DIY Pallet wood headboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Pallet wood headboard

We have pretty much been settled in since all the repairs from the flood. The whole house is complete except for the spare bedroom that we keep random stuff in and an air mattress with mismatched sheets.

My wife has family coming into town for a wedding in February and it's our new goal to get the room in order so one of her cousins and her husband can stay with us. We went and bought a mattress, box spring and frame. She had plans of getting a headboard from a local store but didn't find any we liked. So we decided we would go home and search online.

Well the next day I was flooded with about 15 pictures of headboards my wife liked. And after looking at the prices I flipped. I made the mistake of telling my wife " I can't believe those are so expensive! I could make that for under $50". You can guess how the conversation ended.

Here is the picture/idea we decided on

Here is the pile of pallets I have access to at work

I took about 8 home and took apart half of them. Other than that this is where we stand tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a solid and simple plan. Keep us posted on how she turns out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good

Comment

I don't like pallet wood as I don't know what chemicals may be soaked into the wood. I have a local fence builder who lets me scavenge in his tear-out piles and I get lots of cedar from him.

Comment

Good luck....I have to build one as well this weekend....trying to decide between these two ideas

Comment

Make sure to look up the pallet codes. They will tell you wood type, and how it was treated. Some of those have some nasty stuff in them.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
              Make sure to look up the pallet codes. They will tell you wood type, and how it was treated. Some of those have some nasty stuff in them.

Yeah I did. Most of them are just plain Jane pallets for wire. I plan on cleaning whatever boards I use with bleach/soap mixture before use. I also plan on using a natural stain and a couple coats of satin poly to seal anything in that might stay behind.

Comment

Ok took multiple attempts to get the boards laid out the way my wife liked them. But here's how it sits after today. Still need to install the boards on the left and right side to cover the ends and also need to clean, light sand, and stain/seal it all.

Comment

Dang that looks good

Comment

Looks nice

Comment

Dumb question, but did you use a nail gun to put the pallet pieces on or use a glue?

Comment

I really like that alot. Great job

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                          Dumb question, but did you use a nail gun to put the pallet pieces on or use a glue?

I used an 18ga finish nailer. The nails you see are from the original pallets.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                            Dang that looks good

Thanks bud. It will be just a bit darker once stained

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X