letting it very slowly cool down on the grill.

I think its going to be good but I'll have to report back once I try it.

Comment

I never claimed to be a competition BBQ'er and it probably doesn't meet a judges criteria but... Boy Howdy is that some guuud brisket!
                The bark is set and candy like with a mahogany color
                it doesn't fall apart but pulls easily
                the smoke ring isn't real thick but it's there
                if anything it's too juicy

As to technique I seen no need to smoke 15-20 hours if you can get these results in 6 1/2 plus a rest. This didn't hit the Kamado until 10:00am this morning.

Comment

I have found my PrimoXL cooks a 12-14 lb brisket in 5-8 hours, way faster than my horizontal offset. The offset brisket tastes a lot better, but the ease of a kamado is a big factor.

Comment

I've got a Big Joe and they cook awesome. And yes they are faster than an offset pit.
                    They hold heat better so they are more efficient.
                    If you want a thicker smoke ring put the brisket on colder .
                    Pork Butts come out really good too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X